MT160D

/ MT160D #51  
The RM42 rotary from Woods uses limit chains where the KK rotary I use on my Deere does not. I cannot recall why I found limit chains useful on various implements when I still used the Beaver 3pt.

/ MT160D
Kubota model B342 rotary cutter $500.00
Worksaver brand 5 foot (very) light-duty angle blade with issues $125.00

030.JPG

The blade came with the top link from the tractor (16hp Bolens), which the former owner had already sold.

No "stump jumper"

032.JPG

Was very surprised to find a 42" cutter. I think this is the only one i have seen for sale within a couple hundred miles in the few months I have been looking. I was thinking i would have to go with a 4 footer, which are not real easy to find around here either. 5 and 6 footers are a "dime a dozen."

Last edited:
   / MT160D #53  
From the pictures it looks to be in good condition. What are the issues? You can probably buy a stump jumper.

/ MT160D
From the pictures it looks to be in good condition. What are the issues? You can probably buy a stump jumper.

No issues (known) with the cutter. Someone did reposition the pins for the lower links. PTO shaft & tailwheel are in my truck.

The blade is just built too light. The "swivel plate" (steel plate welded to top of blade) is only 1/4 inch and is distorted. With the blade on the ground, the tractor could move forward or backward a couple of inches without the blade edge moving across the ground: it would just tilt forward or back.

I will weld some extra steel on it, and maybe cut it down to a 4 footer. It was advertised as a 4 footer anyway.

Cost $30.00 in gas to pick these up. If I kept looking for cheaper/better, I might have to make several more $30.00 trips, in addition to adding a lot of miles to the truck. And i don't know if I would ever run across another 42" cutter. With ag tires, the 42" is about as wide as the tires on the MT160D. With the turf tires on mine, the cutter will be "inboard" about 2 or so inches on each side. Not a problem for me, and I need to keep the weight of the whole package down to avoid overloading the trailer & truck.

/ MT160D #55  
I think you did OK. The blade is supposed to be able to swivel.

/ MT160D
I think you did OK. The blade is supposed to be able to swivel.

If you look at the rear of the blade in the top photo, you can see two supports (angles) running from the rear of the swivel plate to down near the bottom of the blade, and you can see that the plate itself is bent down inbetween the two supports.

I have the blade apart, and will beat the plate back (more or less) straight, and then add a third support angle. Also, the pin that locks the blade from swiveling on its own is too small, and is bent. Will probably drill the holes out larger and use a larger diameter pin.

This blade is probably built strong-enough for a 4 footer, but is way too lightly built for 5 feet. But, it wasn't too expensive, and it was sitting right next to the cutter and saved me at least one more road trip to get the implements I need.

/ MT160D
"..But, it wasn't too expensive, and it was sitting right next to the cutter and saved me at least one more road trip to get the implements I need..."

Oh, and it also came with a top link, so I now have a spare.

/ MT160D
Parts diagram of the blade:

Worksaver

That square plate welded on top of the blade is only 1/4 inch and it's all distorted.

But I'll make it work.

/ MT160D #60  
Just plumb some hydraulics in and make it a power angle.... :D