MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not?

/ MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not?
The FEL thread was helpful, and it seems no-one fills their tires...if needed front weights might be better. Also, it sounds like most people have no issues at all, so I may be dealing with a non-issue. Ultimately, it's something I'll have to drive the tractor without the FEL removed before I know if there is a concern.

/ MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not? #12  
I have had an MX 5000 for over 3 years. Rears are filled, fronts are not. Filling fronts would add strain on power steering pump only when doing loader work. I added a QA for front bucket, which I remove as required, so have never had a manoeuvrability issue. I don't think you will have any issues.

/ MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not? #13  
Filling fronts would add strain on power steering pump only when doing loader work.

As I think was already stated, the strain, if any, can't be much - The fluid would be in the tire, & the tire's sitting on the ground.

I think the only added strain would be to turn a slightly heavier tire/wheel - Probably not a big deal when it's already got 1 or 2 thousand pounds sitting (or more?) on it.

/ MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not? #14  
I'm planning on buying the MX5100DT, 4wd with FEL and AG tires. The dealer says they usually fill the rear tires with methanol/water, but if I want the front filled they will do that as well. I will be using the tractor for brush-hogging this year,
How big is your mower?

I have an MX5100 with filled R4 rears and a 6-foot Rhino brush hog, and when running without the loader, you can definitely tell you've got a big weight hanging off the back end. Mowing up a steep trail sometimes requires using the brakes for course correction.

I agree with everyone else though; filled fronts won't help much.

Jay

/ MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not? #15  
... I don't have my L3940 manual with me, but I seem to remember it stating not to put liquid in the front tires.

Confirmed: My manual does say not to put liquid in the front tires. It does not give a reason.

/ MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not? #16  
If you are mowing you will get a lot of flats so foam the fronts. Well worth the extra cost. Have a M5400 with foam in the front and had no issues.

How big is your mower?

I have an MX5100 with filled R4 rears and a 6-foot Rhino brush hog, and when running without the loader, you can definitely tell you've got a big weight hanging off the back end. Mowing up a steep trail sometimes requires using the brakes for course correction.

I agree with everyone else though; filled fronts won't help much.

Jay

It's a 6ft. mower. There are a couple of hilly areas that feels a little uncomfortable in the old MF 35, I know the Kubota isn't really a heavy tractor so I find myself wondering how the balance would be without the FEL.

/ MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not? #18  
My experience has been, if the plot is open enough to mow with the loader attached, leave it attached. However, my place is mostly forested, so mowing with the loader attached is often impractical.

/ MX5100DT Filled Tires or Not? #19  
Could you please explain how that is possible????

That is the MAIN advantage of wheel weights and filled tires. It does NOT add any of the weight to the hubs/bearings etc.

But I do agree with the other poster about it not being enough difference to mess with it. I to have never filled the fronts or know anyone who has. Just not enough volume. Unless you plan on a REALLY HEAVY implement off the back and/or hilly terrain, weight up front should be a non issue.
Agreed. Micro miniscule stress on the hubs cuz the weight just sits directly on the ground. Whether it is useful to have the weight there will depend on amount and use. On my 7520 it is useful. I fill them pretty full and it adds about 400#. Good for applying down pressure in back dragging or trying to bull into hard soil. Also they can be run a few psi softer because the hi compression ratio lets them resist squatting better under heavy load. The large diameter of the 11.2 x 24 AGs allows the tractor to take bumps very well even at 90+% fill because the gradual curvature gives a longer 'ride over' and elasticity of the large carcass sort of engulfs small bumps. Significant bumps with too much speed could get critical tho.
larry

My experience has been, if the plot is open enough to mow with the loader attached, leave it attached. However, my place is mostly forested, so mowing with the loader attached is often impractical.

I have some fruit trees and misc. trees in one area that is a little tight, and I'd prefer not to damage the trees. This area has a hill that I normally go down to mow, but I have to loop around to do this. Because of a few areas like this I decided to get a smaller type tractor for the maneuverability. I've been lucky a few times on an ATV, especially when going up a hill. It's a hard question to answer until I actually get some seat time, I just wonder if the front of the tractor might be considered "light" without the FEL and when using a mower.