Need advice welding crack in tiller frame

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame
I wouldn't bet the farm that the bottom weld was forgotten! When fabing with square / round tube a lot of people will leave a spot for condensation to weep out. ;)

The weld on the side that cracked does not extend around the rounded portion of the tubing sides. It stops short on the flat and I think that vibration from not being securely welded added to the problem.

On the good side that did not crack, the weld on the sides extends around the rounded portion of the tubing. That side did not crack is welded better. The only difference I can see is the way it was welded so that what sounds the best.

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame #22  
Hard to tell, but as shallow as that vertical weld is. Makes me wonder if it wasn't run down hill. I always try to wrap the corners. I would have wrapped the corners, and as Gary said left just a small opening for a weep hole in the center.

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame #23  
On the subject of wrapping this could be a textbook example why you never allow a weld start to be in tension.

I would have wrapped the corners, and as Gary said left just a small opening for a weep hole in the center.

Is that what the other side looks like? If yes then that's probably the reason but at this point you should weld all across and drill a hole if you feel the need for a weep hole.

The crack has good access. I think you could vee out the crack for guaranteed full penetration, weld it up and grind it off, flapperwheel it to where even Steve would be impressed and it would look totally original. And never break again (once welded around the corners) You could weld it completely and drill your drain hole from the outside of the plate (on the burned spot) before repainting. That way you're certain the weld area is 100% (or more). Worth it to flip it over rather than chance an overhead weld.

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame #24  
Worth it to flip it over rather than chance an overhead weld.
You know there is a Navy shipyard right on the other side of the bay from me. I've done several construction projects in there. I've never seen them turn a battle ship or aircraft carrier over to make a weld on the bottom.:D

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame #25  
You know there is a Navy shipyard right on the other side of the bay from me. I've done several construction projects in there. I've never seen them turn a battle ship or aircraft carrier over to make a weld on the bottom.:D

Would be a sight to see though.
Imagine being inside when it was turning over.

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame #26  

wouldn't be fair to all the other welders who now have to weld overhead

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame #27  
That would be some welding positioner! You can't call yourself a welder until you've done a hundred hours "community service" welding 6010 overhead.

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame
For some reason, I am not able to post a picture yesterday or this morning. I thought this TBN problem was fixed but maybe it's just me.

I took a picture of the other side so just imagine the weld neatly wrapping around the sides and partly onto the bottom of the square sock. Looks solid to me and shows more weld than the other side. When I can post again I will post the photos. Sorry.

On welding the corners on the bottom I am going to flip it over. Good thing I don't run a shipbuilding shop :D but I'm not very good out of position.

Thank you all for helping.

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame #29  
The preference is to always weld "inposition". When dealing with something like that, yep, flip it over. Doing that makes you a smart welder in my book.

Gotta do a risk vs reward kind of thinking. Sometimes it is not feasible to weld in position. But when getting a part in position dont take much effort, you are foolish not to.

/ Need advice welding crack in tiller frame #30  
I have a lot more experience flipping things over than welding overhead. In fact whenever something flips over I'm half-thinking "Hey this might be a good time to go get the welder & take care of a few things." :D