My Property, Looking for info and comments.

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #51  
well water, it all depends on the well. someone a mile down the road could have very bad well water. while another mile down road might have good water, and next mile down road might have bad water.

i'am not saying 50% doing. i am just saying it depends on the well.

the shallower the well is. meaning say 50 to 100 feet deep, is more likely to have problems with surface water contamination. the deeper the well, less chance of surface water contamination.

if i had a choice i would most likely go with a well. so i don't have to pay monthly bill for water. some folks need to place a water softener on there well water. some put a whole house doing. and some just do for the kitchen sink and refrigerator (so ice and if fridge gives cold water) and leave showers, toilets, garden hose hook ups to plain old well water. and perhaps on a automatic dishwasher might get a water softener.

other folks in bad situations, go with different types of filters. to remove containments. some times it is costly some times it is not.

when a well is initially done. you will and should pay for getting the water tested, over the first every so months for a couple years. so you know how the well behaves. most places i have read, note you should have well tested yearly. to make sure nothing has changed in the well. some do, and for me, i don't. well i take that back. when i noticed a slight different taste i did a well test. ((a rock gave way at the top and allowed rain run off water to go into the well :( )) ((it is a old hand dug well brick line, nothing like the new wells that get put in))

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #52  
With your own well, you too can be a water district! :laughing::laughing: But you can pump a lot of water for very little electricity. I have a very shallow well, 29'11" but it's clean water excepting for the iron. Almost Vin Rose Blanc in a white bucket:laughing:. So I get to pull my pump when the line splits (once), when the foot valve stops holding the water from flowing back into the well after building up pressure(once), when the pump goes out (2 in 23yrs), or the air tank bladder goes bad. All said and done it still worth it no chemical taste like some city water.

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #53  
i had a choice between a well or association water when we built. our accessible water is about 700 feet down (other water between surface and 700' is owned thru farmers water rights). the cost of a 6" well with large holding tank, a deep water pump and a holding tank pump, complete was about $30,000 - 14 years ago.....

cost us nothing to hook into a 2" water meter with the association. we bay a minimum of $35/mo for water....up to $65 in the summer months.

it would have taken 60 years for my own well to pay off. I could have gone for a smaller well, but i didnt even bother getting a price.

also the idea of free water from a well isn't correct in some places. first the power to operate the pump on deeper wells. Second is alot of jurisdictions are making even private well holders place meters on their wells and are charging or regulating water use. All wells in Idaho have to be registered and monitoring is going into effect.

it all boils down to where you live and how scarce water is/has/is pretending to become.

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #54  
it all boils down to where you live and how scarce water is/has/is pretending to become.

Exactly. Wells are very common outside the cities here, and generally no trouble. There have been some contamination issues with some old landfills in a few spots, and there is an area in So. Minn that has contamination issues with Farm runoff due to an unusual aquifer condition, but for the most part, around here, you can count on a good well at not-crazy depths. The aquifers appears to be pretty uniform in an area if the neighbors are good, you should be too.

Again - all comes down to where you are...yet again... Notice a theme here? :)

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #55  
Again - all comes down to where you are...yet again... Notice a theme here? :)[/QUOTE]

Mt. Juliet, TN was mentioned in his very first post on this thread...
David from jax

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #56  
Uh yeah...that's my point. I don't know bupkiss about the local conditions in Mt Juliet TN, and I doubt anyone else on here does either. So asking those type of questions won't get you very far, other than some broad generalities and things to watch for (which is helpful, of course). A well could be an excellent option for the OP, or it could be the most expensive boondoggle he's ever gotten involved in. None of us will know, as the only answer is to track that stuff down locally. Site conditions are the "most local" of any issues when it comes to construction.

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #57  
Good video, but that culvert ain't doin' squat for you

It's not big enough in diameter either. I think the water flow in a very heavy rainstorm could easily exceed the flow of that pipe. There are formulas for calculating the size of pipe you would need for a heavy water flow, but I don't know where you would find them. Maybe a bridge building site??

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments.
Uh yeah...that's my point. I don't know bupkiss about the local conditions in Mt Juliet TN, and I doubt anyone else on here does either. So asking those type of questions won't get you very far, other than some broad generalities and things to watch for (which is helpful, of course). A well could be an excellent option for the OP, or it could be the most expensive boondoggle he's ever gotten involved in. None of us will know, as the only answer is to track that stuff down locally. Site conditions are the "most local" of any issues when it comes to construction.

I appreciate your response and I do get it. I knew coming into posting this thread that my costs will not be the same as someone in Kansas, for example. I am looking for some good general knowledge and so far have received a lot. TractorByNet is great. I will keep posting throughout my journey (and it will be a long one) unless there is a reason I shouldn't.

Thanks!

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #59  
Cool. Hope I didn't come off like a putz there...wasn't my intention. :) Just trying to set expectations reasonably. You've gotten some good info here already. The more you ask, the more you learn... And make use of the local building inspector/dept. Many of them are very helpful and can be a great asset if approached nicely.

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #60  
Cool. Hope I didn't come off like a putz there...wasn't my intention. :) Just trying to set expectations reasonably. You've gotten some good info here already. The more you ask, the more you learn... And make use of the local building inspector/dept. Many of them are very helpful and can be a great asset if approached nicely.

I find a non-adversarliy approach generally works best... I say generally because one inspector was so incompetent I called his Boss... the guy didn't last the week.

Generally, if you start out saying you live here and want the work done right... everything will fall into place. The inspector can be very helpful and even make suggestions on the options available.