Need advice for truck anti-theft device

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #61  
My point was, how is the owner going to refill the tires if the thief breaks into the truck and steals his air tank or compressor.
Maybe he drove a truck with air brakes which comes with its own compressor and tanks.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #62  
My point was, how is the owner going to refill the tires if the thief breaks into the truck and steals his air tank or compressor.
IMO that's a better problem to have than finding the truck and the compressor both missing...

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #63  
Great idea unless the thief breaks into the truck and steals the compressor or air tank used to refill the tires. :)
He used the air from his semi tractor to reinflate the tires.
When I drove, I carried some exra air hose and an impact if I had a flat and had to change it on the road.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #64  
If you find one that locks all doors, sets itself on fire and waits ten minutes to call 911 then I want one for myself.
I have heard of alarms that lock all the brakes. They would be expensive but would stop them from putting on a flat bed. If they clowns get too frustrated they will just destroy your vehicle before they leave. I always through the best alarm was one that made sure the perps were caught. You will lose your deduct but that is a price you have to pay sometimes.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #65  
I had the Ravelco plug installed today. The installer came to my house and it took him about 1.5 hours. He installed it just to the left of the steering column. I didn't hover over the guy, but I watched him to enough to feel like it's a competent and professional installation. Quality electrical connections etc.

For those not familiar with the Ravelco system. They install a multipin female receptacle in your vehicle. You have a corresponding male plug that clips to your key chain. It's just a fancy kill switch that prevents the vehicle from starting. All the other features of the vehicle work if the plug is removed (except for remote start, obviously).
You remove the male plug whenever you want that added level of security.

Cost was $650 installed. They install them on all sorts of vehicles and equipment.

View attachment 835886

My old Ford F150 came with a much simpler device. Basically a little circuit board that jumps a half dozen wires together. It is a big pain because it is mounted near where one can bump it with one's leg, it falls out then the pickup doesn't start.

I haven't even intentionally removed it, but I don't think I use the pickup a high theft area. I haven't tried to trace the wires, but it is quite a simple device.

I took it in to get a front end alignment today. Then at the end of the appointment, I saw it come down off the lift and head off down the road. In had to laugh to myself a bit. There was nothing to worry about.

I'm surprised with the new vehicles that thieves keep finding better ways to bypass the anti-theft devices. At least since 1999 Ford was chipping their keys, so there was both a mechanical and an electronic aspect of the ignition.

If I could get the hood open, I could probably hotwire a 1960's or 1970's vehicle with very little sophistication, but that just isn't the case today.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #66  
If you are paranoid about it, try greasing the underside of the door handles. What we used to do. That and a good insurance policy.

Glad I don't live in urban-suburban America. Not theft out this way, never has been either. Out here you'd get shot.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #67  
If you are paranoid about it, try greasing the underside of the door handles. What we used to do. That and a good insurance policy.

Glad I don't live in urban-suburban America. Not theft out this way, never has been either. Out here you'd get shot.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #68  
I bought some Air Tags. They are cheap and easy to use, but not very reliable. You have to have an Apple Phone near it to pick it up. I have one in my Mom's purse, and another in my Dad's wallet before he passed away. It shows where they where when they where close to somebody with an Apple device, but sometimes, it's half an hour ago or longer. They are better then nothing, but not something I'd recommend if you really want to find something.

I never got around to deciding on what to buy, and sort of put it off.

A friend who hunts hogs on my land and other properties ran into some people sneaking around one of the other properties he hunts in the Tyler area. He called the Game Warden because it was night time and they where in the woods with flashlights on private property. He hunts hogs with a thermal scope. The Game Warden told him that people are living the woods that are coming across the border. Usually they have a friend or family member that lives there and they set up camp behind them, but they also spread out into neighboring properties if they can't be seen. He has no idea how many have moved here, but they are being blamed for an increase in theft and poaching in those areas. They don't have anything, and they do not obey any laws.

For years, I never locked my truck when I went into Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart. I would have a thousand dollars worth of tools in the back of my truck and never worry about it. Now those stores have put up metal wire panels that are locked to slow down the theft that has started happening all of a sudden. I'm locking my doors and putting my tools inside my truck, or leaving them at the job so there isn't anything of value in the bed of my truck when I'm at the store. All of a sudden, everything has changed here.

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #69  

Plenty of people get shot in Oakland and San Francisco so not so much a deterrent...

/ Need advice for truck anti-theft device #70  
I bought some Air Tags. They are cheap and easy to use, but not very reliable. You have to have an Apple Phone near it to pick it up. I have one in my Mom's purse, and another in my Dad's wallet before he passed away. It shows where they where when they where close to somebody with an Apple device, but sometimes, it's half an hour ago or longer. They are better then nothing, but not something I'd recommend if you really want to find something.

I never got around to deciding on what to buy, and sort of put it off.

A friend who hunts hogs on my land and other properties ran into some people sneaking around one of the other properties he hunts in the Tyler area. He called the Game Warden because it was night time and they where in the woods with flashlights on private property. He hunts hogs with a thermal scope. The Game Warden told him that people are living the woods that are coming across the border. Usually they have a friend or family member that lives there and they set up camp behind them, but they also spread out into neighboring properties if they can't be seen. He has no idea how many have moved here, but they are being blamed for an increase in theft and poaching in those areas. They don't have anything, and they do not obey any laws.

For years, I never locked my truck when I went into Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart. I would have a thousand dollars worth of tools in the back of my truck and never worry about it. Now those stores have put up metal wire panels that are locked to slow down the theft that has started happening all of a sudden. I'm locking my doors and putting my tools inside my truck, or leaving them at the job so there isn't anything of value in the bed of my truck when I'm at the store. All of a sudden, everything has changed here.
I don't think it's a sudden change but more of coming to a town near you.

Twenty or so years ago what I am now hearing spreading was already happening in California Metro areas...

Stores here are closing because of rampant theft... the observe and report private security can't go hands on and police are not the least bit interested if theft is under $950 because at most it's a citation similar to Jay Walking.

It hits home when laundry detergent is under lock and key because it walks out the door.

The Costco types have it a little better as controlled access is a barrier...

What was effective was 3 Strikes long incarceration but it was argued the annual 150k cost to taxpayers was too high.

So why does it cost 150k to incarcerate and if so we need to revisit work farms and such... to get the net cost lower...

Last edited: