Buying Advice My First Tractor

/ My First Tractor #11  
I maintain 2 acres of lawn, 1.5 km's of bush road, snowblow a 300 foot driveway with a turnaround for my transport, and handle 9 foot long 19" diameter maple logs with a Kubota B2620 and it handles it all just fine.

Bully for you, Paystar.

/ My First Tractor
Appreciate the insight. I think I have been talked out of the BH, especially given the information that I can dig a good sized hole with the FEL. Any of the jobs I had in mind, except maybe the pond, I believe I could now manage with the FEL. Thanks for saving me some $$$!

As far as size I imagine at the end of all this I will follow advice I have seen on here earlier and that is to get the biggest tractor I can afford. Unfortunately there will always be a bigger one calling my name and taunting my wallet :) Is there any concern using a MMM with the larger heavier tractors? Tearing up or compacting the lawn? I'm trying to get the best of both worlds were my wife or I can mow the lawn, but also have all the benefits of a real tractor.

For brands I have been focused on JD and Kubota as they are the only ones I am familiar with, but would appreciate any input. From other postings it appears a lot comes down to personal preference or brand loyalty aside from some obvious price differences between some of the cheaper and or name brands.

-mark

/ My First Tractor #13  
What dealers do you have within 50 miles of you?

/ My First Tractor #14  
The other thing to consider is, how much weight do you need to lift with the FEL / 3 PT ? The small tractor isn't going to lift as much as a larger tractor and probably have a smaller GPM HYD pump. I too would suggest no smaller that a 30-35 HP tractor. If you need to plant trees. buy a 3PT PHD....Most tractors will only have only 1 HYD pump. The larger tractor HYD pump will flow more HYD fluid than the HYD pump on the small tractor

/ My First Tractor #15  
As far as size I imagine at the end of all this I will follow advice I have seen on here earlier and that is to get the biggest tractor I can afford. Unfortunately there will always be a bigger one calling my name and taunting my wallet :)

Is there any concern using a MMM with the larger heavier tractors? Tearing up or compacting the lawn? I'm trying to get the best of both worlds were my wife or I can mow the lawn, but also have all the benefits of a real tractor.

For brands I have been focused on JD and Kubota as they are the only ones I am familiar with, but would appreciate any input. From other postings it appears a lot comes down to personal preference or brand loyalty aside from some obvious price differences between some of the cheaper and or name brands.

Once you start visiting dealers, PHYSICAL SIZE will intimidate your desire for too large a tractor at first.

You do not want a MMM with your tractor. Use the mower you have now or buy a Three Point Hitch mounted rear Finish Mower, a Flail Mower or a Rotary Cutter/Bush Hog. MMM have to be removed to provide ground clearance for other tasks, a tedious process. MMMs are tractor brand specific; Finish Mowers and Rotary Cutters are not. With a Finish Mower you can mow under trees and under most fences, so less trimming. Flail Mowers are a little expensive but cut nicely and are compact. (Rotary Cutters are not as maneuverable as Finish Mowers, nor do 'Hogs provide a fine, groomed cut.)

(In any case, a MMM or Finish Mower should have inside storage so the blades maintain corrosion free. 'Hogs, among the most indestructible of implements, usually store outside. )

I do not tear up my own lawn with my 5,400 pound tractor with industrial (R4) tires, but I live in an area where mud is unknown. You are intending to buy an FEL, so you will likely opt for industrial tires, which are wider and have heavier sidewalls to support FEL loads, rather than R1 Ag tires. Also industrial tires are more puncture resistant at the burn pile and in the woods.

Dealer cordiality, service and access are more important than tractor brand. While you pay more for a Deere or a Kubota, they depreciate less than other brands, so you recover most of the premium when you sell, so don't worry too much about that. I am grateful my Kubota dealer is just six miles from my property.

As your wife will operate the tractor you almost certainly want an HST transmission, which is easy to learn to operate and operate with max torque at low speeds.

Last edited:
   / My First Tractor #17  
The other thing to consider is, how much weight do you need to lift with the FEL / 3 PT ? The small tractor isn't going to lift as much as a larger tractor and probably have a smaller GPM HYD pump. I too would suggest no smaller that a 30-35 HP tractor. If you need to plant trees. buy a 3PT PHD....Most tractors will only have only 1 HYD pump. The larger tractor HYD pump will flow more HYD fluid than the HYD pump on the small tractor

I don't understand why some of you are talking 30+HP CUT for someone who is mowing 2 acres or less. You can do that with a riding mower with less than 20 HP gas engine. Where is the need for more than a SCUT or low to mid 20's HP?

Have you ever used a small CUT? A B series Kubota or Kioti CK20 or CK27 would easily do the tasks listed on 2-3 acres. It would cost less, use less expensive and easier to store implements too. For the cost of a 30+HP CUT you can get a BX25 or equivalent and have the bonus backhoe too. A BH is much more valuable on a small lot than an extra 5-10 HP IMO. Been there.

There are certainly situations were more than mid 20's HP can be justified on a small lot but I don't see any in the OP's initial note.

/ My First Tractor #18  
Just two more cents from another John Deere guy -

It can be overwhelming but try to have fun with it. I used to go to the farm show every summer and spend hours sitting on all the different tractors just to get an idea of what's out there before I bought mine. They're all beautiful machines and we all picked one for a variety of reasons.

I use a 2720 with a FEL to help me maintain my 2.5 acre lot but the only uses we have in common are the transporting of mulch, dirt, rocks, etc. you mentioned in #5. I've never had a problem with it lacking ability to do those things as long as you use proper ballast and don't expect large tractor work from a compact utility machine. I also run a good-sized chipper off the back with no issues. According to the website the 2320 provides 24 HP at 1,600 lbs. compared to the 2720 with 31 HP at 1,900 lbs. Perhaps some of our 2320 owners can comment on whether or not that 2320 is underweight or underpowered for what you want to do. The loader is very easy to use but I don't know what manufacturers or models allow you to tilt and lift at the same time if that's really important for you to have. It's true that the hydraulics can be limiting and that's the reason I went with a stand-alone splitter rather than a 3 point hitch model because the cycle time would have been way to slow. I've done a lot of loader work with my tractor though, mostly moving dirt and firewood, and I've never had trouble getting it to do what I need it to do.

I would agree with sitting on a number of different tractors and having any attachments put on when you buy it, that is if you really need the backhoe. I almost bought mine without the loader and I would have regretted that move. Good luck.

/ My First Tractor #19  
I don't understand why some of you are talking 30+HP CUT for someone who is mowing 2 acres or less. You can do that with a riding mower with less than 20 HP gas engine. Where is the need for more than a SCUT or low to mid 20's HP?

Have you ever used a small CUT? A B series Kubota or Kioti CK20 or CK27 would easily do the tasks listed on 2-3 acres. It would cost less, use less expensive and easier to store implements too. For the cost of a 30+HP CUT you can get a BX25 or equivalent and have the bonus backhoe too. A BH is much more valuable on a small lot than an extra 5-10 HP IMO. Been there.

There are certainly situations were more than mid 20's HP can be justified on a small lot but I don't see any in the OP's initial note.

I'm inclined to agree here. I would think that 2320 he's looking at would take care of his task list pretty well. Guys on this site are doing them with their SCUTs all the time.

/ My First Tractor #20  

I'm inclined to agree here. I would think that 2320 he's looking at would take care of his task list pretty well. Guys on this site are doing them with their SCUTs all the time.