Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #1  

inaun

Tractor
John Deere 4200 & Ford 8n
OK, so I know there are multiple threads on this topic. But they all say the same about "pucker factor" and "if you don't feel safe". I do understand there are multiple factors, and no way to give a precise maximum angle before tipping that fits all tractors. That said, I'd like to try to quantify with some real data that could be used to derive general safe / unsafe angles in various scenarios.

To that end, I'm asking people to reply with specific information about their experiences, and to avoid replying with non-quantifiable information like how your butt feels or listening to the pucker factor. Also, please do not use this thread to post general safety information (safety first is *alwasy* good, but that information already exists in the other threads about mowing on hills). Instead, please post information such as:

1) What degree slopes do you mow / drive over sideways without experiencing any stability issues?
2) What is your setup relevant to stability (tractor type, ballasting, wheel width, etc.)?
3) If you have had the unfortunate experience of tipping over (or almost tipping over), what degree slope and were there contributing factors such as hitting a rock?
4) If you have specific angle guidelines from manufacturers / dealerships please share (along with the relevant tractor and setup information mentioned in 2).

Also of interest -- what degree slopes do you safely turn around on after having traversed uphill (and, of course, again info on the tractor and setup you use).

Hopefully we'll get enough good responses here for newbies like me to gain a better understanding as we try to understand the specific safety limits of our tractors.

Thanks!

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #2  
I understand what you are asking, but even if operators here give you specific information about what slopes they mow, and on what machine, this will not transfer to your slopes or equipment. There are simply too many variables... and the variables count.
I mow parts of a 28 degree slope with my zero turn, however, there are areas with ruts that will cause the machine to slide and likely roll when the wheels hit one. I rolled my walk behind like that a few years ago. I would never take my L4060 on that slope sideways. I generally feel comfortable at 15 degrees on a smooth and dry slope on my tractor (L4060 cab, loader, loaded rears).

Some older manufacturer manuals I had did specify 15 degrees as the"safe" limit, with the standard disclaimers. My current L4060 manual and ZD manuals don't seem to specify an actual slope number that is safe.

Last edited:
   / Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #5  
What I think is the steepest section I mow across the slope measures 23 degrees. At that slope the tractor and mower crab sideways noticeably on dry grass -- the front tire has to be up the hill nearly a foot compared to what it is on level ground. I've mowed this section this way for 25 years.

That's the same slope that I turn on when mowing steeper sections up and down hill. I'm using a ditch and bank flail mower, fully extended to the side. I never raise if off the ground when it's on the downhill side of the tractor on much of a side slope. Nor do I start up the hill with it off the ground, having learned that lesson.

I also mow along a ditch with side slope of 29 degrees on the bank, with my tractor tires in the bottom of ditch, so they cannot slip down the hill. That actually feels more secure than the 23 degree section in the open field.

My tractor is a John Deere 870, with R1 tires front and rear, extended to their maximum width, and fully loaded. I also have a full complement of six suitcase weights (42 lb. each) on the front.

Whether or not any of this is safe for me, let alone someone with different equipment and situation, is of course questionable.

Last edited:
   / Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #6  
Just mowed steep slopes today. This is a water detention basin. I cut it 4 times per year.

1690593376419.jpeg

Looming to my left is the drain pipe for the basin. I get just a few feet from it with my mirror.

1690593533873.jpeg

All tractors & equipment have different points at which they tip. I have found in the multiple close calls I have had is they usually feel like the upper side front tire would come off the ground, or the entire tractor would begin to slide.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #8  
Just mowed steep slopes today. This is a water detention basin. I cut it 4 times per year.

View attachment 813329

Looming to my left is the drain pipe for the basin. I get just a few feet from it with my mirror.

View attachment 813330

All tractors & equipment have different points at which they tip. I have found in the multiple close calls I have had is they usually feel like the upper side front tire would come off the ground, or the entire tractor would begin to slide.
Remove the loader and lower your CG.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #9  
I find that common sense is the best guide. I have operated a CUT 3038 for 11 years now mowing and doing other work. When I get to a hill that makes me uncomfortable, I slow way down and lower my FEL to just off the ground. I want my COG as low as possible. Sometimes, as I proceed, I just hit a point where I feel I could tip so I stop, backup, turn and try to approach the area from another direction. Only once, in 11 years and about 900 hours have I had a tire lift from the ground - and I caught that immediately by dropping the FEL then backing up and trying another angle. When using my much heavier finish mower, I have more tolerance for slopes and can handle almost any on my hilly land. The finish mower, at 750 pounds or so right on the ground, lowers my COG significantly. Again, trusting instincts and using common sense seem the best approach. My dad operated regular and tricycle John Deeres on this land for decades and never rolled one... Which was good because he did not have a ROPS or seat belt.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #10  
It has already been said, variables, and everybody has different ones to deal with. Equipment being used is, IMHO, one of the biggest. I have places I will not even consider taking my 1025R because it feels and is so tippy (had the wheels off the ground more than I like) but don't even give a thought about when using the old Ford.