Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
We have been toying with the idea of getting a travel trailer. If we did, the best place to store it would be in our back woods, which are fenced in. There's driveway and gate and space between trees sufficient to drive multiple cars back there and turn them around. But I doubt I could get a trailer in there and get it out again with it hitched to the back of my car.

I think I could do it with a ball hitch mounted to my FEL, and I already have the SSQA adapter to do that, which I sometimes use with a short 2" square boom pole. It is easy to compare trailer tongue weights and FEL capacities, so I know that particular load requirement could be met.

What is harder to know is what happens when the tractor is moving the trailer gross vehicle weight. If my space was flat, this wouldn't be an issue. But I do have some slopes. I can imagine scenarios where I would want the tractor to move the trailer up and down the driveway which has a 14% grade at the steepest point, and I don't like the thought of doing that while imagining what would happen if I popped out of gear, or getting complacent and then realizing I was pulling back hard and had forgotten to engage 4WD. At a minimum I would have to be OK with about a 5% grade while turning, and I can imagine jackknifing.

So... any experience or rules of thumb or guidance about GVW and FEL hitching? Does anybody here do something similar?

P.S. Yes, I know things could grow rambunctious if I tried to use the 3PT instead, because there's no downforce and the trailer could crowd behind me and drive the hitch point upward until things got away from me. We're not making that mistake! I have a drawbar I could use. I just figured the FEL would be better because the front end of the trailer would be more easily steered where I want it if it were in front of the tractor steering wheels and in my plain view.

Thanks!!

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #2  
We have been toying with the idea of getting a travel trailer. If we did, the best place to store it would be in our back woods, which are fenced in. There's driveway and gate and space between trees sufficient to drive multiple cars back there and turn them around. But I doubt I could get a trailer in there and get it out again with it hitched to the back of my car.

I think I could do it with a ball hitch mounted to my FEL, and I already have the SSQA adapter to do that, which I sometimes use with a short 2" square boom pole. It is easy to compare trailer tongue weights and FEL capacities, so I know that particular load requirement could be met.

What is harder to know is what happens when the tractor is moving the trailer gross vehicle weight. If my space was flat, this wouldn't be an issue. But I do have some slopes. I can imagine scenarios where I would want the tractor to move the trailer up and down the driveway which has a 14% grade at the steepest point, and I don't like the thought of doing that while imagining what would happen if I popped out of gear, or getting complacent and then realizing I was pulling back hard and had forgotten to engage 4WD. At a minimum I would have to be OK with about a 5% grade while turning, and I can imagine jackknifing.

So... any experience or rules of thumb or guidance about GVW and FEL hitching? Does anybody here do something similar?

P.S. Yes, I know things could grow rambunctious if I tried to use the 3PT instead, because there's no downforce and the trailer could crowd behind me and drive the hitch point upward until things got away from me. We're not making that mistake! I have a drawbar I could use. I just figured the FEL would be better because the front end of the trailer would be more easily steered where I want it if it were in front of the tractor steering wheels and in my plain view.

Thanks!!
I have a ball adapter I use on one FEL fork. I slide the fork to centre to give equal lift on the arms. This adapter clamps on easily and quickly. I use it to position a very heavy wood splitter, boat trailer and loaded log trailer. I don't want to advise on your weight / slope question.
But I can tell you pushing and pulling with the FEL can get squirrelly. You just have to get used to it. When pushing the extended front hitch point makes a huge sweeping arc. Any turn of the steering will cause large sweeps. Same thing for rises and dips in the terrain. Slight holes or humps will cause huge ups and downs. Just be aware and go slow.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #3  
I've got both (front and rear hitches) on my L3400. I move trailers up to 3500lbs (2 horse + tack)

For spotting(backing) a trailer into a tight spot, the FEL is the way to go. but any distance the 3point is preferred.

Given the low cost of adding a hitch ball to both ends I'd just get both... you can chain down the 3pt if your afraid of up lift.

one thing to note: with the centered driving position and no mirrors seeing down the sides of a enclosed trailer is difficult

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #4  
If you can, use a ball on the drawbar to get the trailer close to it's home then use the FEL to place it. The weight of the trailer tongue on the drawbar will greatly help plant the rear of the tractor. Also, side loads won't bother it like it does when using the FEL.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #5  
I got ball hitch that I clamp to FEL with 2 straps to avoid side to side movement. Use it to move 22' boat on trailer to the garage for storage. Works fine no problem. Sometimes use it to move 3200# dump trailer. I wouldn't use it down the hill...

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #6  
I also use my Kubota L3400 to move any of my trailers. For me, that's the best way to go. I can precisely set the trailer on any spot desired. I'll admit though, my backing a trailer up with my pickup is a total joke. Never learned how to do that. Admittedly, it's entaining for on-lookers.

(No advice on the incline nor weight.)

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #7  
I use my FEL mounted hitch to move my flatbed car trailer from time to time. It works well, but I'm not lifting anywhere near the tongue weight you are. As long as you're hitching plenty of ballast weight to the 3 pt hitch, and you've matched FEL capacity to LOADED (not "dry") tongue weight on your trailer, well then have at it.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #8  
I use a SSQA plate with 2" receiver on the Skid Steer to move an enclosed Cargo trailer. It works good but visibility is poor. Visibility might be better with a tractor, operator further away from the hitch point. In any case you will need a spotter.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #9  
Whatever you do, DO NOT use anything that clamps on, only use ball attachment that are securely bolted, pinned or welded.....

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #10  

Thanks!!
You didnt tell us about your tractor or trailer size?