My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,761  
Good to hear that your daughter is doing better!!!

I'm surprised that you need a permit for a barn. We don't have any rules on what we build outside of city limits here in Texas. I'm also surprised that you have to go the Department of Health for permission to build a barn. That actually sounds scary to me!!!!!!

How big is the barn going to be? Can you share your plans?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,762  
The state says no building permit required for ag building. The county has a 15 page application for the barn. State dept of health is included to make sure you that it wont affect septic or well.
County wants to know proximity to property lines, stream buffers and to clamp down on “barndominiums”. They want to get up your backside and know your business. And I’m sure they want to tax the heck out of everything.

The barn is small. Just big enough to satisfy our needs. 24x40x12with a 12 foot overhang
Metal tube frame, on dirt, anchored to the ground with mobile home screws. Tubes are 4 foot on center
IMG_1430.jpg

I scraped away the bromegrass and I’m digging out the 3-6 inch difference with a shovel around the outline of “foundation. Using the tractor and boxblade to create swales in front and back to prevent rain from working its way into the barn. The sight is a relatively flat saddle on the field in front of the house. Barn has 10x10 rollup doors front and back. And 5 windows starting at 5 feet high.
A0FDB66E-841D-49BC-BA4C-60E71EDB9591.jpg

3ED81C17-B7AF-498D-9E6B-5EA922DADE85.jpg

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,763  
NICE!!!!! That's going to be a great barn, and big enough for a lot more goats.

Looks like you have been busy. Isn't it funny how much money you spend once you get animals on your land?

#4,764  
We visited some folks who we want to buy heard stock from and they had a similar metal building in a classic Barn configuration, much bigger than this one. They had about 100 does and 80 kids when we visited. It worked amazingly well so I took that concept. Listened to what they said they would change and crafted it to what our expected size needs are. If I outgrow this, that would be a nice problem to have. If I decide that I don’t want animals anymore, its still a nice barn.
I’m not building because I’m having surgery in a month and I need something now. I’m going metal carport style because I can cashflow it and they can have it up fast. They wanted to put it in next week but I have the county to contend with.

#4,765  
NICE!!!!! That's going to be a great barn, and big enough for a lot more goats.

Looks like you have been busy. Isn't it funny how much money you spend once you get animals on your land?

Yes. Yesterday, after we moved the goats I told my wife I’d get her a cider. She said she was a cheap date. I laughed at that. I think I actually caught that on video.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,767  
Are you going to build a catch pen for your goats? or a handling facility? That's my next project. I have too many, and I don't have any way to catch them, or work them, so they run wild.

#4,768  
Buckeye, I was looking at your thread yesterday wondering what was new.

Eddie, I definitely plan to, after I recover. We are thinking of putting plank fence walls on the overhang outer wall and using cattle panels or gate on the ends at first. We can also use that for additional dog space when we get the next LGD and need to keep it separate from the goats but near them. That was one of the cool things they did at the farm we were at, they had a small building there that was pretty old, only about 12x12 , about 15-20 feet from the back of the barn, but they built gates on two sides of it and and another wooden fence making a nice corral with kid gates.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,769  
Buckeye, I was looking at your thread yesterday wondering what was new.
I have lots of regret not purchasing the land in WV that had magnificent view. My concern was the cost of a water well, but I could have put in a cistern for what I need for a cabin. Will be going down to the VA lot soon, my camera stopped sending pictures. Need to see if it's still there...

#4,770  
Well, you guys warned me, that I would be working on things for years after moving in. It’s been almost 10 months and yesterday I hung a door on our bedroom. A lot of the tasks take longer now because we are running multiple projects at once and picking at the inside stuff a little bit at a time.
This door took me most of the day. It’s 36 inches and the door frame had started coming apart because it got moved so many times. But once it was hung, trimming it out was an absolute pain every piece e has to be cut to custom widths to fit the walls and I dont have a table saw. I need to bite the bullet and get a decent collapsible contractor saw.

The final result was very nice. With the layout of the house, it hasn’t been terrible, but with a new puppy in the house and the grandkids coming for a week this summer I needed to get-er-done. While I had the tools out I cut some thin trim pieces for a few more doors that were still lacking and hung some drapes for Jefanna’s office.
After I took this picture I realized that I need a piece of trim at the top to cover the 2x4 that sits on top of the Fir beam.
D71B75E6-96D7-4C61-ACAB-4170B01333E9.jpg

8523B36E-A88A-4810-B80A-5D1995919D12.jpg