My log skidding/ballast hitch project

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project #21  
Seems like there are often cheap PTO winches on Craigslist here, but they are from trucks. The problem would be making it reverse using a tractor PTO.

Bruce

Hey guys,

Many moons ago I used a old truck type PTO winch to make a portable logging type winch. I used an 10 horse, horizontal shaft lawn tractor engine for power. To get reverse out of the thing, I salvaged a reversing gear box off of a snow-mobile. No speed reduction in it, just F and R. My 'clutch' was just a belt tensioner on a lever, much like a mower deck would use. The winch was a worm drive, so built in load holding.... although all it did was drag stuff. :)

NV

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project
Hey guys,

Many moons ago I used a old truck type PTO winch to make a portable logging type winch. I used an 10 horse, horizontal shaft lawn tractor engine for power. To get reverse out of the thing, I salvaged a reversing gear box off of a snow-mobile. No speed reduction in it, just F and R. My 'clutch' was just a belt tensioner on a lever, much like a mower deck would use. The winch was a worm drive, so built in load holding.... although all it did was drag stuff. :)

NV

Bet that would pull a house down! Great use of recycled equipment.

/ My log skidding/ballast hitch project #24  
Very nice PapaPerk...looking to build something very similar to your design.We just purchased a L3000DT for our woods work.

Very nice PapaPerk...looking to build something very similar to your design.We just purchased a L3000DT for our woods work.

There's a couple companies making similar units... Wallenstein for one. But I wanted to make my own.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your new logging tractor in action!