Need advice on NH 1715 PTO Issue

/ Need advice on NH 1715 PTO Issue
JC - the diagram is particularly helpful. Thanks. Without a service manual I was guessing. After reading it things don't seem so tough. Certainly easier than auto's.

Local dealer has both the friction plate and the throwout bearing so I'll pick those up and get going.

Will the front and rear pieces of the tractor come apart easy once I remove the bolts connecting the BH from the engine or are there press fittings that will give me trouble? I plan on using jack stands under the rear and a rolling floor jack under the front end and pulling the front away. It appears I won't have to remove the bell housing from the rear part after the split. That should save time.

Thanks again.

/ Need advice on NH 1715 PTO Issue #22  
kgiovann,

JC is correct this is 99% likely NOT your ORC, but your main clutch. Believe it or not that is good news.

The ORC was only $185, but it took three solid 8 hour days to get to as that part of the tractor is NEVER taken apart and the bolts were all frozen solid. Clearly the previous owner never did anything on this part of the tractor. I almost had to cut the ROPS off.

I got the service manual for mine for $89 on Ebay. The guy was great and sent me a section or two via email that I needed while the whole thing was in route. I can't find it there now, but the company who was selling it on ebay was - NewOldManuals.com - Backhoe Service Manuals. I think if you email info@opex.com and ask for "Ford 1320, 1520, 1720 Tractor Service (Repair) Manual with the 1715 supplement" they will take care of you.

I would not waste money on the IT as it is not really sufficient for the 1715 at all.

Sorry I did not reply sooner. The ORC was so involved I decided to go ahead and tear the whole tractor apart and paint it.... I am only at the painting point now:)

Regards,

Audo

/ Need advice on NH 1715 PTO Issue #23  
JC - t

Will the front and rear pieces of the tractor come apart easy once I remove the bolts connecting the BH from the engine or are there press fittings that will give me trouble?

Thanks again.

KG,

I have not done a a tractor split yet. I have done several clutch replacements while a poor college kid on rear wheel drive and front wheel drive cars. If I had to pick changing a clutch between my Honda accord and my Ford 1700 nowadays, I'll grantee you I'd pick Ford 1700. I have looked at it very closely and I find it very doable, if I'm working on flat concrete floor as I can roll things front and back easy. Gantry hoist would be great to have, but having an engine hoist, few jack stand, bunch of assorted lumber pieces, floor jack, come along and nylon strapping would be all I think I would need to tackle the job. On mine it looks to me it would be best to keep my carry all in the back with enough of ballast weight, I would be bringing it to rest on lumber where the tractor is perfectly level without any load on 3 point lift system. That would keep the rear end steady and perfectly level. with the help of floor jack and wood blocking to keep the engin steady and for good measure I'd wrap a nylon sling on the engine to hold the engine and also for minor adjustment. I take all stuff off that connect two sides along with the attaching bolts. I try to pry two side to separate, and If I need, I might park something in front of tractor and use a block and tackle or come along for little bit more encouragement. I only move the front as much as I need to get the job done. I'd make sure I keep the front weight on the level so front would not do a back flip:eek: .Make sure to remove pressure plate bolts evenly and more importantly with the new pressure plate so you will not warp it.

As they say It is always easier said that done, but I'm convinced it is not a difficult job for the size of tractor we talk about.

As Audo said, it might be a blessing that it is clutch and not ORC. For me clutch is same as brakes or all other consumables, they don't last for ever and I'm okay to service it when I need, but I expect ORC to last for the life of the tractor.

Hey Audo... We'd like to see good pics...a pic is worth better than a 1000 words, and in my case keeping it to few word is exceedingly difficult.:eek::eek:

JC,

JC,