Buying Advice Need a simple run-down on HST, Shuttle vs. Gear

/ Need a simple run-down on HST, Shuttle vs. Gear #11  
I have one of each and the HST is much quicker and easier to use for FEL work when a lot of forward/ reverse activity is required. When using the gear drive shuttle shift(not power shuttle where you don't have to clutch) it will tire the left leg out with all the clutching but power wise they do have a bit more power. This can be offset by just getting a size larger tractor which in most cases can be had easily with only a grand more in cost if the next size up is still in the same frame size. Most tractor brands will have at least 3 different HP tractors in the same frame size and just tweaking the engine a bit to get more HP. I have found that for the most part, all CUT tractors run out of traction prior to running out of power. Extra power is only good for doing heavy PTO work on most models.

It is hard if not impossible to find a HST tractor in models above about 60 HP but you can find power shuttle models that can be almost as easy to operate as HST. I like both HST and geared, depending on what I am doing. Mowing or using a disk, I prefer gear. I wouldn't have anything other than HST on my TLB as I can set at the hoe and by using a rod, push on the HST pedal to move the tractor forward or back as needed to reposition the back hoe. This might be a P.I.T.A. with a gear having to turn the seat around, put in gear, move a bit and then reverse all the order to get back to work. Sure, sometimes you can just use the hoe to reposition, but not always.

/ Need a simple run-down on HST, Shuttle vs. Gear #12  
yeah, I forgot to mention with the HST, if you don't press either forward or reverse pedals, it just stops.. and a right fast too!:shocked:

/ Need a simple run-down on HST, Shuttle vs. Gear #13  
Hydrostat all the way . They do not eat power if used correctly .

Huh? :confused:

If that were true, they wouldn't publish different PTO horsepower for Gear and HST models. The HST transmission uses power requires power just to work.

/ Need a simple run-down on HST, Shuttle vs. Gear #14  
This is an excerpt from the tractor buying guide I'm putting together...it's not complete, but the big points are covered:

There are two main types of transmissions; gear and hydrostatic (hydrostat, or HST), with a number of sub-types to the gear line that can cause some confusion. There are few topics that cause more debate on internet forums than the choice of gear or HST, but the good thing is that they all have their place, and having more choices is better! The simplest transmission is a standard gear transmission. They can have as few as three gear ratios, or upwards of 20 on bigger machines. They can have one shift lever, or a shift lever, and a range selector (usually a slightly smaller lever). If the tractor has multiple ranges, it expands the number of available ratios. In other words, if you have a 4-speed transmission with three ranges, you have twelve different gear ratios you can select. This helps you pick a gear that will give you the correct ground speed for the conditions, while turning the engine an appropriate speed. Within the gear transmission category there are a number of sub-types. The oldest, simplest kind is a non-synchronized transmission that requires the tractor to be stopped, and the clutch engaged to change gears, and directions. A step up is a synchronized transmission that allows you to change forward gears while the tractor is moving, but you still need to engage the clutch to change gears. Another type of gear transmission is called a "shuttle shift", which can be either non-synchronized, or synchronized. With a shuttle shift, you can change from forward, to reverse, by flipping a lever on the steering column. Some require that you engage the clutch before flipping the lever, and others do not. If it is a non-synchronized version, you have to stop the tractor, and engage the clutch to change gears. If it is a synchronized version, you can change gears while the tractor is still moving. If a shuttle shift transmission has eight gear ratios, you essentially have eight forward and reverse speeds. The final transmission type is HST. An HST transmission acts much like the automatic transmission in passenger cars, at least from the operator's perspective. They usually have either a pivoting pedal that combines both forward, and rearward functions, or two separate pedals close to one another, with one for forward, and the other for reverse. Most HST systems have two or three ranges, and within each range, ground speed is infinitely variable based upon throttle setting, and pedal position. One drawback to some of the smallest SCUTs is that they sometimes only offer a two-range HST that isn't as flexible as a three-range system. In essence, you pick a range, set the engine speed, and then vary the pedal position to adjust ground speed. There is no clutch to push, and you can change directions simply by switching from one pedal to the other. One nice feature of HST transmissions is that on relatively flat ground, the tractor will stop in a very short distance by simply taking your foot off the pedal. One drawback to HST transmissions is that they take more power from the engine to operate than gear transmissions. This is why you will usually see different PTO horsepower figures listed for gear and HST transmissions, with the lower figures being for HST.

/ Need a simple run-down on HST, Shuttle vs. Gear #15  
i've lost count. I think I still have my asbestos undies around somewhere though..