Mowing Mowing without removing FEL or BH

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #11  
LBrown59 said:
I alternate back and forth so much between mowing ,fel and bh that it's just not pratical to keep playing muiscal attachments.
One of the many things that attracted me to the BX23 was the fact that I didn't have to do that any more after putting up with for it over 35 years with the old Bolens tractor.
Also I'm a little older than I was back in 1966 when i bought the bolens.

The L3830 I had required all of 30 seconds to remove the loader, 3X that to put it back on. A very easy trade off for mowing bliss. :rolleyes:

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #12  
Hi Gang,
I must admit I am one of the always mow with the BH and FEL on guys... :( I am sure it would mow better without them on, but for me it mows pretty darn teriffic even with everything on. Compared to anything else I have ever owned it's down right amazing...I was helping my next door neighbor mow his yard last weekend (mine for the most is not mowable due to my escavating of it, another long story...) and he had to come over and say my BX24 was the most amazign machine he has ever seen.....I was scraping bucket fulls of clay/gravel from my lawn when I saw him mowing. As my dust and dirt filled yard is an annoyance, I figured I would give him a hand. Dumped off what must have been about the 40th yard of mix and headed over to his yard. Within seconds I was cutting a swath much larger than his Craftsman mower, and at full song in high gear the 54" deck was throwing grass about 6 feet out at a remarkable rate. I blew right past him as he smiled with approval. In about 10 minutes I had cut the majority of his yard. Now, mind you, I did not cut near his trees or other places my ROPS would become an issue. I told him, if cut in (like painting) with his rider I would get the rest. He was still cutting in about 10 minutes after I was finished, and scraping more mix off my lawn.
Now, that being said. I have never had the FEL or BH off. My machine is stored outside, and I have nothing but my backyard to keep it in. I don't really have anyplace to store tehm if I were to take them off, let alone anyplace remotely level.....Some day hopefully that will all change......But until then, I will mow with everythign on, and mke my lawn mowable with my BX equipped that way (ie. trees trimmed to ROPS heights :))...
I actually envy you guys that can wield the attachments off in mere minutes....

Peace,
Qrazy

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #13  
Hey Big Orange Vol.. HowZZ about some pics of those 60's model Wheelhorses, please?
Sure :D
Both still work for a living.

Attachments

• Two Horses front.jpg
    Two Horses front.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Two Horses Left side.jpg
    Two Horses Left side.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Two Horses right side #2.jpg
    Two Horses right side #2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 147
   / Mowing without removing FEL or BH #14  
Qrazy said:
Hi Gang,
I must admit I am one of the always mow with the BH and FEL on guys... :( I am sure it would mow better without them on, but for me it mows pretty darn teriffic even with everything on. Compared to anything else I have ever owned it's down right amazing...I was helping my next door neighbor mow his yard last weekend (mine for the most is not mowable due to my escavating of it, another long story...) and he had to come over and say my BX24 was the most amazign machine he has ever seen.....I was scraping bucket fulls of clay/gravel from my lawn when I saw him mowing. As my dust and dirt filled yard is an annoyance, I figured I would give him a hand. Dumped off what must have been about the 40th yard of mix and headed over to his yard. Within seconds I was cutting a swath much larger than his Craftsman mower, and at full song in high gear the 54" deck was throwing grass about 6 feet out at a remarkable rate. I blew right past him as he smiled with approval. In about 10 minutes I had cut the majority of his yard. Now, mind you, I did not cut near his trees or other places my ROPS would become an issue. I told him, if cut in (like painting) with his rider I would get the rest. He was still cutting in about 10 minutes after I was finished, and scraping more mix off my lawn.
Now, that being said. I have never had the FEL or BH off. My machine is stored outside, and I have nothing but my backyard to keep it in. I don't really have anyplace to store tehm if I were to take them off, let alone anyplace remotely level.....Some day hopefully that will all change......But until then, I will mow with everythign on, and mke my lawn mowable with my BX equipped that way (ie. trees trimmed to ROPS heights :))...
I actually envy you guys that can wield the attachments off in mere minutes....

Peace,
Qrazy
830 hours on my bx23 and the BH MMM and FEL has been on it every one of them.

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #15  
Heres the ultimate no-frills mowing machine (and toenail clipper).

P.S. I don't think I'll let the kiddies play on this one.

Attachments

• 72Reel.jpg
    72Reel.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
   / Mowing without removing FEL or BH #16  
Those flexible reel mowers look like they would do a heck of a job mowing. I have seen larger pull behind models that I would like to have (if I had more acerage:mad: ). They best part about the pull behinds is no motors, gear oil, PTO shaft. Just greasing I would imagine.

Edit: Now that I think of it, sharpening those things would be a "reel" pain in the rear. Maybe I will stick with blades.

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #17  
alchemysa said:
Heres the ultimate no-frills mowing machine (and toenail clipper).

P.S. I don't think I'll let the kiddies play on this one.

Where's the ROP's, where are the stickers indicating where not to put your hands, where is the seat safety shut off. I shutter to think how many people that machine has mangled. To think we have people going crazy here at TBN when someone welds or drills a hole in a ROPs when frankly, we have bigger concerns! :D

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #18  
_RaT_ said:
Where's the ROP's, where are the stickers indicating where not to put your hands, where is the seat safety shut off. I shutter to think how many people that machine has mangled. To think we have people going crazy here at TBN when someone welds or drills a hole in a ROPs when frankly, we have bigger concerns! :D

Aint she a beaut!. The new Slice'n'dice 3000, Made by Sweeney Todd Engineering in the UK I believe.

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #19  
A fel may come in handy. but the BH looks like it would be nothing but unneeded ballast and trouble in tight spots..

Soundguy

Tdog said:
Yesterday I mowed about 2 acres without removing the FEL or BH from my BX22. I’ve run the MMM before like that, but just to hit a spot or two. Why did I do it? Well I just wanted to try it. I’ve seen posts that others never remove their BH & FEL, so I thought I’d give it a whirl.

Let me say it wasn’t much fun. I’ve got a lot of trees to cut around plus fences to trim next to. I was lucky I didn’t bash something with the FEL or BH. I constantly had to raise or lower the FEL to keep from hitting something. It turned a very maneuverable machine a very awkward one. Maybe if I had completely open, flat land it would have been OK, but the least little dip or bump makes the BX pretty bouncy.
I thought I might save some time by leaving the attachments on, but I had to go so slow, I’m not sure the overall project was any quicker at all.

Next time I’ll take ‘em off, for sure.

Jack

/ Mowing without removing FEL or BH #20  
Of course, I could never consider because of all my trees and slopes, but I could not fathom mowing with an EXTRA 1,200# on my 1,200# machine. Already rides bad enough, but with the MMM attached, you're talking about about 1,500# of STUFF on a 1,200# tractor just so it can act like a lawn mower.

Wow. Just never thought it was a rational option. You folks must work in some wide open, flat fields without many bumps, obstacles, or otherwise. I could never consider.