My computer has been hijacked!

/ My computer has been hijacked! #21  
I know this my sound silly but have you tried to use spy-bot in safe mode? Theres alot of those "BUGS" that embed themselves so deep into your sys32 folder that even if you find and delete them they just return when you re-boot your comp. I use that program alot and once I got that darn thing out of my comp I de-activate all direct-x controls (cause thats how it happens). But now I use a program called windows trace remover that removes all cookies ect. before I shut down (greatly reduces even remote chance) of attacks.

/ My computer has been hijacked! #22  
I would be very hesitant to recommend to anyone that isn't computer literate to use any program that messes with the registry. One wrong move and the patient is dead. As they say... my day starts when your day ends...... and I will be the last one to let you down. You don't want to be owning a dead computer with all those pictures. You also might consider doing a backup of all your important files and pictures. You never know when the hard drive is going to peter out....

/ My computer has been hijacked! #23  
Durbob,

You have certainly been offered a LOT of advice to help you un-hijack. I would agree with most/all, but I would pay careful attention to the ORDER in which you do things.

First, if your computer is working (booting, programs run, etc), I would NOT do a RESTORE. As others have said, that operation will only re-set your computer's "housekeeping" functions to an earlier time. It will not eliminate a hijack problem.

Second, do NOT install Windows SP2 until AFTER you have resolved the current problem. SP2 is not without its own set of problems /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. A number of people have reported boot failure after SP2 installation /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Many times this is the result of an unsigned driver conflict, but it can be a vexing problem to sort out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Prudence dictates solving your present problem FIRST, before making a change which may bring its own new set of problems.

Third, I would start off using CWShredder, available from:
Download CWShredder 1.59 This is a safe and easily executed utility which, chances are, will eliminate your problem.

Fourth, I would suggest running Ad-aware 6, and quarantine everything it picks up. You can download it here:
Ad-aware Download.

"Hijack This" is a great utility if your problem persists. However, I would strongly suggest that unless you are in to this stuff, you run the utility to collect the data, and then have someone review it before deleting anything.

To PREVENT or minimize repeat hijacking, I would suggest looking at "X-Setup Pro 6.6." It is, like everything else I've emntioned, freeware for an individual user. You can download it here:
X-Setup Pro 6.6 Download Page.

Good luck...

/ My computer has been hijacked!
Tracdoc, i have done all that. I have used every spy detector program out there including all the ones mentioned and my homepage still gets hijacked. I know it's in my registry and it's gonna take someone more computer savvy than me to fix it i guess. Thanks for all your help anyway. I'll get it out somehow.
Durbob

/ My computer has been hijacked! #25  
Do the restore and see if it helps... if it does, then you are home free...... if it doesn't, then you can do the restore back to the current date. I have found that it has fixed problems for me when I have had a program take control of my computer in a way that I didn't want.

/ My computer has been hijacked! #26  
I agree. You don't have nothing to lose but maybe 10 minutes.

/ My computer has been hijacked! #27  
I started a post about this subject a few weeks back. Thread Link The program I used fixed my hijacker problem when everything else failed. The software is called 'Geek SuperHero', it will reset your IE settings and prevent them from being altered in the future.

/ My computer has been hijacked! #28  
I have had the best luck with Adaware from Lavasoft - its a free download. Have yet to fail to clean up 3 or 4 machines that were badly infected by spyware. It might take 2 scans to clean it up completely.

Something else that can help a tremendous amount is a firewall like Zonealarm. The built-in firewall in XP is very helpful also, in fact thats all I run on this laptop and have had no problems.

/ My computer has been hijacked!
I had hopes for the geek superhero Jerry, but after setting it up it couldn't stop the homepage from being hijacked either. I have zone alarm and AVG virus protection along with about 6 spyware programs now. Nothing is working. The cw shredder and ad aware and all the others pick it up , but it comes back after they say it has been deleted. I even found a website that showed how to change the registry to get it out. Spent about 90 minutes doing that for nothing. This thing is buried deep in my computer.

/ My computer has been hijacked! #30  
I don't remember the exact method, but when removing a virus, you have to turn off something in windows and then remove the virus. Hopefully someone else here can help with the exact details. If not, in the morning I will look for my copy of the instructions. Junk...