My Cockshutt 40

/ My Cockshutt 40 #1  

RRILEY

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deer 2520
I have finally found a good project to keep busy for years.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 575
  • 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 676
   / My Cockshutt 40 #2  
I have finally found a good project to keep busy for years.

Neato. The sheet metal on that 40 looks in good shape. That's my primary criterion for buying old iron--I suck at sheet metal work.

Have a ball.

Right now I'm restoring a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF.

/ My Cockshutt 40
I got it home today. Now it's a foot taller. Was hard to see with all the weeds how much it sank in the ground.
Now I need a gallon of liquid wrench, I did get one brake working today and discovered it also has a parking brake.
This is going to be great. Unfortunately I have never done sheet metal work yet but do have friends that have Hot rods and old cars.

/ My Cockshutt 40 #4  
That thing is gorgeous! Please keep us posted with Pic's as you restore. Even if it takes 5 years....

I would be trying to decide where to start. Maybe a bit of cleaning and tinkering around the engine to see what the status is. Put some oil down the spark plugs holes, compression test, see whats up, etc.

Do you have any knowledge of it's past? How long has it been since it ran? Was it running when parked? I'll shut up now.

/ My Cockshutt 40 #5  
Are you planing on complete tear down..motor.tranny etc.

Tin looks good,finger cross for normal wear.

/ My Cockshutt 40
Yes I know the guy I bought it from and he said he just parked it and there it sat.
I went to a fourth of July party with the wife to watch fireworks and another friend is renting the old farmhouse and the owner also was there. I put a bug in his ear and saw him a week or so later and worked it into the conversation.
He said yes and said he wont give it away and was $200.00 more than I was going to start so I said I'll take it and we shook hands.
Now I have been pouring Liquid Wrench all over and got the right brake to work, not the left yet.
I want it to be original and found vintage tractor parts places and a cockshutt web page and that is very helpful.
Haven't told the wife yet because she didn't think I needed it.
Now its in the driveway with flat front tires and the are really sad shape. I will tell her "Look what the Tractor Fairy brought me" when she gets home.
"PRICELESS" I will post pics of the progress and I have no doubt I will need information in volumes,
The other friend that lives there said the owner absolutely did not want him to work on it or anything.
Thanks,
Bob

/ My Cockshutt 40
Sorry forgot to mention that yes I plan on a complete tear down for the engine , but the transmission work I have never done. I will replace seals for the PTO and such but to get into that scares the you know what out of me.
The tin has minor issues so I feel lucky and also have friends that restore old cars so maybe I can get help with that.
I have been pouring liquid wrench on the spark plugs to help and will wait about a week or so to try to remove them. I want to make sure the engine is not froze.
It's hard not to pick up some tools and see what is this going to do.
Bob

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 400
   / My Cockshutt 40 #8  
Blow the dirt out around the plugs before you take them out if they are recessed. I wouldn't know where to start except to take a LOT of pic's from every angle and many closeups too.

/ My Cockshutt 40 #9  
If your wifey totally erupts, you can blame it on me and I'll come take it off your hands...:D:D:D

/ My Cockshutt 40 #10  
Personally, I wouldn't touch a thing. I think it's perfect as is.