My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,741  
I think there is a lot of stuff I’d do different. I didn’t put a bright enough light over the kitchen sink.
I meant to, but never got around to sound proofing the wall between main room/kitchen and my bedroom.
I probably wouldnt put the pex tubing in the floor for heat. I have not used it yet but it has also been a warm December.— I do get complaints from Lauren about being cold. She keeps turning the fan off on her mini split. I also put it higher than I should have, because she has high ceiling. It still should have been about 8 feet.
The dryer is loud. I would have tried to put the laundry on an exterior wall, farther away from the living room. I’m sure there will be more
Sounds like a somewhat similar list to my house, haha. Really though, you are lucky to have such a short list of gripes. You can fix the sink lighting (eventually), right?

Lauren needs to learn about sweaters, lol. Or even a nice fuzzy robe and some slippers.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,742  
Sounds like a somewhat similar list to my house, haha. Really though, you are lucky to have such a short list of gripes. You can fix the sink lighting (eventually), right?

Lauren needs to learn about sweaters, lol. Or even a nice fuzzy robe and some slippers.
But I will say I like sitting around in a t shirt instead of a sweatshirt. I am usually out in the garage or work shop that are heated to 56 deg F room tmperatures via heated slabs. Typically have a sweatshirt on there and a pair of bibs over my pants. Comfortable. Then I come into 68 deg F house temperature with baseboard heat, and a tshirt works for me. Just saying. Jon

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,743  
But I will say I like sitting around in a t shirt instead of a sweatshirt. I am usually out in the garage or work shop… Then I come into 68 deg F house temperature with baseboard heat, and a tshirt works for me. Just saying. Jon
Same here, except my garage is unheated and varies from 15-45°, or i work outdoors, and then I come inside to 75+° after my wife has been stuffing the woodstove all day (or the sun was out). We’re all so used to 70+ inside that when it gets down to 68, everyone has hoodies on and yells at me to make a fire, haha.
I ain’t complaining though, always easy to crack a window and regulate with some pure fresh air if needed.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,744  
The only zone I have with a floor temp sensor is the garage as it is kept lower than the house and those large doors get opened in very cold weather. The control I have for the garage averages air temp and slab temp somehow. The rest of the house zones are a tstat on the wall controlling the zone from air temp and work fine.

The thing you need to realize about any tstat is that the number on it is a reading, not an absolute. These things are not NIST traceable. They just are not that precise. So if this room is set at 70 and feels good (warm) but the next room at 70 feels too cold, turn the 2nd room up a degree and see if that is better. If not, go another degree (waiting a couple hours at least each time). What matters is the comfort of the room relative to what you want (and are willing to pay for). Don't worry what the degree number is...

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#4,745  
I’m gonna take a look at that Honeywell T6. The smart thermostat I bought is a T9. My big issue is how do I power them. They have a
Multi-pin connection block and a “c-wire” connection. The boiler doesn’t appear to be designed to power the just to receive signal from it so you would have a controller elsewhere like from an hvac system or a multi pump relay.

Putting those complexities aside, the floor finally cooled after several days, and I ran the boiler for 2 hours last night. And I’m running for another hour right now, before we leave to get another dog.
I picked up an infrared thermometer yesterday and the floor in my daughters room ranges from 71 to 56 degrees in the outside corner, before I ran the boiler. Most of the floor is 68-70. At that temp, it is easy for her to use the mini split to be comfortable. She can warm the room in a matter of minutes or let it cool down, much faster than if the floor was a few degrees warmer. I think thats what I’m going for, at least for now. I just need to figure out the long term management. Jumping it with a Wago feels a little “sketchy”.

Last edited:
#4,746  
The snow melted and left things soft and wet. And then it rained several times in the last week. I was wearing muck boots working on the shed down by the bond and my foot slipped on the stairs. Hurt my pride but walked away from it. Work has been a bear lately. Ling hours and not much fun. In between we’ve been cleaning up deadfall trees to process for next year’s firewood.
Last week we drove down to pick up Lauren’s puppy. She made a tik tok video.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #4,747  
Pretty soon you will have more pups than goats!

#4,750  
Still
IMG_8478.jpg
trying