Moving a Large Shed

/ Moving a Large Shed #21  

one more word of caution,

a number of years ago, the church had a small building and old one car garage, I had a 24 foot flat bed trailer, and they wanted the building gone and I had need of a storage shed, I went to get it, I bolted 2x6' across the 14 foot wide building every 4 foot, and jacked it up with a hand man jack, back under let the building down, and started the 12 miles home,

ever thing went well until I was 2 miles from home on a dirt road, (went across a cross road) and the crown of the cross road was just a little more than the 2x6' could take, the up lift caused the back 2x6 to crack, in about 100 yards, I could see in my rear view mirror the 2x6 break, the rear down in jerks as they broke, and finally the building is skidding down the road, makes a 90 degree turn and flattens on the road way, in a heap, (hook a chain on it and drag it so a car can pass, head home and get the loader tractor, pile it up on top of it self and drag it home to a pit to be burned, ( if I would have used more lumber, larger or more 2x6's it would have got home),

on what ever you choose to support the building across, DO NOT SKIMP.

/ Moving a Large Shed #22  
I agree don't skimp on support beams. My idea to bolt 6 x 6 s together may not be enough. Maybe if you half lapped them and glued them with several thru bolts and maybe add steel to bridge the seams. If you don't have to turn the building to orient it on the new foundation it will be better. Regardless this is a challenge. Think it thru carefully before attempting it.

But if you do it, be sure to post pics or video.

/ Moving a Large Shed #23  
I moved a 16x24 shed a few years ago. Doesn't sound too bad except I had to take about 150 feet up a 23% grade. I found an old mobile home trailer that was made to move a small portion of a home like an addition. Using a few 4' pieces of 2x 10 and some all thread, I drilled holes thru the floor and secured the building to the trailer with the all thread. Hooked it up to the draw bar on the 650 John Deere dozer and up the hill it went, no problems at all. I 'll have to check with my daughter to see if she still has the picture of it going up the hill, if she does I'll post later.

/ Moving a Large Shed #26  
You now have something you might be able to pull with a 4 wd truck in low.

Just cause you can pull it doesn't mean you should!

Most people oversee the stopping part of the equation; can you imagine what a building of that size weighs??

Not a good. Pony up and pay a professional.

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ Moving a Large Shed #27  
If I needed to move that on my own property and had the time, I would give it a try. There is lots of examples of using people and equipment, you have to decide what resources you have and go from there.

/ Moving a Large Shed #28  
I just moved a loaded 14'x20'. I used 3/16 thick 4" tube steel as skids and 4" round fence posts as rollers on a series of 2"x10" runners laying on the ground.

/ Moving a Large Shed #29  
I just moved a loaded 14'x20'. I used 3/16 thick 4" tube steel as skids and 4" round fence posts as rollers on a series of 2"x10" runners laying on the ground.

There may be something you could buy and resell for planks roller pipes/posts. (plenty of & enough diameter to not dig into planks) Cribbing to set planks level over uneven ground. Jack/crib by inches/hour or day to set on rollers and at end of move. Spend as much time planning as doing. A fair bit of both to DIY, IMO.

Triangulating the braces means less-bulky mat'ls needed, so more of them. ("birdcage" as in the old racing Maserati's) Always lift/support/pull at their vertices.

Move by feet or inches/time as needed. Winch not drive. Attach bridles to multiple winches, spreading pulling force. Go slow. Snap chalk-lines on all building sides at eye-level to monitor vertical flexing as you survey progress. (checking end to end twist not so easy?) Don't hurry. Take diagonal measurements inside to prevent racking in x-y plane. Take your time.

Can't imagine doing this myself :eek: ... :laughing:, I wouldn't know where to start, :rolleyes: and there are confusingly many good ideas above for a guy whose slipping a bit like me.:eek: (old age..)

Got more time, or more bucks? :confused3: I'd expect professionals to be pricey but insured. Consider bids compared to scrounging, buying/selling of lumber, logs, hardware, & food/beverage for helpers. No challenge, no fun.:)

/ Moving a Large Shed #30  
I need to learn how to move a large shed. 28 x 48 feet. It is of 2x4 construction. Trusts are also 2x4. Metal roof. I plan to move it about 70 feet. I also want to raise it about 18 inches onto a cement block foundation. How can I prepare and move this?[/Q

Last edited: