Oil & Fuel My Used Oil Report

/ My Used Oil Report #1  

Mahana79

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
interesting report on my first oil change. i know i did it past the 50 hr mark but i think it was still relatively low hrs at 110. What are yalls thoughts??

Attachments

• D11158.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 807
   / My Used Oil Report #2  
Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

:tiphat:

/ My Used Oil Report
just looked up oil change intervals at Kubota and they call for every 200 hrs afer the first change at 50 hrs. i know i went long on the first change but Blackstone is suggesting a change in 75 hrs to reevaluate. instead of the OEM 200 hr interval. that seems like a big difference to me. any thoughts??

/ My Used Oil Report #4  
The oil change interval on my L3130 is 50 hours. As the web site says, their table is generic and you need to consult with the directions that come with your model.

/ My Used Oil Report #5  
Mahana79 said:
interesting report on my first oil change. i know i did it past the 50 hr mark but i think it was still relatively low hrs at 110. What are yalls thoughts??
The majority of those "break in contaminates" occurred within the first few hours of use over a full temperature range (cold - hot) and loading (light - heavy).

When I rebuild engines I like to change the oil after only 5-10 hours and again at 20 hrs to get these "break in contaminates" out of of the engine before they get imbedded into the soft bearing surfaces, produce minute scratches on wear surfaces, get lodged into nooks and crannies for later dispersal, etc. This very early oil change regime keeps the engine "tighter" over its full life. But it's biggest value shows up much later, by extending the engine's useful life.

Of course Kubota's 50 hr service isn't just for the engine. Each component of the vehicle would require a different service timing to optimize this effect. This would be impractical to require of consumers. So Kubota picked an average time for all the components. It pays to use all of your tractor's components fairly evenly during the 1st 50 hrs and get that junk out of the systems ASAP :)

In short:
Every hour you stretch the 1st service, reduces your tractor's life a little more than the very same usage, if you had done the 50 hour service on time.

OTOH I wouldn't be too worried and would follow the advice to do your next service early.

Talon Dancer

/ My Used Oil Report #6  
I changed mine after 23 hrs. It was very dark. Mine takes 3 qts. Very cheap insurance. Then at 90 hrs. I changed again. My oil seems to get black fast an it seems strage to not change it when it looks like that.

/ My Used Oil Report #7  
ihookem said:
I changed mine after 23 hrs. It was very dark. Mine takes 3 qts. Very cheap insurance. Then at 90 hrs. I changed again. My oil seems to get black fast an it seems strage to not change it when it looks like that.

My oil is still straw colored (like new) after 75 hours...but I've seen a lot of diesels looking black within a few hours of an oil change.
Nothing to worry about, IMHO.
BTW, you should have waited until after your manual call out for break in hours. Too late now, of course, but if you experience some oil usage, that may have been the cause.

/ My Used Oil Report #8  
RoyJackson said:
...BTW, you should have waited until after your manual call out for break in hours. Too late now, of course, but if you experience some oil usage, that may have been the cause.
I don't understand your comment. Could you please explain what you mean?

Are you saying that changing your oil more often than recommended can cause increased oil usage?

TIA - Talon Dancer

Last edited:
   / My Used Oil Report #9  
Not trying to start anything but if the oil is still straw colored after 75 hours then either the oil isn't doing its job keeping the contaminents in suspension, there is a bypass high efficency filter added to the system or Roy's eyes are bad:rolleyes: Mine was black after 10 hours, that is in the drain pan, it still looked straw colored on the dipstick of course being a thin film.

Don't worry about early oil changes when new, I've done that on every motor I've ever owned and consider it very inexpensive insurance, it will not hurt your ring break-in. Some debate the use of synthetics too early can harm ring break-in, I'm not so sure since many high end cars come from the factory with synthetic in them from the assembly line. However using regular oil in an early change is definitely not a problem. I was somewhat amazed at the Kub diesel though, it had way less "glitter" in the oil than I normally see on new engines...either really superb machining or a very good filter:D

/ My Used Oil Report #10  
No surprises in that oil analysis, first oil change interval was too long. I did not bother with an analysis for my 50 hour or the 100 hour change but I will send in a sample at 200 hours.

Check your owners manual maintenance interval, my L2800/3400 list oil and filter change at 50 hours and then 100 hours, then every 100 hours after that. The kubota website is a general guideline, I would follow the owners manual.

My first oil did not turn dark on the dipstick untill I had 30 some hours on it. The last oil change (100 hours) is getting dark after 20 hours but not black yet.