Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks
According to Shaw Brick http://www.shawbrick.ca/coll/?page.id=6&product-subtype.id=1&collection.id=14#{%22collection-tab%22:%22collectionProductSpecsSection%22}

Their typical 8x4 brick paver weighs 6lbs/ea.. 208 pavers is 1248lbs + pallet (40?) + pallet mover (???) So a fair bit of weight there. I noticed on the Mahindra site they compared it to the L3200, not the class of machine I expected them to. The Max looks to be a pretty strong tractor in a small package.

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #32  
According to Shaw Brick http://www.shawbrick.ca/coll/?page.id=6&product-subtype.id=1&collection.id=14#{%22collection-tab%22:%22collectionProductSpecsSection%22}

Their typical 8x4 brick paver weighs 6lbs/ea.. 208 pavers is 1248lbs + pallet (40?) + pallet mover (???) So a fair bit of weight there. I noticed on the Mahindra site they compared it to the L3200, not the class of machine I expected them to. The Max looks to be a pretty strong tractor in a small package.

Cool! Thanks for the link to the paver weight.

I'm a beginner, in the tractor arena. But I think the one I picked will work out good. For some jobs (for my needs) it's a hair too big, and for other jobs, I might wish it a hair bigger. But, bigger just would be too big (for my situation). And smaller would have prevented me from doing some of the potential projects we are pondering.

Picking the right tractor is a challenge. That's why many here have more than one. And then there's John Thomas. He gets a new one every two weeks, I think. :eek:

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #33  
A bx will lift over 1000lbs on the 3ph.

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #34  
This is one of the projects I undid (am I the only one that undoes projects?) today... Pavers were stacked on the pallet, to be used at a later date, for something yet unknown. :confused:

I'm impressed. I unloaded a friends pickup for him a couple weeks ago and I struggled to lift much more than that with my DK45 which has a FEL lift cap of 2700lbs. At first I was a little confused why I couldn't back away from the truck, then I realize the rear tires where spinning and almost in the air! 1200lbs in the tires and a 450lbs box blade on the 3pt isn't even close to enough ballast. Put it in 4X4 and got the load as low as possible after clearing the truck bed.

The BX's are great for what they where designed to do, but pallets loaded like that are not on the list. With bolt on forks, I think I'd forget it, with a small pair of pallet forks, you may come up with something that works, but I'm going to guess you'll be moving between 1/4 and 1/3 cord per pallet, and you probably won't be able to stack them.

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #35  
I'm impressed. I unloaded a friends pickup for him a couple weeks ago and I struggled to lift much more than that with my DK45 which has a FEL lift cap of 2700lbs. At first I was a little confused why I couldn't back away from the truck, then I realize the rear tires where spinning and almost in the air! 1200lbs in the tires and a 450lbs box blade on the 3pt isn't even close to enough ballast. Put it in 4X4 and got the load as low as possible after clearing the truck bed.

I hope u r still impressed when I clarify that the load of pavers was on the rear... ;)

I'll have to test out that pallet on the FEL and let u know the results. My forks weigh (I think) 350lbs. So...I'm thinkin' the pallet ain't comin off the ground with the FEL, based on the weight assumptions given a few posts ago. But... we will see... :D

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks
A bx will lift over 1000lbs on the 3ph.

Yes it will. My 825 lb Box Blade :D http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/249062-adding-weight-underweight-box-blade.html

IMG_4070.jpg

/ Moving firewood palette with BX, bolt on forks #40  
I just wanted to comment ,from persoanal experience,I have made 'boxes' with pallets for wood. First on the pallet I add 2x4 coener posts to it, and then some whatever wood around the top perimeter, then I use old metal fencing to make the outsides of it.I keep one side lower than the other four so i can bend in and reach the wood.
This has worked so well, I now want them from pressure treated wood.
And a point, with the clamp on forks or any time you dont have a clear view of the forks, I now make SKIDS .(like a pallet without the lower bottom boards.)In fact my new bases are going to e 6x6 or 2x4 pressure treated with 5/4 decking.So they will last.
Anyways a skid is far easier to slide under when we cant see the forks.Once you get the feel of the forks by lowing to the ground and then raise it a couple inches. then right under.Not being able to see the fork ends is a real pain..