Front-End Loader My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience #11  
Welcome to the FEL club! Awesome photo essay on the install. Now you can sell your wheelbarrow. :D

Joe

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience
Good on ya! That's a nice installation. You will find so many things that loader will be useful for, and you'll wonder how you ever got by without.

Don't want to be the safety police or anything, but please be safe when operating the loader. Your Yannie hasn't got a ROPS and will be easy to roll if you get that loader up high with any weight in it. Suggestions:
Keep it low when moving and watch out for potholes and uneven ground. Keep that boxblade on in back or something else that's heavy, and think about ballasting your tires if you haven't already done so.

And don't let your wife know how easy it makes garden and landscape chores or your "honey do" list will get out of hand! :laughing:

Thank you...

The ballast and a ROPS are excellent ideas - I appreciate the suggestions - being a new users sometimes the obvious, common sense ideas are not so common or obvious :)

I am already fixin to water/antifreeze the tires as soon as it warms up a little. I am going for a 70/30ish mix.
The ROPS will be on the list for a future mod (sooner always better than later). Most of our property is flat, but that one time... nuff said.

- james

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience
Just short note follow up on note my 'new' Coldwater FEL.

We (me and now all my neighbors) have all been really using the FEL. Have only had one problem to date. The middle hydraulic piston broke. One of the pins came off and I did not do a walk around check before working, thus it was off center and the tension was too much. Use error, not FEL fault. Solution was simple too, went to Tractor Supply and got a piston off the shelf, all fittings were standard so we were back up in running in very short time.

Also the back tires now have water/antifreeze in them... great traction and much nicer ride too.

- james

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience #14  
Excellent.

Fluid in the rear tires is nice. You will be able to pull more, lift more and have better stability, Its a good investment.

Having a machine with 'common' parts is nice to. Down time in the middle of projects is a real buz kill

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience #15  
Any updates on this, looking at one for a JD 790.

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience #16  
I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to throw in another experience with Coldwater Tractor and their FEL.

I have been looking for a loader for about a year since giving up on my Mitsubishi 372D after it kept throwing clutches and I got tired of splitting it. 5 clutches in 5 years with the center splines on the clutch plate disappearing. The plate surfaces and flywheel, and jackshaft from the transmission were all fine. Just the splines on the plate would go away. Anyway... I bought a very used Kubota B7500 DT Narrow. Normally you don't put a FEL on a narrow tractor, but I'd like to think I am smart enough to not go running on a sidehill with the bucket up. I am a firm believer in the laws of physics having survived with a healthy respect for them for 60 some odd years.
I had talked to the three best local tractor sources about putting a loader on my rig. The quotes came in ranging from $3500 to $5000. The loader of choice would be a Woods with a more expensive option of a genuine Kubota but there was some reluctance by the Kubota dealer to put the Kubota loader on a Narrow for fear Kubota might become displeased with the dealership. So an "aftermarket" loader was what was probably going to be used. I had seen many good comments about the Coldwater Tractor FEL. I figured that I would look at them and see if the price was in the same range. I gave them a call since they are just a few hours from my place. They are in Hoquiam, Wa and I am in McMinnville, OR. We ended up also exchanging a couple of emails and all the communications was very friendly and down to earth.
I was given two options... they would palletize the loader and ship it to me. I would have to possibly do some fabrication to make it fit the narrow if it wasn't mounted the same as the standard B7500DT, The loader would cost me $1800 plus $200 for shipping. Or, if I wanted, I could trailer the tractor up to Hoquiam and they would install it for me. The price was the same $1800 with no extra charges. They said I could drop it off and pick it up a week later, or I could make an appointment and they would do it all in one day. Wow, take a three and a half hour drive, get there around 8:00 in the morning, and come home that night with a new loader INSTALLED. Done deal.
I made an appointment for this past thursday, Feb 20, 2014. I drove up in the rain leaving at 4:00 am. I arrived at about 8:10 am. They were waiting for me and had the loader already fabricated and the mounts tack welded, waiting to be sure my tractor wasn't what they expected. They set to work was soon as I had it out of the trailer. I spent the next three hours talking to the owner about various topics of mutual interst while his guys finished all the fabrication and installation. By lunch (12:00 noom) I was loading my tractor into the trailer with a fully welded, painted and mounted FEL. I was back home in McMinnville, OR by 4:30 in the afternoon.
A couple of things to fill in the information dialog. Coldwater makes the FEL at their facility. They have steel delivered from a vendor and they make everything in the frame and arms. The cylinders, fittings, hoses, etc. are all standard parts, nothing exotic or hard to find. Their philosophy is to build a very good quality loader at a very affordable price. It may not be space-age fancy to look at, but it is nuts and bolts solid and ready to go to work. I only had one decision to make... what size bucket to put it. I opted for the 42" instead of the 48" to make sure I didn't overload the tractor. That was my decision, the cost would have been the same with either bucket. I paid $1800.00 cash. No extras or hidden charges. Because I live in Oregon I didn't even have to worry about sales tax.
Now that I am home, how happy am I? Very. I just came in from spending 4 hours working the loader pretty hard. I put a 48" brush hog on the back and then went out to knock down an area of blackberry brush that was over 8 feet tall. The area I was working in covers about 1/2 acre. The ground was soggy and I managed to get the tractor stuck twice. Mind you, this is a 4 WD tractor, but that just means you have twice as much opportunity to bury a tractor if you don't know what you are doing. If you are experiences using a FEL it can be very indispensable in getting unstuck. I was impressed with the power of this FEL. The hydraulics were plenty powerful to assist in pushing the tractor backwards to where I could get enough traction to drive out. My old loader would run into a load where the hydraulics would squawk and not be able to tilt the bucket or raise the arms under a heavy load. No such issues with this loader. It appears to be well matched to the capabilities of the tractor.
Another comment and I will close. Putting the brush hog on the back was a great counterbalance for the loader. I was able to use the loader to knock down high weeds and then run over them with the mower to chop them up. You will need something like this or a box blade on the back if you put a loader on the tractor. Otherwise, you will find that a heavy front bucket full of stuff will make the back wheels hop if you are not smooth on the joy stick.
I am very happy with my Coldwater FEL. I paid less than 1/2 the price of the competition and got what I consider to be a superior piece of equipment. I would recommend earnest consideration of doing business with these guys if you need loader for your tractor. They were straight shooters with me and left me feeling that they honestly appreciated my business. Great product at a great price.

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience #17  
Re: My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience Update June 2015

A couple of follow-ons to my previous post regarding the Coldwater Tractors FEL...

1. I have been using mine for about a year now. Purchased in Feb. of 2014. I really like it. It is well matched to my tractor even though my tractor is a narrow. It has plenty of power for my uses and has been trouble free so far.
2. I broke it last night in an encounter with an oak tree while mowing in a stream bed. My fault. The joystick/valve assembly got wedged in the tree while I was looking the other way and the joystic mechanism broke off at the handle. Again, stricktly my fault. It took me about a 1/2 hour with a come-along to get the tractor out of the tree and I was able to work the loader with a screwdriver to get the bucket out of the ground and up so I could drive back to the shop. Only the joystick assembly was hurt. The valves are rugged and worked fine. I contacted Coldwater Tractor this morning and they helped me contact their supplier and I ordered a subassembly for about $60.00 including shipping that is on its way. Kudos to Coldwater and Bailey International for the great support without any hassles. Just shows this was the right decision for my purchase.
3. I was a bit worried that they might have gone out of business when I tried to go to their website listed above to see how to contact them. This morning I tried making a call to their phone number and they answered. They say they have dropped their website because it is getting confused with another company by the same name down in Georgia that sells parts... so just use the phone number if you want to talk to them. They are very good people in my dealings with them and they make a great product.

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience #18  
Re: My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience Update June 2015

A couple of follow-ons to my previous post regarding the Coldwater Tractors FEL...

I was a bit worried that they might have gone out of business when I tried to go to their website listed above to see how to contact them. This morning I tried making a call to their phone number and they answered. They say they have dropped their website because it is getting confused with another company by the same name down in Georgia that sells parts... so just use the phone number if you want to talk to them. They are very good people in my dealings with them and they make a great product.

I went by their business yesterday to buy spare knives for my S&R Pro Chip PTO wood-chipper - they are definitely still in business and making front end loaders for compact tractors etc.

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience #19  
He needs to hire a consultant who is a good website writer/coordinator.

Coldwater Tractors seems like a great business - with a totally useless PR face presented toward the modern online world. I think he could sell far more loaders with just a modest but reasonable web page.

/ My New Coldwater Front-End-Loader (FEL) experience #20  
Maybe so, but the easiest thing in life is to say something negative!