Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #11  
niemeyjt,

I don't see prices for the bags. Do you know the different prices for the various sizes and colors?

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #12  
You need to call them for full pricing- I paid GBP 165 including transport and VAT (Sales Tax) for 50 of the smaller ones in Feb 2010 - the base price was GBP 2.50 which seemed to be in line with what Apache were asking (see below). I bought it from their UK operation not their NA one.

I came to them in a round about way - I originally wanted Apache Forest Products Inc., but Apache pointed me to Japa in Finland who pointed me to these people in UK.

J

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #13  
Thank-you

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #14  
Thanks guys. Seems like its going to be more work than its worth to stack 8 cord on pallets. If I can only stack a couple tier high Im going to need a TON of pallets lol. The whole reason I considered this was so I could stack vertical to save space, with ease of moving a secondary benefit, because of that, using the loader was essential.

I think you're right, it's not going to be worth it and you'll be disappointed. I started bagging my firewood in the spring with bags from the link below. My CK30 (1200lbs lift capacity) couldn't lift a full bag, I had to stop at about 80% and I certainly couldn't stack them. That was one big factor in trading up to my DK45 with 2700lbs lift cap., now I fill them full and stack them with no problem. The problem with the bags I use is they need to be full to retain their shape and not flop to one side.

I use these re-useable vented dumpy bags for my firewood - BAG Supplies Canada Ltd :: Vented Log Bags

On my B1750 - probably similar capabilities to your BX - I use the smaller size - 38x38x40" (97x97x100cm)

These are the guys I use. Amazing service, extremely nice guy. I'm using the vented bags that you fit into a frame over the pallet, fill it up, close the bag and remove the frame. I ordered bags in the afternoon and they arrived the next day. I'll order more as I need them, but can't say enough about the service I got.

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #15  
kiotiken said:
I think you're right, it's not going to be worth it and you'll be disappointed. I started bagging my firewood in the spring with bags from the link below. My CK30 (1200lbs lift capacity) couldn't lift a full bag, I had to stop at about 80% and I certainly couldn't stack them. That was one big factor in trading up to my DK45 with 2700lbs lift cap., now I fill them full and stack them with no problem. The problem with the bags I use is they need to be full to retain their shape and not flop to one side.

These are the guys I use. Amazing service, extremely nice guy. I'm using the vented bags that you fit into a frame over the pallet, fill it up, close the bag and remove the frame. I ordered bags in the afternoon and they arrived the next day. I'll order more as I need them, but can't say enough about the service I got.

Do u have any pics of the steps u described (frame, etc)? I'm curious about the bags not holding shape if they aren't full. Does that mean as u remove firewood to burn, that the bag becomes unstable, and dangerous for kids or pets to be near?

I see the frame on the website. I would think I could just use the tractor forks to hold the bag loops in place, on a pallet. What am I not understanding? I do not see the need for the frame.

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #16  
I still say a larger pair of hydraulic cylinders is in order for the BX25 FEL.
I would have done it weeks ago but funds are not there. I have measured
and drawn the OE FEL Cylinder in CAD which will make the process much
easier I do believe. A 2.5" cylinder w/ a stock 1" shaft, if I remember right,
almost doubles the performance w/o even touching the pressure relief valve!

Yea yea yea, the sky is falling and I am going to bend my FEL. If I do I get
to fix it or buy a new one. End of story. I am of the belief a responsible
driver not doing silly stuff would benefit much.

I am not 100% sold on the 2.5" , 2.25" may be wiser.

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #17  
Thanks guys. Seems like its going to be more work than its worth to stack 8 cord on pallets. If I can only stack a couple tier high Im going to need a TON of pallets lol. The whole reason I considered this was so I could stack vertical to save space, with ease of moving a secondary benefit, because of that, using the loader was essential.

I still might build a set of forks, probably the chain on style, just for general use, moving logs, and taking the garbage to the highway on a pallet for garbage day.

Do u have any pics of the steps u described (frame, etc)? I'm curious about the bags not holding shape if they aren't full. Does that mean as u remove firewood to burn, that the bag becomes unstable, and dangerous for kids or pets to be near?

I see the frame on the website. I would think I could just use the tractor forks to hold the bag loops in place, on a pallet. What am I not understanding? I do not see the need for the frame.

I'll try and get a pic or two, I'm not sure were I stuck them right now. I start by putting a pallet on the ground. I then have a steel frame that I made up, looks like a gate, that I place around the pallet. I take a bag, put it on the inside of the frame and use spring clamps to hold the top of the bag to the top of the frame. Then I just start splitting and throwing the wood straight into the bag. Once it's full, I take off the spring clamps, pull the draw string and open one of the corners of the frame and remove it. I pick it up with the tractor (I'll guess it's about 1200 - 1500 lbs) and stack them. I do two side by side and one in the middle on top for a triangle shape. My stack is about 30' long and about 8' tall.

I've never unloaded one, this is a new thing for me. I don't think they'll be unstable and unsafe when they're alone on the ground. I don't love the first couple I have that I have others stacked on, but it shouldn't be an issue when I go to use them. I'm planning on building a dolly type skid so I can bring one over to the house, put it on the dolly and roll it to the corner of the deck and use it from there.

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #18  
kiotiken said:
I'll try and get a pic or two, I'm not sure were I stuck them right now. I start by putting a pallet on the ground. I then have a steel frame that I made up, looks like a gate, that I place around the pallet. I take a bag, put it on the inside of the frame and use spring clamps to hold the top of the bag to the top of the frame. Then I just start splitting and throwing the wood straight into the bag. Once it's full, I take off the spring clamps, pull the draw string and open one of the corners of the frame and remove it. I pick it up with the tractor (I'll guess it's about 1200 - 1500 lbs) and stack them. I do two side by side and one in the middle on top for a triangle shape. My stack is about 30' long and about 8' tall.

I've never unloaded one, this is a new thing for me. I don't think they'll be unstable and unsafe when they're alone on the ground. I don't love the first couple I have that I have others stacked on, but it shouldn't be an issue when I go to use them. I'm planning on building a dolly type skid so I can bring one over to the house, put it on the dolly and roll it to the corner of the deck and use it from there.

That sounds like a great system. I look forward to the pics if u find them. Thank-you.

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #20  
niemeyjt said:
From the Apache site, this looks like it may be similar to Ken's

Fast Firewood B120 Firewood Bag - YouTube

J

Oh... That's very different from the frame I saw on the Canadian site u linked to. So these bags don't have the loops like the ones u bought...

Still a cool system. It's cool to have good options. Just makes it hard to pick one :)