Mowing Mowing Roadside Ditch?

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #11  
My rule of thumb is that, when on a slope or angle, the point at which I don't feel I can control the tractor completely is the moment I know I'm working on something too steep or angled.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Well said JoeinTX.

And to me that means if you can't feel comfortable turning the tractor up hill or have to use the brake(s) to control it you and your equipment are in jeopardy.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #12  
Do you have your wheels set wide? Like others, I feel the 8N is very stable when set wide.

It is normal for new owners to be uncomfortable on slopes, heck I have been doing this for over 50 years and they still get my attention.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #13  
Do you have your wheels set wide? Like others, I feel the 8N is very stable when set wide...
Do you have a photo of the rear tires on the 8N that you can post here??

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #14  
Do you have a photo of the rear tires on the 8N that you can post here??

All we have now is a NAA and two 600's. When growing up, we would adjust the width by swapping rear tires and extending the front axles depending on what we were doing. We had a rack that fit under the front and rear axles of the tractor then to the 3-point hitch so you could lift the whole tractor by raising the 3-point hitch.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #15  
... The ditch is relatively smooth and is not super steep or anything, but the sensation of mowing "unlevel" kinda spooked me, so I elected to not mow the rest of the ditch.

I'm wondering if I was just being too cautious (i.e. scared), or is the "unlevel" sensation normal and is just something that people get used to the more they use a tractor?

Trust that "spooked" feeling - Use the Force, Luke. You probably made the right decision. I'm 4 years new to this tractor thing and still haven't got real used to being tipped at much of an angle. My machine is set up somewhat tall & narrow and any tilt reminds me with a weird feeling.

Any time you have a doubt, shut it down, get off and walk the slope. Pay special attention to any soft spots, ruts, dips, animal burrows, rocks that stick up, etc. It's not just the slope you have to worry about.
-Jim

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #16  
Most states declare 3:1 slope as the limit for wheeled equipment to mow.
2:1 is the preferred design slope for new installations that mowed.

if its a 2:1 or less, you may just need some time to get used to some side slope work. If it is closer to 3:1 you might want to find another way to maintain it....
perhaps a sickle bar mower, or other kind of offsetting mower... perhaps a string trimmer if its not 1000's of feet.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #17  
Trust that "spooked" feeling - Use the Force, Luke. You probably made the right decision. I'm 4 years new to this tractor thing and still haven't got real used to being tipped at much of an angle. My machine is set up somewhat tall & narrow and any tilt reminds me with a weird feeling.

Any time you have a doubt, shut it down, get off and walk the slope. Pay special attention to any soft spots, ruts, dips, animal burrows, rocks that stick up, etc. It's not just the slope you have to worry about.
-Jim
That slope looks ok to me. However I agree that if you feel spooked, it is better to step back, and regroup. Being to nervous can get you into trouble. I teach new Locomotive Engineers how to run trains from time to time, and the ones who are too nervous are the ones that scare me the most. If I were you, I would keep mowing your place with the 9N, and at some point you will get more experience, and feel much more comfortable trying that slope.:thumbsup:

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #18  
It doesn't seem that bad from what I am looking at , but its you not me::::::::)))))))))
Try cutting on a long angle instead of cutting with the slope. it may help get over the "spooks"
Sure hop you have some sorta of roll over bar , an or seat belt.Weighted tires will help alot.
**** I know have your wife do it:)
Army Grunt

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #19  
THat slope looks easy to mow, but if you are concerned, straddle the center and make a pass then mow the rest. Unless there is some deep wash right in the center where the grass is hidding the bottom, it should not be a problem to mow. You might also try mowing it with a riding lawnmower with less wheelbase, the amount of tilt wont be as bad.
As suggested to measure the part with the deepest trench by laying a straight edge in the ditch then pulling a level line across it. Measure the full width of your tractor wheelbase and then if you have 2 feet of travel across for every 1 foot down you will be good> That should equate to 22.5 degrees slope which is easily mowed if you take it easy.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #20  
Read this with interest as another newer member to tractors. I grew up in flat Florida, and never was on anything bigger than a riding mower. Moving to our hilly Tenn property, sitting on a taller tractor (compared to a car or riding mower - the only "feel" I could relate it to...), there were lots of places where I was sure the tractor was going to turn over any minute.

My wife, who grew up on a farm and driving tractors as a little girl, did most of our "more challenging" slopes for a while. But eventually, I got a better feel for what the tractor could do, and what to watch out for. I go over places I never would have gotten near when I first started.

But I think you have to trust your instinct and pucker factor for your own situation. As you get used to the tractor and how it feels, you will become more comfortable with what you can handle - and better understand what you need to stay away from. Until then, find a different way. Or get your wife to do it :thumbsup: