Mowing Mowing Roadside Ditch?

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #21  
Most states declare 3:1 slope as the limit for wheeled equipment to mow.
2:1 is the preferred design slope for new installations that mowed.

if its a 2:1 or less, you may just need some time to get used to some side slope work. If it is closer to 3:1 you might want to find another way to maintain it....
perhaps a sickle bar mower, or other kind of offsetting mower... perhaps a string trimmer if its not 1000's of feet.

J, I think you got that backwards. 2:1 is steeper than 3:1..... I have run heavy equipment all my life (30+ yrs) on some very steep country here in WV. In fact when we get a job that is say 1/2: 1 guess who they call, because I have the most experience, or maybe it is I am old and expendable. LOL (haven't figured that one out yet). Anyway 2:1 sideways on a slope with rubber tires MAYBE ok if smooth and very dry. Again if the pucker factor kicks in then get off. Just go slow, things can get very interesting and down right educational in a heart beat.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #22  
I have a friend that bought a new JD 2320 with filled tires, and was mowing in what looks like a similiar situation sideways across a slope. He made several passes and everything was OK until the front down hill wheel went into a "chuckhole". The tractor rolled on its side. Fortunately, it had ROPS and he had his seat belt fastened. He was lucky and only skinned and bruised his elbow and the tractor only suffered minor scratches. It looked like the tractor would have rolled all the way over had it not been for the ROPS with the flat side that prevented from rolling further.

The outcome probably would not have been as good on a tractor without ROPS and a seat belt!

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #23  
It's not tractor blaspheme to use a walk behind for stuff like that.. I have a DR brush mower that's way better than the pto unit for lots of places. The thing will climb up slopes that are hard to walk up. :thumbsup:

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #24  
There's a vendor on here that sells "Tilt Meters". I put one on my first Kubota for my wife's comfort. The Kubota was a B2910 with filled rears. It would mow on 15 degree slope with no hesitation. When you got over 20 degrees then it felt a little tippy.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch?
I've done a lot of shredding on the 8n or NAA over the years and more often when cutting on a slope I've experienced a sensation of lateral, downhill slippage more than a concern about reaching a point at which the tractor might tip over.

That sensation of "lateral, downhill slippage" is exactly what I am feeling! I just didn't know how to describe it in my original post.

Does lateral downhill slippage easily turn into a tip over situation? I don't have a rollover bar or seat-belt, so my internal sensitivity is turned up all the way.

The tires on the tractor are set at 5' I believe, since the span of the bush hog is almost exactly the same width (i.e. I am able to mow right up against the other fences without the tractor tires hitting the fence).

I will see if I can do some measurements on the ditch like someone suggested to determine the actual amount of slope.

On letting the county take care of mowing the ditch, they only cut the side right by the road, and they will usually only make one pass with their mower. Maybe I can call them and see if they have one of those longer reaching "side mounted bush hogs" on one of their machines that they can cut the ditch with. So far, their mowing has been done with a regular bush hog behind a regular tractor.

Who knows, maybe they don't like the sensation of mowing the ditch any more than I do. :)

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #27  
I mow sometimes with a similar tractor ( ford 2000 ) with loaded rear ag tires , the 5 ft mower is not quite as wide as the rear wheel spacing ( inch or 2 total ) It took me several years to get comfortable on slopes , when it's steep I almost always stay in first gear . But sometimes I will use the brake to keep the front tire from sliding down the hill , and never mow on side slopes when it's just the least bit wet .

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #28  
If the brake needs to be used to keep the front from sliding down the slope, that seems to me the same as asking the tractor to turn up hill which it doesn't want to do, so with the brake it is forced to turn. Depending on the direction of tractor travel the torque of the pto shaft might just go ahead and roll it if any small hole was encountered at that time or a tire suddenly lost pressure or both.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch? #29  
blount2000 said:
Thanks for the response. Below is a pic of the ditch. The county cuts the left side of the ditch (by the road), and you can see where I made one pass on the right side of the ditch. You can also see where I need to make another pass or two up to the fence line.

Maybe it just feels steeper than it really is.

Picture is not like 'being there' but that slope does not look bad. You can always back up the slope. 8N are pretty stable. Go slow, follow your gut. If you feel like you are sliding in the seat that's a great indication that you are getting too much slope. I would walk that area to be sure there are no washed out spots or 'humps' that can quickly change things for you. I would mow by hand the first so you can see what's under there.

/ Mowing Roadside Ditch?
Well, I succeeded in mowing up a little bit higher on the ditch. The county has not cut in a while, and the tall grass was blocking my view whenever turning out of the driveway so I went ahead and cut what I could. As described in my original post, it was still a bit spooky mowing on the incline.

I wasn't able to cut the entire length of the fence line, but at least I can see now when pulling out of the driveway. I still need to try to get a bit closer to the actual fence, but that will be a challenge for another day.

The first picture is from back in May when I was originally asking about mowing the ditch, the second picture is from when I cut the ditch this weekend (you can see the cut is a little closer to the fence), and the third picture is of the ol' girl who is doing the work!

It may not be the prettiest tractor, but it still works mighty fine!

Attachments

• ditch0.jpg
    ditch0.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 325
  • ditch1.jpg
    ditch1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 392
  • tractor.jpg
    tractor.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 377