My Property, Looking for info and comments.

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments.
I find a non-adversarliy approach generally works best... I say generally because one inspector was so incompetent I called his Boss... the guy didn't last the week.

Generally, if you start out saying you live here and want the work done right... everything will fall into place. The inspector can be very helpful and even make suggestions on the options available.

I have been a bit leery about getting the inspectors involved too much. Maybe I shouldn't be. Thanks. And thanks to you dstig1.

Nick

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #62  
What are the regulations for building permits etc?
I would imagine that you will need a permit to build
anything, especially with plumbing/electric. This is
going to result in inspections, along the way, before
you can get a CO. I would think the local gov office
would need to see plans, and approve them before you
can start any construction? This would mean water/sewer/
elect/heat etc all need to be up to local codes for residency
in the building.

I know here in NY most locales won't allow a pole type building,
or whatever, on a vacant property. (they used to) If it's a garage,
then they want the house up first.

Keep in mind if they have regulations and you play dumb and
don't follow them, there have been instances where buildings have
been ordered torn down after completion. Again, I don't know
your local regs.

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #63  
I won't offer you advice on how to run the water or sewer or culvert etc. My advice, since you mentioned a wood burner, and that you are planning on living on the property until your house is built, is to plan to remove those tress in the area first. Cut them as soon as you have an idea, quarter them and stack em for firewood. It takes time for the trees to dry enough to burn well. I would also tell you that wherever you plan to build a house and polebuilding, go ahead and remove all that topsoil and pile it up away from the area. If your house and pole building are goin to be near each other, I would just remove all that topsoil as soon as possible (or close to the beginning of construction) It will break down nice after a year or two. Don't worry if you see weed trees growing out of the top of it. pull the weeds and toss the soil around a bit in the pile. Once any work starts, that topsoil will get ruined or torn up and displaced at least 75 feet around any decent sized project. I would also advise you, since you are on a budget, to start stockpiling doors, windows, toilets, sinks, etc that you find on sale/clearance/craigslist/contractor remodels/ebay. I did this and saved a boatload of money on my addition. Think about buying other things now to spread your costs out. You wil be surprised how much you will spend on something as small as receptacles and light switches and their respective plates. I have a double bowl insulated brushed nickel undermount kitchen sink in my house that came off craigslist that I got for about half the price (it was new in the box). I had to let it sit for a year until it was used. The seller bought it and then changed their mind about their decor. Copper is up right now, so if you can, wait for wiring prices to drop and buy it then. Same thing with PVC pipe, it tends to fluctuate with oil prices. I know this because the pipes I bought (didn't plan ahead) were a fraction of the price a year later. Think frugal, not cheap. Cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. All my windows and doors were new, but I didn't pay new prices. It will take time, but work within your future houseplan.

If you are going to do business with a big box store, talk to a manager first. Many times they will cut you deals if you buy everything from them. I saved my buddy about 12% by talking to a big box store manager for him. they want your business.

My last piece of advice is not to buy plumbing fixtures at the local box store, they tend to sell inferior pieces at just about the same price you can get a good one at a plumbing supply place (and with much better valves). Weigh carefully the advantages of PEX vs. copper and make a decision before you begin.

good luck, you are travelling down a bumpy road that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Thanks for the advice. I will peel the topsoil off as soon as I determine the exact spot. I have already started stacking good wood that I cut up.

I broke down and bought a generator Saturday and we built the forms for the concrete headwall yesterday. Just have to get some concrete in them now. The main thing I am worried about is the concrete truck getting stuck in the wet weather spring area of my driveway :mad:. I have a 4x4 but nothing big enough to pull one of those beasts. I am just hoping it comes out on a day when it has been dry for a little bit.

Nick

An update, I have bought the lumber for the garage and applied for the permit. Working on getting the rest of the materials now.

And a heads up for anybody looking for vinyl siding in my area. Make sure to stay away from Garland Wholesale. They lured me in on promises of a good deal on vinyl siding. I rearranged everything so I could meet them at their warehouse when they would be there. Had to get a trailer and take off of work. Once I got there and wanted to buy, they suddenly did not have enough of it. But (being generous :laughing:) they offered to sell me some at a higher price!

I am learning as much as I can about siding and all of the components now. Wish me luck!

By the way, lookouts for a building are the short 2x4's that support the overhangs, right?

Nick

/ My Property, Looking for info and comments. #66  
By the way, lookouts for a building are the short 2x4's that support the overhangs, right?

Nick
The things that support the roof overhangs at the rake, yes.

Another question. We are getting dangerously close to starting construction of our pole barn.

What are your suggestions for the headers? On the material list, it has a short description. It has 3 different lengths of 2x12's for triple header/rake.

Thanks,
Nick