Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #11  
I use my tractor to spin my RV in our upper driveway so I can back it into its parking spot. Driveway is gravel, and I use a 3 point receiver to attach it to the tractor (The pivot spot is flat). The RV is 35 feet long with dual axles, and probably between 8 and 9K lbs depending on what is in it.

Before a trip a while back, I was looking at the suspension of the trailer, and noted the rear tire leaf spring was resting on the frame and the shackle plate connecting leaf to equalizer had sheared! (see photo)

After the repair I got to wondering how this could have happened. the next time I was spinning the RV I noticed that the act of spinning the RV in place was putting side torque on the tire (one wheel was pushing inward, the other outward). I am not 100% sure, but I think this was the cause of the shackle shearing.

All this to say, if you are trying to turn a dual axle trailer 180 degrees (using the 3 point or FEL), Keep an eye on any sideways pressures being put on the suspension system!

20230716_171249 (002).jpg

Last edited:
   / Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #12  
If you can, use a ball on the drawbar to get the trailer close to it's home then use the FEL to place it. The weight of the trailer tongue on the drawbar will greatly help plant the rear of the tractor. Also, side loads won't bother it like it does when using the FEL.
Be wary of twisting your FEL arms when acutely turning the trailer to position it.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #13  
The heavier the tractor (especially the rear), the better.
The disadvantage, is weight on the FEL makes the rear tires and rear traction less.
I’d want a plan B when thing go wrong.
14% grade is steep!
What happens when you need to drop the FEL and use the trailer stands as brakes?
Is there a way to use the trailer brakes?

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL.
You didnt tell us about your tractor or trailer size?
Fair 'nuff. The tractor is a NH WM25 with LC200 FEL that is 3400 lbs dry, plus 500 lbs for filled R4 rears, plus 800 on the rear counterweight if I use it (which I probably would unless the spaces are too tight). The trailer, well, I haven't chosen or bought one yet. I'm thinking, roughly, around 4000 lbs. That is, it'd be a pretty light travel trailer, though not the lightest you can get. Part of the choosing process is thinking through my towing vehicle and any other handling considerations. Not sure if it would wind up having 1 or 2 axles.

My driveway is a bit twisty-turny, as well as having varying slopes. It's probably a workable approach to get the trailer up the hill with my car, and only tractor it around on the upper part which is fairly flat. I should measure the steepest region of the upper part but I bet it's no more than 5% grade.

If I knew for sure that my tractor could easily move the trailer anywhere on my property I wanted it, that would relax some of the limitations on choosing the trailer, but I don't know if the tractor can do that easily. At this stage that's what I'm trying to pin down.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL.
14% grade is steep!
What happens when you need to drop the FEL and use the trailer stands as brakes?
Is there a way to use the trailer brakes?
O my yes, 14% is steep!

I figured I could drop the FEL if everything else goes wrong. I might even tie rubber onto the bottom of the trailer stand to make it grab better.

Not sure the trailer will have brakes - do they all, even the small ones? The tiny little utility trailer I had didn't.

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #16  
...At a minimum I would have to be OK with about a 5% grade while turning, and I can imagine jackknifing.

So... any experience or rules of thumb or guidance about GVW and FEL hitching? Does anybody here do something similar?
I do what you describe, and my paved road is 15% grade, measured, for hundreds of feet.

I have pulled and pushed with my FEL my flatbed dually trailer (1500#), 2 towable manlifts (2500#), and the chipper in this photo (2500#).

Turning sharply on this kind of slope, even on pavement, is to be done very carefully, and always in 4WD, low range. Jackknifing is a real risk. That noted, my tractors were 2x or more the weight of the trailers, 5000-5500#.

I did go off my pavement pulling/pushing all 4 of these machines, and did go on steeper slopes, but it got too dodgy to do any significant turning on the slopes. Better to pull uphill, vs. push.

I prefer a bolted-on ball, or welded-on receiver. My Kioti's forks can attach a dedicated custom trailer-tender that works quite well.

Be careful.

Attachments

• chipper_2011.jpg
    chipper_2011.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 55
   / Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #17  
That's awful nice of you to provide a trailer home for all the mice and rodents in the nearby woods. ;)
Dont ask how I know....

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #18  
Little late to the party. Like someone above said above, better to pull uphill, and to push downhill. My empty tandem axle flat bed trailer weighing about 3000# tried to jack knive my B26TLB hitch to oneside of my FEL arms, while pulling downhill. And yes twisting tandem axles especially when loaded, are hard on the suspension. Jon

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #19  
I just have an attachment for my 3 point. Throw a ball on it and go

/ Moving travel trailer around with ball on FEL. #20  
I broke a FEL arm weld on my old B7100 when moving a 2000# trailer. I made too tight a turn pushing the trailer uphill. FEL's aren't designed to handle excessive side loads.