Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #151  
My 2003 duramax had a couple of settings on the DIC (driver information center) for (as I recall) private and business.
I used one for towing and one for without trailer.

With a 40 ft horse trailer MOST drivers will both accelerate and decelerate gently (if they have any consideration for the horses).
Towing I would get about 12 or 13 to the gallon, day's average speed ( WITH watering and hay net stuffing stops) would usually be 50 MPH and that is what I would budget my time against. Overnight barns are mostly FAR from interstate highways, so country road mileage figures into economy and speed averages - - sure, I would do 65 or so on the highway, but the day's average would be 50 so 500 per day would be a fair plan - BTW on long trips this holds DESPITE most construction work, detours and accidents. Those don't affect the total journey time as much as they give the illusion that "this taking forEVER !

If you haul far you need patience anyway, a few HP short only gives the illusion of delay, you will get stuck behind SOMETHING every day, but the day is a day long - just wait it out and get there safely.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #152  
Honestly, I don‘t know what the problem is. The DPF systems lately seem to be pretty stout. I think there’s a lot of rumors out there from 10+ years ago when they were more problematic. Be sure to get fresh DEF and keep the tank close to full.
The problem we have up here is with DEF tanks freezing in winter. All it takes is parking outside somewhere where I guess (?) you can't plug in? Since I've not had a diesel up here, I don't know if the DEF tank heater has a separate a/c plug in or not? Again, I'm not sure, but I think the only "heater" for the tank needs the engine running to work?

I don't think I've ever met someone up here who's DEF tank hasn't frozen, at least once. Of course it's not covered under warranty, either.

I'm still quite happy to have the gas engine instead.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #153  
Had one DEF tank freeze up completely. Can't really blame it though, as that pickup had sat unused for about three months and it had been well under 12 degrees for the very most part.

Seems the heater in the tank couldn't keep up with the demand for DEF, so after about 50 miles the dash lit up. A quick stop at the destination probably helped, and the 70 mile return trip also did (engine heat, etc.).

Weather eventually warmed back up and all was good again. But, my girlfriend never really trusted that 2500 afterwards and bought a 6.4 3500 instead. After all, she doesn't get to pick what the weather will be like when a horse has to go to the vet.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #154  
Had one DEF tank freeze up completely. Can't really blame it though, as that pickup had sat unused for about three months and it had been well under 12 degrees for the very most part.

Seems the heater in the tank couldn't keep up with the demand for DEF, so after about 50 miles the dash lit up. A quick stop at the destination probably helped, and the 70 mile return trip also did (engine heat, etc.).

Weather eventually warmed back up and all was good again. But, my girlfriend never really trusted that 2500 afterwards and bought a 6.4 3500 instead. After all, she doesn't get to pick what the weather will be like when a horse has to go to the vet.
12 degrees?

We call that "fall", or "spring", lol.

Sounds like it froze enough at 12 F to be slushy maybe? Or ice on top? Not sure when Urea freezes solid (google says at +12F!), but up here the problem is when they freeze (-40F winters), they freeze solid and bust. Along with various plumbing pieces headed to the DPF.

I wish someone would develop a modern clean burning (enough to satisfy the EPA) emissions system for diesel engines that could meet standards without all that hogwash added in the filter on the way out.

Then maybe I'd consider a diesel engine again.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #155  
Yeah, that's why I mentioned "well under 12 degrees" since that's supposedly when DEF starts to freeze.

Anyway, a vehicle used daily probably wouldn't be nearly as susceptible to frozen DEF as one that sits for months, like in our case. And people have installed heating blankets on tanks, apparently with some success.

And at least on a Ram there shouldn't be anything but the tank itself that would freeze, since the line to the injector is purged automatically at shut-off.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #156  
I never had a REAL problem with the '03 duramax, but of course that was pre def.
At that time folk were grousing about (somehow) filling up with summer blend in the Carolinas and (same day) leaving it overnight in the frozen north of Maine. Well, smart Alec, top up with local seasonal blend before nightfall.

I am WAY out of date on this stuff, but there used to be stick on 12 volt heaters for oil sumps on big construction equipment - OK, so you would need some battery capacity for it.
If DEF tanks are plastic you would need some sort of sheet metal heat spreader (I'm guessing here)
aluminum or copper flashing maybe.

(-:

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #157  
At that time folk were grousing about (somehow) filling up with summer blend in the Carolinas and (same day) leaving it overnight in the frozen north of Maine. Well, smart Alec, top up with local seasonal blend before nightfall.
Driving my 3500 infrequently, it's more common than not that I take off with winter fuel in the summer, and vice versa.

For winter driving, it's easy enough to add some anti gel. Which the storage tanks also need even though they're not going anywhere.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #158  
I have a 2018 Duramax. Bought it in '19 with only 3k miles on it. It now has about 43k, so I'm good for about 10k per year. 90% of that is back and forth to work. I had an '07 GMC 2500HD 6.0 gasser before this one. Due to GCWR the trailers I had bought for the GMC were the typical 10,000# dump trailer and equipment trailer. Both are still sufficient for my needs so I haven't gone bigger just because I have the diesel with a little more capacity. Although, I will say that the diesel works a lot less harder to pull the same loads, especially from a dead stop and up and down the mountains and ridges in my area. It pulls much better, and feels safer and more controllable down hill. I love it.

I recently drove my Dad's '16 1/2 ton 5.3L Silverado over one of the local mountain roads and I think my diesel would have pulled 10,000# just as well as Dad's truck pulled itself up the mountain. Maybe a little exaggeration but it sure did feel weak compared to my truck. When your 2500HD diesel is also your daily driver you tend to forget how spoiled you are with it. Enough so that unless I drop to only towing on my 3,000# trailer I don't think I'll ever go back to a half ton. I would rather have more power and stability than I actually need, than not have enough.

My Duramax is an LTZ so it has all the bells and whistles, pretty much only short of the painted bumpers of a High Country. I see nothing wrong with having all the options along with a workhorse of a truck. It is my daily driver and right now it's not in the cards to have a second vehicle for myself. I already have 4 vehicles on the road between my truck, the wife and kids. It's a do everything vehicle including some road trips. If I was on a farm, bringing in firewood, construction vehicle or something, I can see just getting a base model work truck and a second nicer vehicle for day to day. Otherwise, call it a lux truck or whatever I really don't care. It has nothing to do with the Jones's, status symbol, or whatever. One vehicle serves every purpose or need and I have yet to feel like I wanted something more in a truck. And right now I have zero regrets compared to a half ton. Diesel prices, DEF, fuel filter, 10 qt. oil changes, larger and heavier brakes, parts, etc. is all well worth it.

Last edited:
   / Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #159  
I recently drove my Dad's '16 1/2 ton 5.3L Silverado over one of the local mountain roads and I think my diesel would have pulled 10,000# just as well as Dad's truck pulled itself up the mountain. Maybe a little exaggeration but it sure did feel weak compared to my truck. When you're 2500HD diesel is also your daily driver you tend to forget how spoiled you are with it. Enough so that unless I drop to only towing on my 3,000# trailer I don't think I'll ever go back to a half ton. I would rather have more power and stability than I actually need, than not have enough.

Couldn't agree more! Feel the same about my diesel...it seems to just loaf along, no stress or strain, over mountain passes despite hauling a big load.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #160  
Man I wish I could find a non-rusted 3500 LBZ reg cab 4WD for a plow truck.