Buying Advice My First Tractor

/ My First Tractor #31  
  • All the land is either grass, garden area, or mature woods. I don't foresee any need for any heavy brush clearing in my future, but I do see the need for the tractor to be able to navigate back into the woods for FEL tasks. Bringing in mulch or chips and bringing out firewood or stones.

Subcompacts, like the Kubota BX series, have only 9" ground clearance with MMM removed. Some Kubota 'B' series and all 'L' series have 13" ground clearance. I am sure it is the same for Deere product lines. Can't navigate far with 9" ground clearance.

You should have iterated WOODS in Post #1.

Last edited:
   / My First Tractor #32  
Subcompacts, like the Kubota BX series, have only 9" ground clearance with MMM removed. Some Kubota 'B' series and all 'L' series have 13" ground clearance. I am sure it is the same for Deere product lines. Can't navigate far with 9" ground clearance.

It would have been better had you mentioned WOODS in Post #1.

I agree that you wouldn't do major land clearing in the woods with a SCUT but it doesn't sound like that is the major purpose. If you need to work in a particular parcel of land that has woods, simply clear a path into the area you want to work. For homeowner tasks that should be fine.

/ My First Tractor #33  
My daughter and son in law have about 2.5 acres and they bought a Kubota B2620 with FEL and a mid mount mower that my daughter uses to mow their place with all the time. She rarely cranks up the riding lawn mower as she can get as close as she need to without it. They also bought a 5 foot tiller, hiller and middle buster attachments for use in the garden. It handles all of them fine. Son in law says he doesn't even take the mower off to use the tiller or hiller. The mower drags the tops off the rows so it has a nice flat surface ready to plant but his soil is very sandy and soft so YMMV on that one. Anyway it seems to be a nice sized tractor for his uses.
I have a Kubota B26 TLB which is about the same frame size but much heavier than the B2xxx series due to the sub-frame that is not removable. That would be an issue with any tractor with a back hoe, I don't think a mid-mount mower would fit if you had a subframe mounted backhoe and it isn't recommended to use a backhoe on the 3 PH of a CUT.
Check out the B series. I think you will find them to be the best size for your needs. Lots of used ones around also but I find used prices for the most part to be way out of line as they are usually not more than 10% or so under new prices for one with less than 300 hours.

/ My First Tractor #34  
I would be looking at a BX-25D TLB. gives you everything you want plus a MMM.

/ My First Tractor #35  
Here is a tip for buying used, buy a JD from a Kubota dealer and a Kubota from a JD dealer. I've found that these two want to get there bastard of the lot and will make a grate cash deal! This time last year I bought a BX2200, loader, cab, front snow blower with 300hrs for 7K from a Mahindra dealer.

/ My First Tractor
Subcompacts, like the Kubota BX series, have only 9" ground clearance with MMM removed. Some Kubota 'B' series and all 'L' series have 13" ground clearance. I am sure it is the same for Deere product lines. Can't navigate far with 9" ground clearance. You should have iterated WOODS in Post #1.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the ground clearance. The woods I will be in are quite mature and have mostly been cleared by the previous owner. Mostly I would be back there to gather wood or spread mulch on some trails.

/ My First Tractor #37  
Aother reason I like my little B......I get all my firewood off my own land but don't want it clear cut or a mess. So for me I don't want anything bigger than atv size trails off my main road. With the B I end up with just nice atv or walking trails.
A bigger tractor would mean bigger roads.

/ My First Tractor #38  
I would be looking at a BX-25D TLB. gives you everything you want plus a MMM.

As the owner of a BX23, I agree. When I first started reading this thread my first thought was that a BX25D with a MMM would probably be the right tool for the job.

The MMM is much easier to maneuver around trees, landscaping and in tight spaces than a rear-mounted mower.

/ My First Tractor #39  
As the owner of a BX23, I agree. When I first started reading this thread my first thought was that a BX25D with a MMM would probably be the right tool for the job.

The MMM is much easier to maneuver around trees, landscaping and in tight spaces than a rear-mounted mower.

Yes I agree.