My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO

/ My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO
RollTideRam said:
I was wondering about engine braking on the rangers. I have a sportsman 500, and it has engine braking. Just have to use the thottle for it to work. Just barely on the gas and barely on the brakes and it goes downhill pretty good.

I think that basically describes the mid size rangers. They do not have the engine braking system the larger machines have. But if u don't let it idle the engine will brake the machine quite well. I have not gone down any steep hills yet though.

/ My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO #22  
That 400 rocks and is about the same as the efi version for seat of the pants power. When I bought, there were no 400's to be had and few 500's at the dealers where I was willing to do business. Will try to attach pic from new and clean.

image-2940484166.jpg

/ My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO #23  
I found a used (73 hours) 2011 400 HO this past spring and purchased it for my maintenance work on a few hundred acres of land and many summer camps. It has been a great tool. It has close to 400 hours on it now (in eight months) and it has been flawless. It hauls firewood, tools, gravel, etc. and it is fun to drive! My only complaint is the exhaust noise. Has anyone tried the Silencer or similar aftermarket exhaust muffler?

/ My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO #24  
Does anyone have any experience with the Polaris 500 running in the snow? I just picked up a used 2011 with factory tires on it and to me it does not want to go in the snow too well. I only have put several miles on it in about 6 inches of snow and it seems to have a tendency to want to fish tail, I know the tires are not the ideal snow tire.

ernemats said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Polaris 500 running in the snow? I just picked up a used 2011 with factory tires on it and to me it does not want to go in the snow too well. I only have put several miles on it in about 6 inches of snow and it seems to have a tendency to want to fish tail, I know the tires are not the ideal snow tire.

Just got mine out in the snow. I was actually very impressed with it's performance. I had to work hard to break loose the tires.

Are you running in 4wd or with diff locked?

/ My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO #26  
I was running in 4 wd.

/ My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO #27  
Mine has been very impressive in the snow. Now when I broke through the ice on my pond that was a different story. Luckily I was in the shallow end. Note to everyone with one of these, that little cross bar on the front near the winch mounting area is not a suitable tow point even though it looks like the perfect spot to hook a tow strap. It flexes and has no support behind it.

/ My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO #28  
I talked to the dealer and he suggested I check my tire pressure, he said 5 or 6 pound air pressure for in the snow. I have the manual suggested pressure 10 to 12 pounds

/ My new Polaris Ranger 400 HO #29  
The tires are not the bes, they are bias ply. . I have to watch it, or mine will fish tail. Going to get a set of radial reptiles eventually.

Check to see where you rear shocks are set? set them to the softest setting, and see how it goes.

The rangers run in 2wd unless 4wd is needed (when in 4wd). So the delay of 2wd to 4wd transition maybe the cause of some of the loose handling.