Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #141  
Get it deleted if you don’t have to go thru emission testing in your area. You will be amazed at the HP currently not being used.
You better look at what the emissions are, they are Federal! That's the EPA clean air act that you would be up against. There are way to may companies and individuals that wished they hadn't done any deleting! Big fines, trucks impounded and shops aren't allowed to work on them or face large fines! Caution on what you do. Any vehicle can be stopped on the road by a DOT officer, not just commercial vehicles. My Ram 3500 is stock and works prefect for my needs!

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #142  
Oddly enough, my '17 3500 C&C (with its derated engine) works just fine in stock form. Well, I've never been (much) over 39,000 lbs. GCVW here in the Rockies.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #143  
You better look at what the emissions are, they are Federal! That's the EPA clean air act that you would be up against. There are way to may companies and individuals that wished they hadn't done any deleting! Big fines, trucks impounded and shops aren't allowed to work on them or face large fines! Caution on what you do. Any vehicle can be stopped on the road by a DOT officer, not just commercial vehicles. My Ram 3500 is stock and works prefect for my needs!
Yep days of deletes are all but over. Thats why you buy pre emission diesels if you want to mess with stuff.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #144  
Honestly, I don‘t know what the problem is. The DPF systems lately seem to be pretty stout. I think there’s a lot of rumors out there from 10+ years ago when they were more problematic. Be sure to get fresh DEF and keep the tank close to full.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #145  
"Performance" issues while towing HEAVY ?

Me sees cognitive dissonance (-:

Just take it easy, so you lose a few seconds on the long steep grades - so what ?
Unless you are doing 3 or 4 hundred mile trips you won't notice the difference to total journey time.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #146  
2008 f350 I just bought is totally deleted. No cats in exhaust, straight pipe. Wow, what a difference from other 6.4's I've driven. If I wanted mileage, I wouldn't buy a 1 ton

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #147  
2008 f350 I just bought is totally deleted. No cats in exhaust, straight pipe. Wow, what a difference from other 6.4's I've driven. If I wanted mileage, I wouldn't buy a 1 ton
6.4 is an amazing engine to build power with. Have fun with it.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #148  
Honestly, I don‘t know what the problem is. The DPF systems lately seem to be pretty stout. I think there’s a lot of rumors out there from 10+ years ago when they were more problematic. Be sure to get fresh DEF and keep the tank close to full.

^This.

Sure, when they first went into effect, like with all new technologies there were teething problems. They seem to be sorted out now. I know several guys with newer diesels and they just love them. None of them have reported any problems with the engines or the transmissions.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #149  
^This.

Sure, when they first went into effect, like with all new technologies there were teething problems. They seem to be sorted out now. I know several guys with newer diesels and they just love them. None of them have reported any problems with the engines or the transmissions.
Again Merica! There are some people that don't like emissions systems due to the complexity they bring. They were brought up with simple diesels that required no special tools and limited electronics. You can argue that emissions systems are better today but its impossible to argue that they are less troublesome than not being there. I really dont care one way or the other as long as there are salvage yards with blocks it makes no difference to me. Emissions are also a huge reason for the cost of new trucks. They have to not only figure out how to meet the standards but warranty the system so the consumer eats both of those. Again I dont care I think new trucks look ridiculous there is not one made in the last 15 years I would consider buying.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #150  
Just take it easy, so you lose a few seconds on the long steep grades - so what ?
Unless you are doing 3 or 4 hundred mile trips you won't notice the difference to total journey time.
Most of my trips are a minimum of 300 miles, one way, and with plenty of long and steep grades. Yet, the lifetime average speed is 62 mph, and that's by far mostly on twisty 2-lane roads.

It sure seems like it's the people that seldom tow, or very little weight, that crave the extra power - be it from a stock engine or through deletes.