Need advice, land clearing. Any video's?

/ Need advice, land clearing. Any video's? #21  
Here are a few more shots:View attachment 301492View attachment 301493 These small poplars I have to get ride of to make the most of the land for planting.

The field that is over grown mostly follows the power line, as you can see, I have some open areas, but not really good enough for planting.

I haven't seen anything in those pictures that makes me think you need a dozer. The brush I see there is shallow rooted stuff that you should be able to pop out with your box blade, brush hog and FEL. I say this because it is exactly how I removed brush on a recently acquired field that looked just like that. A chain will do wonders too. My advise would be to spend a weekend working on it with the tools you have. If you are happy with the progress from that weekend then just keep going. If not, then hire a dozer or find someone with a bigger tractor. You might just surprise yourself....

/ Need advice, land clearing. Any video's?
My plan to do that, try and work this land with the equipment that I have. I plan on taking photos like saltbranch did, so that I can have proof of it being done. 25 years ago I worked these same fields with my father, of course, it's been quite a while since they have seen any management, but I think there is hope.

I haven't seen anything in those pictures that makes me think you need a dozer. The brush I see there is shallow rooted stuff that you should be able to pop out with your box blade, brush hog and FEL. I say this because it is exactly how I removed brush on a recently acquired field that looked just like that. A chain will do wonders too. My advise would be to spend a weekend working on it with the tools you have. If you are happy with the progress from that weekend then just keep going. If not, then hire a dozer or find someone with a bigger tractor. You might just surprise yourself....

/ Need advice, land clearing. Any video's? #23  
I agree with several others. Seeing the pics, I'm thinking you have plenty of tractor already. A tooth bar or ratchet rake would help clearing up the roots, but your BB shanks can do that too or a drag harrow or something along those lines. I usually just tip my teeth down hard and drag backward. I've done a lot with my L3800 already and unless my eyeballing your pics to scale is way off, I'd think you will make easy work of it and enjoy the seat time while you're at it.

/ Need advice, land clearing. Any video's? #24  
wow, impressive work you did, that is what I needed. I see that you have a root rake on your tractor. What size is your tractor? It looks like 2 wheel drive. Thanks for sending those pics. I will look them over a few times.
Its a 54hp Case, 2wd, I use the disc for counter weight and it does good. I stay in low and take my time, I dont slam into anything. If it pushes over I go, if not I go around it and go to the next one. I have the 66" Ratchet Rake which is 5/8" thick. . The 1st 4 pics are of the same area from when I started. That area was so thick it was hard to walk through. I have cleared alot of fence lines and heavy brush and Mesquites with it. On the bigger trees upto 4-6" diameter I would guess, I push on the trunk about 6' high or so, if gives and starts to go I continued and alot of the time the root ball will roll up. then back up get behind the root ball and push on out. Some times the tree just breaks. One thing I have learned is if the tree is leaning, push from the side its leaning to, dont push the tree the direction it leans.
Here is a snap shot off google maps, red is what I have cleared so far and blue is what i am planning, plus you can see the roads that I have cut/made
ranch pic2.PNGranch pic.PNG

Last edited:
   / Need advice, land clearing. Any video's? #25  
I am kind of doing it for therapy, so I guess doing it makes it all the more important. But I hear what your saying.
I had a a very simliar situation a couple of years ago. I have been working on the project for a couple of years now but I love it. I could have hired a dozer and still could but I am not going to do it. I only work on it during the winter months and I am in no hurry. But time is the key, If you are really dead set on planting a garden soon then hire a dozer. It will take you 10 times longer than you think, if you really take your time. If you get in a rush you are probably going to tear something up or hurt yourself.
Attached is a picture of a section I cleared 2 years ago. IT was some thick , looked just like the area to the right and started where that first small pile is. I walked on recently and the stumble is really starting to rot pretty well now, still will be a while before I could plant anything. But that is okay, I actually think I am enjoying the clearing more than I would planting the garden.
burnpile.jpg

/ Need advice, land clearing. Any video's? #26  
I am going to rescind the dozer idea I put forward unless you plan to TILL and plant. I would just mow it down and throw some seed on it. In two years it will be planting ready.

Hey that looks like you made some nice pasture land there. I see your trees are larger than most of mine. I do have some areas lie that, but most of mine is overgrown fields that once actually we farmed. The therapy part of it for me is probably the most important.

I had a a very simliar situation a couple of years ago. I have been working on the project for a couple of years now but I love it. I could have hired a dozer and still could but I am not going to do it. I only work on it during the winter months and I am in no hurry. But time is the key, If you are really dead set on planting a garden soon then hire a dozer. It will take you 10 times longer than you think, if you really take your time. If you get in a rush you are probably going to tear something up or hurt yourself.
Attached is a picture of a section I cleared 2 years ago. IT was some thick , looked just like the area to the right and started where that first small pile is. I walked on recently and the stumble is really starting to rot pretty well now, still will be a while before I could plant anything. But that is okay, I actually think I am enjoying the clearing more than I would planting the garden.
View attachment 301741

Last edited:
I bought a nice tiller and plan on using it at least on the open areas. I remember plowing it with my father over 20 years ago, and as I can recall, the dirt was quite fertile. I do plan on mowing it before doing anything else.

I am going to rescind the dozer idea I put forward unless you plan to TILL and plant. I would just mow it down and throw some seed on it. In two years it will be planting ready.

/ Need advice, land clearing. Any video's? #29  
What about doing a controlled burn?

I was planning on doing that with the brush, I guess that would be an option if I had someone who had a done one before. I always worry about it getting out of control. But I have to check what the regs are.

What about doing a controlled burn?