Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
In a week or so I'm moving to a house with a 200' driveway in Michigan's Keweenaw peninsula. The area averages 240 inches of snow per year. Yes, really. Most of that is fluffy powder and the actual accumulation on the ground is generally not more than 36" or so.

I don't have a tractor yet but I think I'm buying a Kioti CK3510H (HST), which has 28 pto hp and a decent sized loader. I have several years of snow experience downstate with slightly larger tractors (Kioti DK40SE and previously a Deere 5105) using a rear blade and the loader bucket. That was in an area that got only 50-75" of snow per year. I found the rear blade to be fine with the typical 2-4" quantity of heavy wet snow, but with larger quantities of dry snow it was much less effective, and often the banks would be blown back across the driveway within hours. So in a harsh winter I used the loader most of the time, both for lifting snow and just pushing it. This worked OK. A handicap was that my driveway was 12" higher than the surrounding land so I couldn't push far off the driveway without risking getting stuck, and I only had the loader bucket so I couldn't push snow to the side while driving forward.

Back to the current question. Most people in my area use snow blowers and that is certainly an option. I don't want to spend the cost of a front mounted blower so I'm looking at a Woods SB64s on the PTO. Driving backwards doesn't bother me. However, I'm wondering if I would be happier with either a front angle blade on the loader, or a snow pusher on the loader. My driveway has been cleared with a pickup and plow all winter and there is room to stack the snow. This has actually been a near-record snow winter in the area and the driveway hasn't seen a blower once, just a plow most of the time, and a front-end loader on a backhoe two times when the piles needed to be pushed farther back.

Cost is a minor factor, maintenance and reliability is a bigger factor. I have no experience with blowers and reading the sticky thread it sounds like they throw stuff that can be dangerous, and sometimes jam, which is dangerous if you don't clear it safely. Pushing snow at the front seems more reliable and less dangerous, but obviously also means creating snow piles. Since I will live at this property I can clear snow any time it reaches 12" (or less, even) so I shouldn't have to deal with the huge snow dumps that western NY sees, but I will be clearing snow 4-7 days a week through the winter. It sounds like blowers need to be cleaned after each use, while a blade can pretty much just sit there.

I kind of want to go the front plow/pusher route, but not if it's going to be ineffective or otherwise something I'll regret. What kind of guidance can you give me?

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #2  
I find front mounted implements much easier to deal with especially given snow in the quantities you will have. (In other words, given the amount of seat time required to push snow in your location). If your new place does not have terrain limitations on areas to move snow a blade will work fine for you IMHO.

You say now you have no issues turning around to watch a rear mounted blower but that is before you quadruple or more the amount of time you will need to do it in the U.P.

A good blade with a rolled moldboard should work very well for you.

As an aside, as a kid we had a cottage right in the lake at Whitefish bay in Paradise, so I know snow!

First time visitors always used to ask, "why is there a door up there on the 2nd floor? How come it does not have a deck or a rail""?

I never had the heart to tell them...

Good luck!

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #3  
Once you use a front mount blower, rear mounted ones are just so, well, backwards!

Around here, a blade is only good for so long. You quickly run our of space to push snow plus the roads drift in to the height of the windrows. It seems like you are fighting a loosing battle.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #4  
I don't know the Kioti model numbers --- is that a cab model? With over 200 inches of snow, don't even think of skipping the cab. Then I'd suggest getting a front plow and rear blower. With the plow you're up and going as long as the tractor starts, you can rely on the plow most of the time, which is fast and easy, and then use the snowblower (in reverse) to widen your edges or blow back piles when you need it. FEL plows work great for piling up snow and moving back windrows, but eventually you'll get a big dump when you already have banks, suddenly the blower is worth its weight in gold. (Not really, but almost...)

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #5  
Around here you would need explosives or an excavator to move the always frozen windrows. My front mount blades all bounce off these windrows like off a guardrail.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #6  
If I had to do it all over again, I would 'bite the bullet' and get a front mount blower and rear blade. AND do NOT forget the cab.

Oh, wait a minute....That is what I already have.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #7  
We reside in the Keweenaw and have for about 20 some years. Nice to have you heading up our way. When people keep there drives cleared via plows, they are at the mercy of volume. That is if they push it aside until available storage space is used up, then they hire a pay-loader to come in and move the piles back. Problem is if you get more snow before Joe pay-loader shows up, its pretty hard to get yourself out and you are at the mercy of his schedule and the next snow fall. The nice thing about a front blower as others have suggested, you can move it back much further than you can with a plow. Seems many people with a driveway have a plow on there truck AND a blower of sorts.

Hope that helps.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #8  
Get lots of snow up here and very cold tempuratures too. My Kubota L 3400 with FEL home made cab and rear mount Agro Trend blower suits me well. In regards to your statement about maintenance on a blower, my unit is parked outside (plugged in to block heater when required) and is greased every ten hours of use, power washed and bare spots painted every spring and bearings and chain checked before use every fall. Have replaced one bearing ($30 cdn, about 2 hours labour) and other than that no repairs in the past 13 years. Tractor loader has had two loader hydraulic hoses replaced and one PTO engagement cable. Very happy with the combo in this application. Don't think the brand matters (though I do like my Kubota's) but the preventative maintenance does

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #9  
Maybe the local residents know their snow and how to handle it. Follow their example.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #10  
That much snow requires a snow-blower for sure;the suggestion of a front plow and a rear blower sounds like a winner.I get by with just a front and rear blade but don't get anywhere that amount of snow.Cab tractor would be a given.