My PT-422 mods

/ My PT-422 mods
I'm considering an improved tilt seat for my retrofit PT2445 slope mower. Any regrets on the one you chose after using it?
Actually yes... I've since reverted back to the stock seat and removed the TSC seat from my PT although it did help absorb the bumps. When I first built my home a few years back, there was no grass and my clay soil hardens like a rock. So as I drove around and did work my kidneys took a good pounding. The springer seat helped a ton with that. Unfortunately, it sits you up quite a bit higher such that my wife and son couldn't drive the tractor comfortably. The other issue with the TSC model's design is that it tilted slightly side to side, making it uncomfortable to drive across hills and when using the mini hoe on sloped areas. There were a few other minor annoyances too like it wouldn't stay put in the forward position when opening the engine compartment.

I think a lower profile seat that is more stable but still takes some of the impact out of driving over rough terrain would be a better choice. The TSC served it's purpose and now that my property is coming along it isn't quite as rough to drive on so the stock seat is fine.

Good luck!

BTW I've installed a simple fuel shutoff valve based on the advice found on this forum. I will try to take a few pics and post here when I can.

/ My PT-422 mods
Per the suggests of forum members, added a fuel shutoff valve for when the tractor sits for extended periods of time. Fashioned a simple bracket under the driver side of the fuel tank so it would be easily accessible and not resting against anything hot.

petcock.jpg

/ My PT-422 mods #14  
Per the suggests of forum members, added a fuel shutoff valve for when the tractor sits for extended periods of time. Fashioned a simple bracket under the driver side of the fuel tank so it would be easily accessible and not resting against anything hot.

Nice work on the engine transplant!

Would a Fuel Shutoff valve still be recommended for a new PT 425? I vaguely remember the reason was gas continuing to flow into the carb even after key turns off the tractor ???? Just wondering if its still a problem with the newer engines. I have never smelled gas after parking the PT in the garage for several days.

Patrick

/ My PT-422 mods #15  
Would a Fuel Shutoff valve still be recommended for a new PT 425?

I had the aforementioned leak happen 1x to my 425. Added a $5 shut off valve and now no worries.
I sometimes forget to shut it off. Even "funnier" is I forget to open it. The 425 will run about 10 sec before sputtering out. It surprises me every time.

The 1x it happened, gas flowed into the carb it also flooded one of the cylinders. I had to pull a plugs and turn it over a few times to void the gas before reinserting plugs. Warning! Gas comes out of the plug whole at warp speed/spray! Put a few shop towels over it to "catch" the discharge.

/ My PT-422 mods
Clumber, I've used the shutoff valve if the tractor sat for relatively extended period of time. An easy example is over winter or maybe if I knew I wasn't going to use it for a week or so. During the summer months I rarely turned it off. Good luck!

/ My PT-422 mods
As a temporary fix to the exhaust kicking up dust and burner grass when stopped, I added a simple copper elbow a few years back. Sometime later I swapped out the exhaust for a modified Robin model, but it wasn't sturdy enough to be mounted outside the tub (it was designed to be bolted directly to the side of the engine). I eventually went back to the PT OEM exhaust, but decided to swap out the copper elbow for a more permanent solution. What I did was take a short piece of angle iron, then cut bend and weld it up to the tip of the muffler. It looks stock and changes the direction of the gas flow enough to avoid my original problems. I finally got around to posting a picture in this thread.

PT_exhaust.jpg