My First Grading Project...

/ My First Grading Project...
Roy,

You can join the tractor party too /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. Actually I bought my TC35D at Gaithersburg Equipment. White's Ferry would have been the quickest way to get it home. I was so tempted /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. That would have raised a few eyebrows when I drove onto General Jubal A. Early!

Peter

Bird,

I wish you could join us! Thanks for answering my question. So does this mean that you prefer the bucket teeth to the boxblade scarifiers for you recent gravel work? Or perhaps you are using a bit of both. I guess I better not try a boxblade with a hydraulic toplink or I'll never go back /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Peter

/ My First Grading Project... #13  
Peter; It sure would of raised some eyebrows. Maybe if it stays this cold long enough, the river will freeze and I can drive directly over it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

/ My First Grading Project... #14  
Peter:

I just might stop by sometime - maybe when it gets a little warmer (and less muddy).

Are you building the house yourself? I remember when we had our our house built out here two years ago. We lived over in Centerville and came out to visit our "concrete hole in the ground" EVERY weekend!

18-32378-billanim.gif

/ My First Grading Project... #15  
Peter, if I had a lot of that kind of work to do, I'd probably use the scarifiers on the box blade to loosen it up first, but I was doing a relatively small job and experimenting, so I just left the scarifiers turned up out of the way and only used the front end loader with tooth bar to tear out and move the crushed rock, then the box blade to smooth and level it where I put it. Actually the ground was still too damp and slick to get good traction, but with the tooth bar I was still able to push into and under the rock and get a full bucket every time.

Bird

/ My First Grading Project... #16  
Well I must say that your du jour implement is a fine choice. Thats the same blade I've got, I bought mine used for next to nothing from the dealer. I also have the gaugewheel endplates and for snow I've got skidshoes. But if your going to buy it new sit down when they qoute you the price!!!

As to which implement to get for your drive you have a few different choices that would work for you depending on your drive and the other chores that you have in mind for the tractor.

First is the blade great for crowning and also for snow removal. If you do decide on the blade with gaugewheel also go the extra mile and get the endplates for the blade. When grading I use one endplate on the trailing end of the blade that way the gravel doesn't spill out two quick when leveling. Another advantage to the endplates is that you end up with a wide box only with no rippers. I use this setup on some drives and grading projects. This may sound crazy but at times it's best to turn the blade around and that way it won't dig in and cause washboarding.

Another option is a rake with gaugewheels, this will also work well on some drives. Some rakes are made so you can also mount a blade on them as well. I had a blade for my rake by I sprung it. My fault trying to do too much with it, I should have dropped it off and put on the box for what needed done that day. A costly mistake but live and learn.

If you have alot of heavy work to do the way to go is a boxblade.

For any grading a hydraulic toplink makes things go much faster.

Hope this helps
Any other questions just ask
Gordon

Bill,

Nothing would make me happier than to build the house myself. Unfortunately, a full time job prevents this. I really do like that kind of work but after a building a deck on my current house (which turned out very nice), I have a better appreciation of the absolutlely HUGE amount of effort involved. No way I could do it myself unless I could take a year off. I do give the builder plenty of advice though /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Peter

/ My First Grading Project... #18  
Bird, Let me see if I get this right! So your pleased with your brothers investment for your tractor. I'm sure I'll confuse some folks. I still am waiting to get mine! Still to wet here anyway. snows still melting and there calling for rain.
DDT

/ My First Grading Project... #19  
Yep, Dana, quite pleased. That tooth bar was just a tiny bit too long, and I should have fixed it myself, but since I knew where to find a real welder who'd work cheap, I let him cut it right where it had been cut before, and then weld it back together. I almost didn't have him take enough out. It fits quite snug, but of course, that just means it's good and solid and works very well.

And for those of you who didn't understand, Dana traded up to a bigger tractor, so I bought his old tooth bar for my tractor. Another case of getting a used item cheaper, and it's just as good as a new one./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And since my brother has a small mountain that needs moving, I got him to pay half the cost./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird