Need help buying tractor for dad

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #21  
I know that it is a smaller tractor than the other people are talking about. But if he is going to keep his other tractor he might want a smaller one for some things. If there is a montana dealer near you check out there 70 horse tractor. Here is the webisite for it. Montana 70 Series Utility Tractor

Most of the people that I have seen on here that have montana's have been happy with them. I have a 49 horse and I love it. The 70 horse montana has a John Deere engine.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #22  
HOGAN said:
McCormick CMAX 105 --base tractor with 1104c turbo Perkins, 268 cid,98 hp, 12f/12r trans. with mech. shuttle. Dual remotes. Cab, air seat,4wd, 540- 1000 rpm pto,loader, joystick,bucket & spear. Not for sure of price in red, but if you find a Landini 105 Powerfarm it will be less money, same tractor! If the dealer wants to sharpen his pencil should be around $42,500.00 -$44,000.00 for package. J.M.H.

Take a look at the John Deere 5603... 99hp Deere PowerTech engine; 12/12 PowrReverser (hydraulic power shuttle) transmission, Dual Mid (joystick control) & Single Rear (lever control) SCV's; Cab; Air Seat; MFWD; 540 / 540e Rear PTO; 542 Loader w/Bucket - $43,000.00

/ Need help buying tractor for dad
Again, thanks for all of the knowlegable advise you people have shared. Obviously, there is a lot about tractors I don't know. I stopped by a CaseIH dealer and checked out a JX95 with cab and a LX730 loader, 4x4. Seemed to be a well built unit (but what do I know). Dealer is asking 40K. Unit is new. What are your thoughts on this tractor and the price? The round baler dad is using is an old Deere 530 which seems to still be doing an excellent job.
Dad farms in Middle Tennessee. Thanks.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #24  
BleedGreen said:
Take a look at the John Deere 5603... 99hp Deere PowerTech engine; 12/12 PowrReverser (hydraulic power shuttle) transmission, Dual Mid (joystick control) & Single Rear (lever control) SCV's; Cab; Air Seat; MFWD; 540 / 540e Rear PTO; 542 Loader w/Bucket - $43,000.00

Local Deere dealer has that combo on sale right now. $38,900 while the supply last's. Not a bad deal compared to a lot of 100hp cab and loader rigs.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #25  
nrrd said:
Again, thanks for all of the knowlegable advise you people have shared. Obviously, there is a lot about tractors I don't know. I stopped by a CaseIH dealer and checked out a JX95 with cab and a LX730 loader, 4x4. Seemed to be a well built unit (but what do I know). Dealer is asking 40K. Unit is new. What are your thoughts on this tractor and the price? The round baler dad is using is an old Deere 530 which seems to still be doing an excellent job.
Dad farms in Middle Tennessee. Thanks.

530 Deere has a great rep. Known as one of the reasons why Deere round balers are so popular. 100hp is plenty. How's the land lay? Hilly? Flat? Wet or dry? That'll effect how much weight and to a certain extent, how much power you need.

I took a look at the Bush Hog website. Their current best selling disc mower in 9' requires only 50 hp with a 90hp gear box rating. So 80 to 100 hp will handle baler, mower, and all other chores. Generally speaking, once a fellow has a few minutes in a nice cab equipped tractor, they park their old one. Heat and air feels better the older you get. ;)

/ Need help buying tractor for dad
Hay fields are flat to rolling. Pastures are rolling for the most part. One very steep pasture which Dad uses a small tractor with 5' bush hog to cover and small tractor with 200 to 300 pound spreader to apply fertilize.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #27  
nrrd said:
Hay fields are flat to rolling. Pastures are rolling for the most part. One very steep pasture which Dad uses a small tractor with 5' bush hog to cover and small tractor with 200 to 300 pound spreader to apply fertilize.

With that in mind, 141hp of the 1466 is like duck hunting with a howitzer. 85 or 90hp will do everything he has to do. 4WD and a cab will allow it done safe and comfortable.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #28  
The JD 5603 seems to be a great deal aimed at haying. I think JD looked at what a hay bailer would need in a tractor, designed it with most everything included and put a great price on it. I'm guessing its assembled in Georgia.

I sure would love to have one...Just don't quite have the funds.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #29  
As my FIL was winding down his farming, he kept several tractors, one for each implement he used often, more or less. The big machine was a Ford 9700. The rear remotes allowed him to use a seriously large rear blade -- 8'? -- and control all 4 blade motions from the cab. This was flat ground, and he sometimes used the 9700 to rescue the county snow removal equipment when they got stuck with their road graders.

After retiring completely from farming but renting out his ground, he was pretty impressed to sit in the renters tractor pulling a 30' wide rig in one pass over the field to accomplish everything it took to get the corn in the ground while sitting in air conditioned comfort listening to the ball game.

In short, you can get as fancy and comfortable as you want, including GPS guidance systems if you want. It depends on what he's comfortable with and how thick your wallet is.

/ Need help buying tractor for dad #30  
NRRD, I hope you are also looking into various attachments/accessories and not just the tractor iteslf... the tractor, although important, is just an engine.... it's the attachments/accessories that get things done, and cause joy/heartache while doing it.