Buying Advice My First Tractor

/ My First Tractor #1  

markjtrickey

Tractor
Kubota B2650
Hi all,

First time poster and soon to be first time tractor owner. I知 looking to get some feedback on an appropriate tractor to purchase and any specific suggestions anyone may have.

We just purchased a 渡ew to us house on five acres. Below are some of the tasks and maintenance items I知 looking to accomplish.

1. Take care of シ to ⅛ acre vegetable garden. Till, plow, etc.
  2. Mow ~ 1 ス acres of grass. Quite a few trees, garden areas, etc to maneuver around.
  3. Maintain a gravel driveway leading to the back garage.
  4. Possibly plow our private drive on the few occasions it snows here in NC.
  5. Lots of flower garden to tend. Transporting mulch, dirt, rocks, etc.

I would also like the ability to attach a back hoe in the future.

I have started doing some research already and of course have a million questions. This is turning out to be much more complicated than buying a lawn mower at Home Depot :) but I assume I am looking at a sub compact or compact tractor.

One that I was looking at was a 2010 JD 2320/Loader (~ $12,000) but after reading some reviews I came away with more questions than answers. Some indicated it was under-powered and it was mentioned it only had one hydraulic pump so the loader was difficult to use as it could only lift or tilt (not sure if that is the right terminology) at one time, not both at the same time.

Thanks,
Mark

/ My First Tractor #2  
In my opinion you should be looking at tractors with 32+ horsepower and a minimum weight, including FEL, of 3,200 pounds. Tractor weight is as important as tractor horsepower.

An HST transmission would be your best choice.

Almost every tractor brand has an entry with these specs. Many used tractors are available within these parameters.

A backhoe added after purchase is VERY expensive. What use do you forecast for a backhoe? Nothing in specs 1-5 suggests a requirement for a backhoe…….

Perhaps we can suggest alternatives which will save you $8,000 - $10,000.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
   / My First Tractor #3  
Welcome, What dealers are within 50 miles of you? Go sit your butt down in a few of them for fit.

/ My First Tractor #5  
Welcome from West Virginia ........

/ My First Tractor
In my opinion you should be looking at tractors with 32+ horsepower and a weight, including FEL, of 3,000 pounds minimum. An HST transmission would be your best choice.

Almost every tractor brand has an entry with these specs. Many used tractors are available within these parameters.

A backhoe added after purchase is VERY expensive. What use do you forecast for a backhoe? Nothing in specs 1-5 suggests a requirement for a backhoe?.

Perhaps we can suggest alternatives which will save you $8,000 - $10,000.

Hi Jeff,

The only tasks I had in mind for a backhoe were digging a smallish pond and planting trees, shrubs, bamboo, etc. around the property over the next year or so. If it was just the pond I would rent, but I'm not sure what I would use to plant larger trees other than a backhoe, besides a shovel :)

Curious why the 32+ horsepower. I don't have enough knowledge to agree or disagree, but that engine size seems to push me into an entirely different price point that something along the size of the JD2320. Are there certain tasks that I would be unable to do with the smaller engine, or does the larger engine just provide extra breathing room, speed, etc.?

Thanks,
-mark

/ My First Tractor #8  
Quote: Curious why the 32+ horsepower. I don't have enough knowledge to agree or disagree, but that engine size seems to push me into an entirely different price point that something along the size of the JD2320. Are there certain tasks that I would be unable to do with the smaller engine, or does the larger engine just provide extra breathing room, speed, etc.?

Because some like spending other peoples money, LOL.
I maintain 2 acres of lawn, 1.5 km's of bush road, snowblow a 300 foot driveway with a turnaround for my transport, and handle 9 foot long 19" diameter maple logs with a Kubota B2620 and it handles it all just fine.
That JD 2320 would also run out of traction before it runs out of power.

/ My First Tractor #9  
The only tasks I had in mind for a backhoe were digging a smallish pond and planting trees, shrubs, bamboo, etc. around the property over the next year or so. If it was just the pond I would rent, but I'm not sure what I would use to plant larger trees other than a backhoe, besides a shovel.

With a <$400 Bucket Spade attached to your FEL bucket you can dig holes 48" in diameter and 54" deep pretty quickly---------if the FEL and tractor are heavy enough. (Don't use ambiguous words like "larger" give the size/weight/dimension.)

You can rent an excavator for the pond or, you can dig a pond slowly with a Tooth Bar attached to the FEL-------if the FEL and tractor are heavy enough and if you have a truck or trailer to haul the spoil.

A backhoe is fine if you use it frequently. Most tractor owners do not; some do. Sitting in storage does backhoe hydraulics and pin lubrication no good.

Take your backhoe money and invest it in a larger, more capable, tractor/loader.

Bucket Spade LINK:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/258433-florida-planting-sand-pears-kubota.html

Here is a LINK to 446 threads in the T-B-N archive which contain the word "POND" in the title:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1282704

Attachments

• DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 300
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:
   / My First Tractor #10  
Curious why the 32+ horsepower. I don't have enough knowledge to agree or disagree, but that engine size seems to push me into an entirely different price point that something along the size of the JD2320. Are there certain tasks that I would be unable to do with the smaller engine, or does the larger engine just provide extra breathing room, speed, etc.

Tractor/Loader weight is as important, perhaps more important, than Tractor/Loader horsepower.

I "learned" on a Deere/Yanmar 750. Then, based on my experience, I bought my first Kubota, a B3300SU tractor/loader. It seemed awfully big at first, but after 200 hours I was working it harder than I thought prudent from an equipment longevity standpoint and a safety standpoint. While I experienced no trouble, I worried about overloading the front axle working it hard. Now I have a Kubota L3560, 2,000 pounds heavier than the B3300SU, but only a little more horsepower. L3560 is up to all tasks------safely.

Most people find their first tractor purchase is too small. I found my first TWO tractor purchases too small. For the tasks you have outlined I recommend a MINIMUM of 32 horsepower and a MINIMUM weight of 3,200 pounds, including FEL. You will have most of your additional investment returned when you sell.

Last edited: