Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #21  
   / Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #22  
I think we are up to X4... truck first.

Otherwise all you can do is push your debris from one place on your property to another.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #23  
I'd plan for something like a $15K truck and then look at 25hp SCUTs from LS or TYM (around $12K). That should allow you some room for a couple of implements, but would tap out a $30K budget.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #24  
Here's my thought's. If your only going to use a truck to clean up the place then don't spend big money on that. Another used truck if the one you have craps out is not very expensive. My son and I bought him a very adequate truck for $2000. He uses it to travel to work two hours away and other pickup chores. (!989 F-150). Pickup's are cheap to repair compared to tractors. Buy a good tractor. I prefer John Deere or Kubota. Yes they are more expensive but the dealers are in it for the long run and parts are available. Forget about the Gator. Your front end loader can do that job.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #25  
Dtrack,

Welcome . . but give posters a chance tonfind your thread before you give up on your ideas :)

There's much to be considered. you already have a car . . so a used pickup is a suggestion
. . and I'd say a $5,000 to $10,000 range full size truck . . because you have work to do with it. This isn't about a "cruising downtown" ride . . this is a truck you can work with and some day you can get a shiny version. But it also shouldnt be a rust bucket by any means.

Gator ???? What would be its purpose at this stage of the game ??

I'd consider a Massey GC1715 or a kubota bx2670 or b2601 tractors instead of the j.d.. why? The ones I mentioned offer front flow cooling of the engine compartment which I consider a superior design. And a similar equipped massey to a j.d. can be thousands less and massey is a top tier level manufacturer as is Kubota. Plus plastic hoods don't lend themselves for durability in what you will be doing in my opinion.

You'd benefit with these by having a fel and 4 wd and a MUST in your lot terrain is a differential lock . . . And you could get either a mid mount mower or 3 pt finish mower right away or when the need developes.

With a Massey you could choose from several finance plans as well as the 0%. Kubota offets the 0%. Both brands offer excellent insurance programs too at low rates andvwide coverage neefs. Both also offer an integrated backhoe model too . . But the prices rise considerably and I didn't see in your description anything that "required" a backhoe, but I did see where a 25 hp engine would be a benefit. Also both brands offer numerous mmm options each and are good on hills and slopes.

Why a new tractor and a used pickup and finance the tractor?

1. Truck bed will take a beating hauling and eventually building . . and you still have a car.

2. Trucks depreciate much faster than do tractors so buying a used tractor normally isnt that much less than new and a tractor can accomplish a great amount for your property. Also a new tractor carries a new warranty (in the Massey exsmple 5 years).

3. Why finance the tractor? Easy . . The financing options are easier to acquire because its manufacturer motivated and secured. And as in the case of Massey . . . you get several choices to best fit promos. AND by financing the tractor and maybe an implement or two . . And buying a used pickup You've not burned up all your budget. That's a good thing too because you never know what you may need as you are improving the property and you may need a couple things for the tractor or the used truck.

Maybe you'd devide you need a grapple for the dead trees etc..

Last edited:
   / Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #26  
Good advice, I think, about the used but serviceable truck... and I also think a CUT is a better choice than a SCUT, but that's another long series of opinions... but you will find a grapple and spaced rear tires to be very useful. Weight will be your friend, hence no SCUT.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #27  
I'd buy a cheap truck first. I bought a Chevy 1500 4x4 for $1500. I'd buy a used tractor next. If you search for the right deal you should be able to get both for your budget.

Rule the Gator out for the time being, i got by for 30+ years w/o one on my 35 acres, tractor, truck, trailer done it all. Now that the place is as i want it, the Gator comes in handy instead of the tractor for minimal task.
FEL is a must, a grapple would come in handy, paying someone to do the clean up would be cheaper, then all you would need is something to maintain it.
Now, if you really want to spend some money, i'll take all that back.:thumbsup:

Ronnie

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #28  
Hi All,

I just purchased a 3.5 acre residential plot near a downtown area in North Carolina. It has about 3/4 acre grassy area, 2 acres of hilly dense trees and brush with many large downed trees, the rest surrounds 300 feet of winding 6 foot deep narrow creek with some large heavy railroad ties that need to get pulled out, and a 100 x 50 foot pond with some broken deep wood posts for a deck and ragged edges, and many debris piles, including very large pallets of bricks in the back. This place needs to get cleaned up and I only have a regular car, not even a pickup. I have about a $20,000 - $30,000 vehicle budget for this summer and need to make the most out of it. Ideally I would like to have a Ford Ranger or F150 size pickup and JD Gator and JD 1025R but I'm trying to prioritize. Any suggestions how I might best manage this in the short term would be appreciated. I've spent a lot of time planning and its time to do something.

Dtrack

You want something for material handling. A small truck gets the same MPG more or less than a 1/2 and the half-ton can haul a trailer with whatever on it.

Consider a used dedicated mower. Zero turns without steering wheels are the nimblest, and fastest mowers on the planet--however, they do not hold to side hills well and tend to tear up grass on hills. Husky and Deere make 4wd garden tractor mowers. I suggest you try to get a used truck, and ask dealers to demo their mowers on your property or buy a used mower.

Consider an aluminum utility trailer for hauling junk off. Way easier for aging men with aging spines to drop the gate and the trailer could haul your mower or tractor around too.

Once everything is picked up, and your rough work is done, the value of a tractor will diminish unless you have ongoing snow removal. UTV wise, you want a turf mode to save your grass.

So, truck, trailer, mower, maybe a UTV.

Unless your piles of junk are epic. In that case, used tractor and sell it when you're done picking up all the refuse.