My computer has been hijacked!

/ My computer has been hijacked! #11  
Restore won't delete anything, it just resets the registry to a point in the past. I used it several times on the church computer when I was trying to add new users to a wireless network. Simple and painless (but I don't know that it will solve your problem).

You can, and should, upgrade your XP for SP2. It doesn't matter that XP came on the computer. SP2 is available to you - and highly recommended. Listen to Junkman!

/ My computer has been hijacked! #12  
You can do a Restore and won't lose any files. Just do a Restore back to a day or so before this all started. You can always undo the Restore. This is one of the best features MS has came out with.

/ My computer has been hijacked! #13  
Durbob, the system restore feature in WinXP only deals with system files, it does nothing with your personal files. I would try that on your system and see if it helps. Just make sure you choose a restore point that is before you noticed your browser acting strange.

Here is a link to a Microsoft Article about Restore Points

Lawrence

/ My computer has been hijacked! #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Ad-Aware SE Personal???

Spybot - Search & Destroy????

both are freeware. Try Spybot first. They both tend to catch different things. )</font>

Excellent suggestions, and it will do the job....the most important part left is to delete the file out of the quarantine
which both these programs do on default. In other words the virus is not deleted until you manually delete them from the quarantine....

Duc

/ My computer has been hijacked! #15  
Bob,
Mine did the same thing a while back. Nothing seemed to work right until I deleted all the cookies.

/ My computer has been hijacked! #16  
I didn't know anything about this Service Pack 2. I went to MS's website and low and behold, there it was. Since it's such a large file 75MB, I opted to order it. It's totally free and I can share it with my son. Thanks for the info.

I wonder why the Automatic Update didn't pick this up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ My computer has been hijacked! #17  
Microsoft is making SP2 available for Auto Update on a rotating basis (geographically maybe?), probably because it is so large. If everyone's computer did it at the same time automatically, it would probably bog down their servers.

On the other hand, there has been a lot of publicity on the subject, and it has been available for manual update for several weeks. Like Junkman said, there are some security updates that appear to be worthwhile. I hope they work. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ My computer has been hijacked! #18  
Thanks Bill, what you said makes sense. I guess I missed all the publicity but that's no surprise. I usually don't catch anything till it's ancient history /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ My computer has been hijacked! #19  
Durbob,

Here's a Top Ten List on why you should download and install SP2.

/ My computer has been hijacked! #20  
Durbob, If the spybot s&d doesn't work look for regcleaner and with some knowledge of whats on your pc program wise you can delete specific disguised entries that eat up your processing time, bandwidth and hijack home page(trojan virus?). After using the spybot & adaware write down the programs that were listed to be deleted,then with regcleaner look for the same entries and delete(but you must be sure its not a program you need) Good Luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Its a little scary but it will fix the re-occurring thing
OH yea I forgot as other may have mention always check microsoft for updates (security)