mowing in reverse

/ mowing in reverse #12  
I large clothes pin secured to the bottom of the knob(holding it in the out position) worked for me.

/ mowing in reverse #13  
I'll have to try that.
Is there a another way of doing it?

/ mowing in reverse #14  
Slip the key chain or attached John Deere tag under the pto lever

/ mowing in reverse #15  
Use the large end of golf tee to wedge under switch, I store mine in the top of tilt steering shroud, always ready, and cheap.:thumbsup:

/ mowing in reverse #16  
Digger deeper the posting on how to bypass this bogus switch is on this forum.

All right , here it is

Inside the frame by the reverse pedal is the switch.

It is bolted to the frame with one bolt.

Likely have to remove the deck to get to it. They can be a bugger to reach.

Loosen the bolt.
Rotate the switch so it will not be depressed when backing up and tighten the bolt down.
Problem solved.

/ mowing in reverse #17  
as you can tell many folks to by pass the switch somehow, either permanently . or temporarily with something.

there are been enough fatalities and accidents that most likely have caused manufactors to set this feature on riding lawn mowers.

i can be a down right "mean" once i am on a tractor and keep folks away from me and animals (dogs / cats locked up in house). to many things can happen quickly, and unexpectedly, and accidentally. i am sure i have experenced most things. thankfully no one got injured or got killed. but rocks flying, weeds / strings / ropes getting tangled up in very bad spots. to many other things. that could be deadly if someone was around me when some happened.

to note it though. if i did have a tractor that stopped the deck while going in reverse. it most likely also would be disabled. to many spots were backing up and going forward cuts time down on the seat by a good amount. just saying keep things safe and be careful.

/ mowing in reverse #18  
I've mowed for 35 years without having a machine where the blades quit when I hit reverse. I think I have it down by now. I realize there are idiots in the world that run over Fluffy and then we all get grief for it. But like boggen, I keep pets, cars and especially people away when my blades are turning. My wife used to give me horrible looks because I would stop and stare at her until she left. Then I told her about my sister in law who refused to stop following my brother around the yard as he mowed.

One day my brother hit a screwdriver in the grass (it wasn't even his screwdriver - his neighbors probably threw it there on purpose). Somehow the plastic handle got separated from the steel shaft. They never did find the shaft but the plastic handle hit my sister in law right between the eyes leaving a perfect mark on her that looked exactly like the end of a screwdriver handle where the shaft is supposed to come out. If the shaft had still been there it would have killed her right on the spot most likely. Unfortunately I actually have to tell my wife that story every other year because she's one of those people that don't see any danger in anything. I have to watch out for her. She has many fine qualities but remembering that things are dangerous is one of her faults like we all have. That mark stayed on my sister in law for 6 months if that tells you how hard she got hit. Mowers of all kinds are dangerous. Even the old push mowers without a motor were dangerous because you had to keep the blades really sharp. Too many people lose hands and feet around mowers not to mention the ones that get struck by flying objects. Safety has to be the first consideration always.

Still I think it's MORE dangerous to have that switch you have to pull before you can start backing up. I can't turn my head around and watch behind me while pulling that switch. I have a neck injury which makes it impossible for me but I think almost everyone would have a problem watching behind them while pulling that switch. Yet there it is ready for you to try. It's about the most stupid gizmo I've ever seen to be honest. Looking forward at the dash without being able to turn around and actually watch behind you is just insane. Mine will be disabled soon with a temporary type fix. I wouldn't want to void the warranty.

I love the switch on the seat that shuts everything off but the truth is if a mower rolls over those blades will still be spinning fast if you happen to roll right under the mower in a hurry. It's a good idea but it doesn't stop the blades fast enough. You may not get hurt as bad but you can still get hurt.

/ mowing in reverse #19  
Too many people lose hands and feet around mowers not to mention the ones that get struck by flying objects. Safety has to be the first consideration always.
Safety first. Equipment can be replaced with a little $$$. People, not so much.

Still I think it's MORE dangerous to have that switch you have to pull before you can start backing up. I can't turn my head around and watch behind me while pulling that switch. I have a neck injury which makes it impossible for me but I think almost everyone would have a problem watching behind them while pulling that switch. Yet there it is ready for you to try.
This is (IMO) one of the few places where Cub Cadet beats Deere. You turn the key to the yellow position and push a button. Then you can mow in reverse until you shut the mower off.

I love the switch on the seat that shuts everything off but the truth is if a mower rolls over those blades will still be spinning fast if you happen to roll right under the mower in a hurry. It's a good idea but it doesn't stop the blades fast enough. You may not get hurt as bad but you can still get hurt.
The switch on the Cub Cadet LT1050 was fast enough that it shut the blades off and stopped them before the machine made it all of the way upside down the time I hit a wet patch while mowing around steep bank by the pond and slid over a bank.

Aaron Z