Mower style advise needed.

/ Mower style advise needed.
Another question, Would a hammer flail mower be a better choice than a rotary mower? ( Uneven ground, finish quality) (It would be nice to just run over limbs vs pick them up......)

Never ran a flail style mower before.

/ Mower style advise needed. #22  
Another question, Would a hammer flail mower be a better choice than a rotary mower? ( Uneven ground, finish quality) (It would be nice to just run over limbs vs pick them up......)

Never ran a flail style mower before.

So I'm thinking it is a bigger problem than just a bumpy field. It sounds like you needed to have something like a hydroax to clean and level the site before you planted grass.??

tree guys last day-chipping 010_1.JPG

/ Mower style advise needed. #23  
   / Mower style advise needed. #24  
Bumps is one of the biggest reasons I switched to a Toolcat. It handles skid steer implements up front, has a pto and 3pt out back (5610), has 4 wheel suspension and all wheel steer. I too planted forage and prairie grasses where I had 1800 trees removed.

Good luck mowing 50 acres with that!

I would do it with ours with the A/C on and the 7' brush hog:

P5250024.JPG
P5260002.JPG

P5280003.JPG
P9250001.JPG

/ Mower style advise needed. #25  
Good idea re making a drag from logs. I知 gonna try that although I致e much less area to do.

It was suggested that I try to drag a tree behind to finish. It works.

Before I drag my pile of cut weedy trees to the burn pile, I always take them for a ride up and down trails, it really works well.8718D496-BA9A-44EC-9098-CF4BF11F66E5.jpeg

/ Mower style advise needed. #26  
I would do it with ours with the A/C on and the 7' brush hog:
I just mowed my rough areas yesterday with the 3pt rotary cutter. I had the A/C and radio on and the wife was riding along. She helped me spot the tree tubes where I planted some oaks among the 4' grass. I'm really thinking about getting one of those Brushcat$ to go up front.

/ Mower style advise needed. #27  
It was suggested that I try to drag a tree behind to finish. It works.

Before I drag my pile of cut weedy trees to the burn pile, I always take them for a ride up and down trails, it really works well.

A 40' Blue spruce works good too. They will automatically widen a path too!

/ Mower style advise needed. #28  
I don't know, but would pulling a 6,000 roller when wet smooth out bumps or would it just compound the problem?

Jeff also mentioned this was done in his area by hay farmers and as now retired hay farmers they work. However the ground has normally been disk first. How soft your soil is with being wet would be major factor in this. Now they do not use a 1,000 pound roller, the are major. Would say look to rent one or hire even a paving company to roll the field.

But based upon no real idea what you are up against would make another suggestion, most likely you have some sort of rear blade or box blade. Fifty acres is not that large if only a few spots for a slow ride with hand on the lift lever. If the full fifty acres, then disk it and role or use a land plan or some to level it. A farmer will here would use roller if they had one or a field cultivator which is rows of spring mounted small sweeps. Don't remember your desired use of the land but you could graze it.

/ Mower style advise needed.
Yes, I think the box drag tactic is what I am going to do this weekend.
The watershed council ( Oak Savannah restoration ) has in the prescription for the land to mow it every year or so to encourage native plants and knock down poison oak, blackberry and such. So I know this will be a yearly occurrence and was looking for a better way to "Comfortably" mow it. I will knock the highs into the lows and see how it fills in.

/ Mower style advise needed. #30  
Is your 4760's loader still mounted on the tractor when you mow?
If so, try taking it off and mowing with it removed. All that extra mass (around 1200 lb) moving up and down out front makes a rougher ride for the operator.
I mow 10 acres of lumpy fields with a 50+ hp L5450 and a 90" Woods 3-spindle finish mower. I remove the LA1150 loader and the woods is on 4 large swivel castors. There's less forward and rear mass rigidly hooked to the tractor trying to follow the uneven ground - so its a less jerky ride.