Need help buying tractor for dad

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #11  
How much technology is your Dad comfortable with? If he does not trust a powershift,or powershuttle then they'd be a waste of $$$. With the CNH brands you have the widest choice of tractors to fit the hp range of 75-95 pto hp that you are looking at,depending on how much tech you need. Not overly impressed with the type of axle under the front of the Kubota when handling bales out in the field. Good ground clearance,and turning but.......

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #12  
McCormick CMAX 105 --base tractor with 1104c turbo Perkins, 268 cid,98 hp, 12f/12r trans. with mech. shuttle. Dual remotes. Cab, air seat,4wd, 540- 1000 rpm pto,loader, joystick,bucket & spear. Not for sure of price in red, but if you find a Landini 105 Powerfarm it will be less money, same tractor! If the dealer wants to sharpen his pencil should be around $42,500.00 -$44,000.00
for package.

J.M.H.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad
Thanks for all the advise so far. Question. What is the difference between a mechanical shuttle and a power shuttle? Is it important? Thanks.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #14  
nrrd said:
Thanks for all the advise so far. Question. What is the difference between a mechanical shuttle and a power shuttle? Is it important? Thanks.

Mechanical shuttle/dry clutch,must stop to change directions. Powershuttle/wet clutch,change directions under power. Nice feauture,more cost,usually not available on the economy ended tractors.

Have you stopped by any of the dealers yet,and looked over some tractors,or picked up brochures?

Are there any Deutz-Fahr dealers in your area? If so look into the new AgroFarm series.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #15  
Taking another tack on the whole idea, which I think is wonderful, maybe you could figure out which dealer he likes the best and visit them. Beforehand, let someone at the tractor store know what you're up to and how much you are willing to spend. Then let Dad try the seats out and when he starts grinning pull out the checkbook and say "Happy Birthday" or whatever. That way he picks the tractor that fits him best.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #16  
OK, what a great idea you have. And, if your budget can stand it, you are truly looking at a gift that he'll grin about each time his fanny hits the seat.

If it were me, and my dad had the needs you've outlined, I'd do the following. Note that it is the proper attachments, NOT THE TRACTOR (assuming reasonable reliability and proper horsepower), that make all the difference in how much personal effort has to go into getting work done.

Determine if he is very set in his ways about brand of tractor. Some people are. If he is, then that decision is made for you. Or, possibly the options can be cut down since he may have a poor opinion of one brand or another....

For your purpose, unless you find a special situation gently used tractor with exactly the features you are looking for and in SUPERB condition, I believe you are looking at a new tractor.

I believe the following is the general direction... each item is selected for your prime objective... let him enjoy the tractor rather than have to struggle with it.

Get a cab with air conditioning (hay dust can be terrible, also heat/cold)

Get a front end loader with quick attach (ease of use)

Get a bucket for moving materials, gravel, etc for the FEL. This has a very large number of uses. Put chain hooks on the bucket.

If he doesn't have a bale spear for a quick attach front end loader, get one, assuming he does round bales.

Consider a rear 3 point hitch hay fork as well. This way, he could carry two bales at once.

Get extra lights on both front and back.. make sure they are placed so that there is visibility all around tractor, front and rear, even when front end loader and rear equipment is attached. This is a SAFETY factor at his age.

Get three pairs of rear hydraulic fittings. This is a convience feature that gets toward mandatory for the equipment you are discussing. Many TBNérs have increased the number of hydraulic fittings they have afte they have purchased a tractor.

Inventory his existing three point equipment, if he has some and the intent is to keep it, then consider, seriously, a hydrraulic top link. This facilitates mightly the attachment of a piece of three point equipment. My hydraulic top link is a major source of satisfaction for me... and takes changeing implements from a major task with crow bars and sledge hammers to a no sweat (literally) process.

I think you'll be in the 100 hp range.... I know they cost a lot, but having the extra horsepower when you need it means NOT fighting the tractor and equipment when the going gets tough... and that's worth it at his age.

Make sure he has a mobile phone.. a safety item to carry with him while on the tractor.

Make sure that there is a large capacity tool box so that the necessary tools can be close at hand. If tractor does not come with one, you MUST make sure that somehow one is added to the tractor. It's no fun having to struggle to find tools out in the field,

Four wheel drive is, my opinion, a must.

The least leg lifting and moving to change gears and directions , the better. This means a wet clutch/power shift type of transmission is THE way to go, particularly for an older person. This is my opinion and I believe he would learn to use it quickly, even if he is currently biased against it.

Proper tractor weighting is a must... discuss with your dealer and get extra weight added either to the wheels (liquid in tires or wheel weights) at the outset.

Ag tires, of course, are needed.

I love a steering wheel knob on my steering wheel.... $10 item with lots of satisfaction.

You should pay attention to height of step(s) to get into tractor... as flexibility declines with age, this becomes extremely important.

Check the various tractor seats.... make sure that there are numerous adjustmenbts so that it can be positioned comfortably, steering wheel adjustments as well. This is a large impact on fatigue after several hours in the seat.

Give some preference in your thoughts to a dealer that both you and your dad like and is reasonably close by. Many at TBN who have significant mechanical skills, etc. obtain their best price from dealers at a distance from their tractor home. Others swear by using a near-by dealer assuming the price is realistic. I think your situation calls for a closer dealer focused on personal service, rather than a long distance one where service, if needed, would be more difficult..
-------
By the way, WELCOME TO TBN!!!!! If you have the time, you might expand your personal information so we can determine what part of the country you are in, type of land (sand, clay, etc.) and other information that plays into tractoring recommendations.

There are many great tractors out there to choose from. I'd narrow down to 2 brands based on personal preference or compatibility with the dealer. Then price ALL the features you need and make a decision.

For your awareness, my personal preference is to Kubota tractors for balance of price, reliability, features, dealership service. But, that's just me.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #17  
nrrd said:
This is my situation. My dad is 78 years old, loves farming, and has always had to make do with tractors that may or may not make it thru the day without breaking down. I want to surprise him when hay season gets here in a few weeks with a new, or nearly new tractor. Now, I'm not too bright when it comes to tractor specs. I want a tractor that will handle a 5x6 hay roller, a 17' tedder, a 9' disk mower, and a 15' batwing rotary cutter. All on rolling land. Will probably go 4wd with a loader. I will be choosing between Case, McCormick, Kubota, and New Holland due to local dealers. What do I need in terms of a dependable transmission, horse power, etc. What brand and model best suits my needs? Tractor will be used about 400 hours per year haying, hogging, & feeding hay. Probably going with a cab tractor for dad's comfort. Please advise me as to what I need and should expect to spend. Thanks.

The manufacturers you mentioned in your post all have tractors in the 90-100 hp range, which is what you'll need to handle those implements. With a cab and 4WD, figure on spending $50-70K for a new unit.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #18  
i sit firmly in the used camp myself... While i dont claim to know a whole lot about AG tractors.

Sticking with a 90-100 hp unit and NH (cause i own a blue one)

hears a listing for a 01 NH TM115 4wd, loader cab, air bla bla bla $45K
2001 NEW HOLLAND TM115 For Sale at TractorHouse.com

course in the same search there seem to be many in the 80-100 hp range from 20-50K as mentioned.

NEW HOLLAND TRACTORS - 40 HP TO 99 HP For Sale at TractorHouse.com

have fun tractor shoping. Let us know what you went with.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #19  
What does he have now? How much land too? What I've been doing with my 82 year old dad is trying to down size him with respect to cars and tools and tractors. Although he may need and want something bigger, would a see if he can get around with two tractors.... A smaller one for standard choirs and use the old onw for the big jobs.... just a thought.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #20  
I posted early in the thread. Just now caught back up. Your dads 1466 is I believe a 141hp machine. Speaking pto hp. You mention leaving the disc mower on it. Next biggest chore you have listed, power requirement wise would be the baler, just ahead of the 15 batwing. Not knowing what brand or model baler, I'm generalizing, but 100 hp is "enough", but a tick more is even better. 15' batwing could operate on 80 or so. Both are pto loads. That's the focus as far as I'm concern. A loader tractor for safely moving round bales is "bigger is better". Higher hp usually relates to heavier tractor. That scores points with a loader. 4WD is most valuable with a loader as far as I'm concerned. Feeding in the winter could use TEN wheel drive sometimes. :( . The other chores mentioned can usually be done as well with 2wd.

Weigh the differences in price (if that's a factor) between 100 hp range and 125 hp range. Once you get used to that much tractor (1466) it's hard to step backwards. 66 series IH's were awsome tractors in their day. Still a BUNCH of cheap hp.