My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #11  
Maybe $10 material cost,,,,,what about your R&D and production time, costs,,,buddy of mine developed a large rear wheel for a certain motorcycle and figured he had almost $50k in time and trials into the development,,,,then someone copied it,,,and he sold 3 total,,,,:(

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #12  
Subscribed for future reference.

Someday i intend on removing my seat to touch up the rust in Kubota's crappy gray paint. I might add a helper spring at that time. :thumbsup:

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod
Maybe $10 material cost,,,,,what about your R&D and production time, costs,,,buddy of mine developed a large rear wheel for a certain motorcycle and figured he had almost $50k in time and trials into the development,,,,then someone copied it,,,and he sold 3 total,,,,:(

R&D costs - well let's see. Not sure how to value lots of idle time just thinking about how to modify the seat. A lot of that time, for whatever reason, was figuring out what suspension the original seat actually had. The existing compression springs confused me. Maybe they are there to provide some suspension, but don't in my case.

I did order some torsion springs from McMaster Carr that I sent back for full refund, but it did cost me about $8 for return shipping. So that's a big $8 for R&D :laughing:

Oh, I may have to add one more shim for the seat switch. It cut out on me a few times yesterday while backing up over a rock. That or gain some weight :D

I will also add that if my local hardware store had more 2.5" compression springs of different gauges, I would have tried them all. .135 was the only gauge they had. If someone tries a different size, please post your results.

Subscribed for future reference.

Someday i intend on removing my seat to touch up the rust in Kubota's crappy gray paint. I might add a helper spring at that time. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I saw lots of little rusty spots that I thought about touching up, but getting at them with spray paint without taking the seat off the seat frame didn't appeal to me. If I can find some gray touch up paint in one of those tiny bottles (I do have some orange like this), it would be easy to do.

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #15  
I realy like your improvment. I looked into another seat ,but they were out of line on price and having to turn the seat to use the backhoe.I did'nt think it would work. So i am going to try your invention.

Quick update. Mowed with it for the first time today. First off, my lawn is quite bumpy in spots and I found out after hitting the first few that my seat switch was still too touchy causing the engine to briefly quit. Back to the garage and with a few friendly raps with a hammer on the flange holding the seat switch to ever so slightly bend it closer to the seat and I was good to go again.

As for the ride, I do still get jostled going over the humps and bumps, but the added damping makes the ride much more tolerable. Softer springs might be better, or just cause me to keep bouncing like warn shock absorbers. :confused2: All in all I'm happy with the mod. Now I just need to figure out how to add some lumbar support. Maybe something like this perhaps?

Amazon.com: Adjust-Air Portable Lumbar Support: Home & Garden

Attachments

• Lumbar pillow.jpg
    Lumbar pillow.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 209
   / My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #17  
I am definately getting springs for my 2360 tommarrow. When i bush hog my field i have to go super slow because after about 5 minutes my inner organs cause pain under my rib cage from bouncing around so much. I am also 140 pounds and will be bypassing the switch also. I hate that switch.

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #18  
Yeah, I saw lots of little rusty spots that I thought about touching up, but getting at them with spray paint without taking the seat off the seat frame didn't appeal to me. If I can find some gray touch up paint in one of those tiny bottles (I do have some orange like this), it would be easy to do.

I just spray the paint into a small puddle on aluminum foil and use the ripped end of a match to do the touch up...This usually works pretty good.

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #19  
Ok maybe not the bx2360 sest is nothing like this and the only spot for springs seems to be where the springs already are on the seat

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #20  
I just wire tied my seat switch down. No more problems.