mowing in reverse

/ mowing in reverse #21  
Did it happen pretty quick Aaron? That's a good thing if it shut off really quick. I know the power shuts off to my blades really quick but I can hear them spinning for a couple of seconds before they stop at least. I always figured that if a person got leaning over on a slope and they jumped off the high side (the best thing to do if you can manage it) and the mower came back down on them that they would be hurt pretty bad by the blades because it would happen pretty fast. I understand that a blade not under power isn't likely to remove limbs but it could put a serious gash in whatever it hit.

/ mowing in reverse #22  
Don't think one can jump off the high side when the tractor rolls. Just that we think we will be able to do that. :)

But that said, that is my plan too. ;)

/ mowing in reverse #23  
I can't say as I agree beenthere. The trick is to basically roll of the high side as the lawnmower raises up. The thing is that once you get your weight on the fender as you roll off the uphill side the mower just might come back toward you. It's still better than going over the other way and having the mower land on top of you after it falls a good way.

I learned these techniques riding an ATV actually. Or I guess I practiced them on an ATV. There are places where going over the wrong side can mean going over the side of a mountain with the chance of an ATV getting hooked up with your legs or arms and both of you rolling over and over toward the bottom which can be 3000 feet away or more. You always want to be able to roll off before the machine goes over. Basically you just have to roll right in the spot you're in and usually the ATV or lawnmower will roll down the hill out from under you. It's certainly true that you might not be able to get off the right side but extreme terror has a way of making you do things you might have thought impossible before you did them. :)

/ mowing in reverse #24  
I can't say as I agree beenthere. The trick is to basically roll of the high side as the lawnmower raises up. The thing is that once you get your weight on the fender as you roll off the uphill side the mower just might come back toward you. It's still better than going over the other way and having the mower land on top of you after it falls a good way.

I learned these techniques riding an ATV actually. Or I guess I practiced them on an ATV. There are places where going over the wrong side can mean going over the side of a mountain with the chance of an ATV getting hooked up with your legs or arms and both of you rolling over and over toward the bottom which can be 3000 feet away or more. You always want to be able to roll off before the machine goes over. Basically you just have to roll right in the spot you're in and usually the ATV or lawnmower will roll down the hill out from under you. It's certainly true that you might not be able to get off the right side but extreme terror has a way of making you do things you might have thought impossible before you did them. :)

been some time since i have done a full butt on a fender. and have tended to avoid those step hill sides. granted you still will catch me, with my butt off the seat and towards a fender on more genital slopes. then again i am also mowing with allis chalmers CA and it is not a riding lawn mower. or the 555c TLB with cab. no way out of it. beyond taking the ride to the bottom if i did roll it. and in all honesty. i tend to keep one foot hovering the clutch pedal, one foot hovering brakes. and both hands near steering wheel. i normally just drive with one hand. but i generally try to keep both hands near, so if i do need to take a quick turn down hill to keep from rolling over i can do so.

to be honest though. maybe on a riding lawn mower, i could do a roll off as you describe, but on must tractors i have seen, more so once you start seeing roll cages. the "jumping off part" quick goes by by. to making sure seat belt is on and roll cage is in good working order. many times you are kinda caged in. and no easy way to say jump up and get feet on say the seat to take a dive into the hill side. or attempt to bring the other leg around the center quick enough to even get to any sort of position to even think about jumping.

/ mowing in reverse #25  
Did it happen pretty quick Aaron? That's a good thing if it shut off really quick. I know the power shuts off to my blades really quick but I can hear them spinning for a couple of seconds before they stop at least.

I was going up the hill and turning slightly to the left when the left rear wheel started spinning and then the mower slid down and to the left. That dropped the RR wheel into a erosion rut (~8" deep) which rolled the tractor onto its top.
I was thrown off on the downhill side and twisted myself backwards (to end behind the tractor) in case it kept moving. It stopped and the blades were not spinning (but I may have hit the PTO button as it started rolling backwards).
I think the blades dug into the dirt when the RR wheel dropped into the rut which stopped them. It ended with the LR wheel in the rut and not wanting to move.

I was able to finish the roll downhill to end the tractor right side up. I then got someone else to drive the mower while I pulled it out with the L3830 which we had over to tedd the hay at the hotel.
I checked the oil and it looked good. I left it to sit till the next day, the finished mowing.

Aaron Z

/ mowing in reverse #26  
Sounds like you did all you could do aczlan and luck had a part in keeping you safe that day. Those surprise trenches will get you quick. I've had to stop mowing the steep part of my yard because of them.

And you're right about there being no way to get off a tractor on the uphill side boggen. You sure can't jump over tires and fenders and especially roll bars. The worst I've seen though is when a tractor comes over backwards on you. My neighbor had one roll on him that way. It messed up his hand so that he could never use it again. He's lucky he didn't get far worse. I knew another guy that did get far worse on a deal like that. Going up a steep bank with a tractor pulling a load is just asking for it. A lot of tractors will pull the front wheels up in a heartbeat anyway. My LX172 is like that. That's why I like mowers with gears and clutches. You can get off the power quick. But unless I wanted to buy a super cheap mower there are no more setups like that. Of course a hydro is a lot less likely to pull the wheels up but there are a lot of things you can do with a clutch that just can't be done with a hydro. Like pulling the wheels up when you want them to go up. I can't get my 172 into the building I keep it in unless I pop the wheels to get the mower over the edge of the wood floor. I converted a corn crib into storage for my ATV's and mowers. I suppose I could fix it so that I could drive the 172 in without raising the wheels but I haven't had to so it hasn't got done yet. :) My new mower goes right in without a problem so I guess I won't be needing to pour more concrete to get in. There's a slope downhill leading to the door so I left the concrete ramp low on purpose so that water wouldn't run in the building.

/ mowing in reverse #27  
That's why I like mowers with gears and clutches. You can get off the power quick. But unless I wanted to buy a super cheap mower there are no more setups like that. Of course a hydro is a lot less likely to pull the wheels up but there are a lot of things you can do with a clutch that just can't be done with a hydro. Like pulling the wheels up when you want them to go up.

Now there is the weakest argument I've ever heard for a clutch over HST. :D :D :D
That's a good one. ;)

/ mowing in reverse #28  
Sounds like you did all you could do aczlan and luck had a part in keeping you safe that day. Those surprise trenches will get you quick. I've had to stop mowing the steep part of my yard because of them.
It would have rolled on that hill with or without the ditch, but it did not help.

And you're right about there being no way to get off a tractor on the uphill side boggen. You sure can't jump over tires and fenders and especially roll bars.
Yep. It THREW me off and downhill. there was no way to go uphill.

That's why I like mowers with gears and clutches. You can get off the power quick. But unless I wanted to buy a super cheap mower there are no more setups like that.
If I need to stop the blades, pushing in the PTO switch to disengage the electric clutch stops them as fast (or faster) than a manual clutch would. If I need to stop moving (and I have traction) letting off of the hydro pedal stops the tractor pretty quick.

Aaron Z

/ mowing in reverse #29  
This is (IMO) one of the few places where Cub Cadet beats Deere. You turn the key to the yellow position and push a button. Then you can mow in reverse until you shut the mower off.

The Cub Cadet riding mower I bought in 1995 didn't have that feature and I had no idea it would not mow in reverse until I tried it. I told the dealer that just would not do; having to turn off the electric PTO and then back on every time I backed up and then started forward again. So that feature got disabled.

I don't understand why the manufacturers fix the riding mowers (lawn/garden tractors) where they don't mow in reverse when ZTRs mow in reverse. At least I guess they all do; the two Toros I've owned do.

/ mowing in reverse #30  
The Cub Cadet riding mower I bought in 1995 didn't have that feature and I had no idea it would not mow in reverse until I tried it. I told the dealer that just would not do; having to turn off the electric PTO and then back on every time I backed up and then started forward again. So that feature got disabled.

I don't understand why the manufacturers fix the riding mowers (lawn/garden tractors) where they don't mow in reverse when ZTRs mow in reverse. At least I guess they all do; the two Toros I've owned do.

I've wonderd that myself.