Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #11  
Thanks Murph and Bull.
But it looks like maybe the LA463 isn't equiped with the universal quick attach. Without that, is it possible to replace the bucket with forks? How much work is involved to swap back and forth? I only would do it once or twice a year.Terry

I agree with the others. Take the bucket off and either attach a spike, or better yet a set of pallet forks. With pallet forks, you can get under the bale and curl the forks back so the center of gravity of the bale is almost directly over the loader lift pins. Much easier to move them that way, than when they are hanging 3 feet in front of the loader. I move 3X4X8 all the time with pallet forks and a L39. Of course a L39 is a heavier tractor than a 3400, but you would be surprised at how much difference a set of forks makes.

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #12  
My brother in law has a NH 2310 and had the bolt onto the bucket type hay spear and was barely handling the 1000 # round bales. I built him a QA attached hay spear using an old rear 3PH spear and a QA plate from Everything Attachments. Now it handles the large round bales stacked 2 high with ease. You should be able to do the same with your tractor but have to use the pin on type which should be even better as they are closer to the tractor and minus the weight of the FEL QA plates.
Lots of folks are ready to get you to spend several thousand $$$ on a new tractor when all you really need is a pin on hay spear or pallet forks. Either of those would work for your situation for around $500.

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Does anyone know if the connection pins for the LA463 loader on the Kubota are 'universal'? Can I buy a pallet fork that would use those same connections? Since I usually only have to deal with this once a year, I think I could live with swapping the bucket for a pallet fork.

Terry

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #14  
As others have said, use a three point hitch mounted bale spear on the back of the tractor and save many dollars.

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #15  
As others have said, use a three point hitch mounted bale spear on the back of the tractor and save many dollars.

For once a year, that's what I'd do.

I'd like to stack them (2 high). Can a three point hith spear setup go that high (3 feet)?

Terry

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #17  
I'd like to stack them (2 high). Can a three point hith spear setup go that high (3 feet)?

Terry

It'd be close. Or make a little ramp to back up on? More than one way to skin a cat. :)

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #18  
With the 3 pt set up in the right manner, pick the bale up at the lowest point. As you raise the bale, the back side is normally higher than the tractor side. Slide it over the lower bale as far as you can, hopefully more than half way, and when you pull forward, it should stay. IF you have multiple top link attach points, experiment till you find the right combination. Longer spears would also allow you to gain some height by increasing the distance between the bale and tractor. I have seen a bale mover with a built in hydraulic cylinder to raise the bale higher but the cost is probably not justifiable. Watch your local craigslist or auctions, find a cheap 3 pt spear and if it doesn't suit you, resale it. One thing to watch out for, with 3'x3' bales, you want to spear them. Some 3 pt bale movers are made for sliding under round bales. If you try sliding under a 3x3, it may break the twine. A lot of good comments above and hope this helps.

/ Moving hay bales (3x3x8 1000lbs) w/ L3400 #19  
We had the same issue with hay last winter. Ended up getting 4x4.5 round bales which weighed roughly 600 lbs. I simply strapped them to the front of the bucket and had zero problems moving them around with the L3400. We used 5 or 6 of them in late winter, so it wasn't like we were moving them all the time either.

Having said that, the bucket itself probably weighs over 200 lbs, so you lose that much lift capacity right off the bat. A purpose built bale spear for the loader is a good solution, although removing the non-QA bucket every time is a pain.

The QA loader plate and bucket are still available from Kubota, although they're a special order item here, about 45 days lead time according to my dealer. My price would have been about $1000 for the two items, plus the cost of a QA bale spear, usually around $300. I wanted the flexibility of using the loader to move bales, so that would be the route I'd take.

If you don't mind removing the old bucket when you need to move hay, a pin-on bale spear is your best solution weight-wise. Making one fit will probably entail some cutting and welding to build a frame for the spear, if you don't have that capability you'd need to hire someone to build it for you. Probably under $1k, but slower than simply driving into the QA type spear and bucket, which will also have slightly reduced lift capacity because of the mounting geometry.

A three-point spear will definitely do the job, so the L3400 has the capability although it may be less than ideal. Stacking two high might be a problem with the 3-point, I've not tried it myself.

Anyway, you've got a few options to explore before you go buying a new tractor. Since it's someone else's idea, maybe they're willing to use their money too?? :laughing:

One thing it definitely needs either way is a rear ballast box or at the very least loaded tires. The L3400 is light to begin with, which is the reason the loader is rated fairly low in lift capacity.

Sean

Thanks everyone. Some great advice here. I'm set for this year, and I don't know if we will ever entertain getting the big bales again. It sorta depends on how the wife likes feeding from them. They are stacked in the barn, right next to the horse stalls, so hopefully they won't be much extra work for her. We usually get the small bales (60 to 80 lbs). But this year these were scarce due to the heavy rains in Colorado ruining some of the crops. Oddly, the big bales are not cheaper (per pound) than the small bales, so there really isn't much incentive for me to mess with them again unless they continue to be easier to find.
I'm pretty sure that if I had a pallet fork or bale spear setup that took the place of my bucket, that the L3400 would handle the large bales no problem. I was able to lift them (just barely) with homemade pallet forks extending out in front of the bucket. So with the bucket removed and the load in close, it should be doable. The box blade on the back keeps the wheels on the ground when using the bucket, and it would almost keep them on the ground with the bales out in front of the bucket, so I'm sure it would be OK with the load in closer. A weight box would be nice though, since it would be easier to manuever in the barn. It got pretty tight in there with a big ol' bale of hay sticking out three feet in front of the bucket and the box blade on the back.
So I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal and hopefully be better prepared next year if we go this way again.
Thanks again.

Terry