Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #21  
My Kubota loader weighs around 12-13K. Not sure what the Deere 6200 w 640 loader weighs. But both just bounce off the frozen banks like a drunk off a guardrail. A grader with a wing would probably do it.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #22  
North Country Redneck Snowblower - YouTube

I came across this only this morning. My hats off to this man. REAL equipment! Ugly as heck, no computers, plastic, decals or fine paint job.

I don't quite understand why he is only getting 25 hp at the blower pto.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #23  
We reside where Z is moving to. We do not go through very many thaw/freeze cycles and banks generally don't get that hard. We hardly ever receive warm, high moisture snows either.

Arly,,,, snow is my business,,,, A

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #24  
I'm looking at a Woods SB64S since that's what my dealer carries and Woods seems to generally have a great reputation. Any reasons for concern with that model?

The SB64S is a medium duty blower with a 64" working width. Woods equipment has always been a maker of quality equipment IMO. It should be a good match for a CK3510H. If you can swing it, get the optional cab and rear remotes.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #25  
North Country Redneck Snowblower - YouTube

I came across this only this morning. My hats off to this man. REAL equipment! Ugly as heck, no computers, plastic, decals or fine paint job.

I don't quite understand why he is only getting 25 hp at the blower pto.

Because he is converting rotational energy into hydraulic power, and hasn't sized it all very well.

At 2:40 in the video he gives the specs as: 22GPM @ 2200PSI, using the formula HP = PSI * GPM / 1714 we get ~28hp, minus losses for hoses, heat etc, he's probably right on the mony at 25hp:

2017-02-17 10_58_18-Horsepower Calculator - Metaris Hydraulics.jpg

He would have been better off to do a "power pac" or "motor on blower" style, and hook the detroit right up to the blower (but then a clutch system would need to be employed, personally I'd use a torque converter in the bellhousing hooked up to a sizeable PTO shaft and call it good):

73hp-3.jpg

Here's a handy link for anyone looking to do oil motor powered PTO applications: Horsepower Calculator - Metaris Hydraulics

Last edited:
   / Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #26  
As much as I admire what he did. I see that big detroit diesel going at a good RPM and yet little apparent HP at the blower.

I bought a self powered McKEE Blizzard Blower with 4 cylinder Wisconsin Motor. I don't like gassers so, I got a three cylinder 911 Deutz with Twin Disk Clutch. Not sure I will be able to lift the final contraption.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #27  
As much as I admire what he did. I see that big detroit diesel going at a good RPM and yet little apparent HP at the blower.

I bought a self powered McKEE Blizzard Blower with 4 cylinder Wisconsin Motor. I don't like gassers so, I got a three cylinder 911 Deutz with Twin Disk Clutch. Not sure I will be able to lift the final contraption.

Oh how I love the sound of an air cooled Deutz!

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #28  
Whatever the cost, you don't wanna be stuck taking a knife to a gunfight. Do as the locals do because they have already done the trial and error work so there is no use spending the time or money to reinvent the wheel.

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #29  
My in-laws driveway. Pushing the snow is not really an option
You can see the different layers of beach sand blown in with the snow. Also, this is a second /vacation home, they are here every weekend, but it gives a week of wind to fill the driveway tunnel.
IMG_20170218_114052044.jpg

/ Need guidance on tools for constant snow removal #30  
The bank on his road. With my wife and 6 year old for scale.
It is deceiving, because of wind the opposite side of the road the banks are half as tall.

IMG_20170218_114800751.jpg