My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod
Ok maybe not the bx2360 sest is nothing like this and the only spot for springs seems to be where the springs already are on the seat

Hmm - can you post a pic? I had a BX1860 which rode just as bad, but I don't recall what the seat looked like exactly. I'm going to see if I have any pic's of my old seat to see what you're saying, but if you have a pic, that would help.

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod
Ok maybe not the bx2360 sest is nothing like this and the only spot for springs seems to be where the springs already are on the seat

Took a look at some old pic's. None of them are real clear but I think I can see where the non-BH versions (except the BX2660??) just mount on a plate and you only have the two compression springs at each back corner. Thinking about the design, my guess is these two springs are suppose to provide some suspension, but they are very stiff and for lighter weight guys like you or me, don't give enough. I would measure them and look for a spring of similar height but a thinner gauge and try them to see if they provide more give.

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #23  
I know this is an old thread and this will probably be my only post, but I thought I'd share this with you guys. My 82 year old uncle bought a BX series recently and while helping him at his property I noticed his seat modification and thought it was a pretty good idea. He didn't like the ride with the springs at all and thought it was a horrible design. He removed the springs and placed a wheel barrow inner tube under the seat. He just plays with the air pressure to get a nice ride. He also wraps it in cloth to keep it from getting chaffed. Just thought it might come in handy to someone here.

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #25  
Worth a try! My ride while mowing my bumpy lawn is at best, crappy...Nothing like sitting on a donut! This will be on my tractor before Spring has sprung..thanks!

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #26  
Any danger of cracking the fuel tank? It looks like this may be a newer model than my BX2230, but my tank is just plastic. This one may be also, but it appears there may be some additional metal around it that I don't have.

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #27  
I know this is an old thread and this will probably be my only post, but I thought I'd share this with you guys. My 82 year old uncle bought a BX series recently and while helping him at his property I noticed his seat modification and thought it was a pretty good idea. He didn't like the ride with the springs at all and thought it was a horrible design. He removed the springs and placed a wheel barrow inner tube under the seat. He just plays with the air pressure to get a nice ride. He also wraps it in cloth to keep it from getting chaffed. Just thought it might come in handy to someone here.

That's a pretty good first post and good reason to bump an old thread. Nice simple and effective solution!

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #28  
Any danger of cracking the fuel tank? It looks like this may be a newer model than my BX2230, but my tank is just plastic. This one may be also, but it appears there may be some additional metal around it that I don't have.

That's a good point...my 270 lb frame might cause some undue stress on that plastic tank for sure...have to find something to shore the area up a bit to support the donut...and my fat "azz" :laughing:

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #29  
I used the same inner tube trick on my CK20 years ago. Worked fine. No real downside.

/ My $10 BX Suspension Seat Mod #30  
Glad to see this thread... I am also a wimpy 160lbs, and the springs under my L3400 seat bottom out, even though the tension setting is maxed. This will encourage me to check out some new springs when I warms up and I get some seat time.