Need advice for truck anti-theft device

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device
I had the Ravelco plug installed today. The installer came to my house and it took him about 1.5 hours. He installed it just to the left of the steering column. I didn't hover over the guy, but I watched him to enough to feel like it's a competent and professional installation. Quality electrical connections etc.

For those not familiar with the Ravelco system. They install a multipin female receptacle in your vehicle. You have a corresponding male plug that clips to your key chain. It's just a fancy kill switch that prevents the vehicle from starting. All the other features of the vehicle work if the plug is removed (except for remote start, obviously).
You remove the male plug whenever you want that added level of security.

Cost was $650 installed. They install them on all sorts of vehicles and equipment.

Ravelco plug.jpg

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #52  
Get an On-Star subscription. They can tell the vehicle is in storage and the door just opened. They can tell that it's moving, they can shut off the engine, and they call the police with the position of it. They can even hear what's going on inside. We used it in GM test vehicle parking lots to locate a vehicle anywhere on the grounds.

My Tahoe was stolen a few years ago and the theft ring from Flint took it and crashed into the back of a gravel truck. The truck was auctioned off by a company to a company which buys trucks for use overseas. So, it's been traced to it's current location in Vinnytsia, Ukraine as an ammunition carrier and ambulance. I believe I've seen it in a YouTube video, because I saw a dent in the tailgate that I put in it while backing up a trailer with a windmill tower stub on it.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #53  
All the newer vehicles have a single fuse that powers the "ignition"
That fuse is typically low amps, like 10 amps.. It is easy to add a switch

This add a fuse will allow you to connect a remote switch,,

flip the switch, nothing works,, the vehicle acts like it is dead.

I ordered those add-a-fuse things for another application, but, since they sent several, I was thinking about making a remote disable out of the extras.

Under $15 for everything that you need,, cheaper than a months worth of dog food!! LOL!!

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device
Get an On-Star subscription. They can tell the vehicle is in storage and the door just opened. They can tell that it's moving, they can shut off the engine, and they call the police with the position of it. They can even hear what's going on inside. We used it in GM test vehicle parking lots to locate a vehicle anywhere on the grounds.

My Tahoe was stolen a few years ago and the theft ring from Flint took it and crashed into the back of a gravel truck. The truck was auctioned off by a company to a company which buys trucks for use overseas. So, it's been traced to it's current location in Vinnytsia, Ukraine as an ammunition carrier and ambulance. I believe I've seen it in a YouTube video, because I saw a dent in the tailgate that I put in it while backing up a trailer with a windmill tower stub on it.
I think the Ford system on my truck is similar to the GM On-star. I have an App on my phone that will tell me where the truck is parked, how many miles until empty, oil status etc. I can start/stop the truck from my phone and I'll get an alert if the alarm goes off. I can set up a service appointments, see past service etc.

The problem ,I think, is all of that is dependent on the truck battery and YouTube videos show you how to defeat/disable it in 30 seconds. The guy that was installing the Ravelco said there's even some gizmo's you can buy that will scan for a GPS device/signal and there are other devices that create a jamming "bubble" around a stolen vehicle. He might be full of BS, because he's trying to be the cheerleader for the Ravelco system.

However, the aftermarket GPS system I found for $119 for 2 years and $20/year thereafter is powered from the vehicle battery and then will alarm when it loses power and goes to its own backup battery (which last a couple days). Seems like a pretty good system if you keep it hidden well and seems to be cheap enough.

I have a call with my insurance Monday to see if they offer discounts for the Ravelco immobilizer and/or an aftermarket GPS.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #55  
Years ago I had a truck driver friend that would let the air out of a couple of tires on his truck if he was going to be gone for a week or two. He figured most thieves are too lazy or in too much of a hurry to bother with airing up or changing tires.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #56  
Years ago I had a truck driver friend that would let the air out of a couple of tires on his truck if he was going to be gone for a week or two. He figured most thieves are too lazy or in too much of a hurry to bother with airing up or changing tires.
Great idea unless the thief breaks into the truck and steals the compressor or air tank used to refill the tires. :)

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #57  
Great idea unless the thief breaks into the truck and steals the compressor or air tank used to refill the tires. :)
Yes but the time needed to air up the tires is a big deterrent so they will target the next one down the street instead

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #58  
Yes but the time needed to air up the tires is a big deterrent so they will target the next one down the street instead
My point was, how is the owner going to refill the tires if the thief breaks into the truck and steals his air tank or compressor.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #59  
My point was, how is the owner going to refill the tires if the thief breaks into the truck and steals his air tank or compressor.
Who is the say even it’s using an onboard air compressor? Maybe it’s parked next to a building that’s got a compressor?!?!?

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #60  
A much older friend many years ago said "the only thing you can buy for security is time".