Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much.

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #11  
Thanks for the help. I've got 2 Kubota dealers within 30 min or so, and probably 3 or 4 JD's in the same distance.

Also looking hard at used machines. Found a good deal on a L3400DT, but didn't know if I would get along ok with it being geared. My current old tractor is geared, but I was originally wanting HST. The same dealer has a L3240HST for a couple grand more with the same hours. Both have FEL. The L3240HST has a Box Blade, and the L3400 has a box, and mower.

Is the Hydro L3240 worth a couple grand more?

It would be to me and the Grand L Series has other features not found on the other models such as tilt steering.

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #12  
Before you get to far into the buying if you were using a 43 hp tractor for mowing what size mower do you have. The rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp per foot of mower. I wouldn't undersize the tractor too much for 60 acres if you mow much of it.

Another worthy option on the loader is the quick attach bucket systems. Be able to hook up a set of forks is great for many things around the farm.

MarkV

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #13  
Thanks for the help. I've got 2 Kubota dealers within 30 min or so, and probably 3 or 4 JD's in the same distance.

Also looking hard at used machines. Found a good deal on a L3400DT, but didn't know if I would get along ok with it being geared. My current old tractor is geared, but I was originally wanting HST. The same dealer has a L3240HST for a couple grand more with the same hours. Both have FEL. The L3240HST has a Box Blade, and the L3400 has a box, and mower.

Is the Hydro L3240 worth a couple grand more?

So it looks like Kubota and JD are in the running.

HST tractors are handy for back and forth work with the FEL or mowing in tight or irregular spots.

I plow my 6-acre hayfield with an old 7-ft Towner offset disc with that Mahindra 5525 I mentioned previously.

DSCF0112 (Small).JPG DSCF0114 (Small).JPG

It's a heavy disc--probably 800 lb-- and I add about 500 lb of extra weight with those concrete-filled buckets strapped to the disc to get the disc to bite better and use a tire drag to help break up the clods. I tow it at 5-6 mph in 4L gear. You need high ground speed to get discs to work properly.

So the tractor hp you need will depend a lot on the soil condition in your food plot areas. My soil is pretty gravely and hard, not like typical Midwest soil so I have to make several passes over my hayfield at different angles to get the plowing done right. If your soil is softer, your disc probably with bite deeper and you won't have to make as many passes as I do. But, remember, the deeper the disc bites, the more tractor hp you need to pull it. I'd check with nearby neighbors to find out what tractor hp and what type and size discs they use and recommend.

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #14  
Bunnyblaster,
I would consider moving up in size, look into a 50 to 60 hp tractor. While it may seem higher in cost, it is cheaper than trading up in a year or so. I would think at a minimum you need to be able to handle 6' implements. A 60 hp tractor will work with 6' thru 8' implements quite well.

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #15  
Sorry for interrupting this great conversation but my "Fur Buddies" really really like your user name:laughing::laughing:

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much.
Yeah, my pups love it too. They actually caught a rabbit earlier this year...on Easter Sunday no less. Bunnies don't stand much of a chance when being chased by two german shepherds with high prey drives.

Back to the tractor stuff. I spent Saturday looking at dealers in the area. And after sitting on the machines, I like the 3320 more and more....even if it is higher than I wanted to do. I also liked the L3240 model Kubota. So, now its down to these two really. I liked the JD pedal configuration better, but what about loader options? Doesn't the Kubota pretty much come standard with the skid steer type quick attach? The JD 300cx has it as an option, but I haven't priced how much extra that is.

The big reason I don't want to go with much bigger of a tractor is that much of this work is going to be done in the woods. I think a bigger machine won't get through our property as well. I won't be mowing much, and I'll buy 5 ft mower when I get the new machine. The other one is being sold with the Long 445.

The Kubota dealer I would probably go with is 30 min away, but the JD dealer is just up the road about 10 miles. hmmmmm.....

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #17  
Yeah, my pups love it too. They actually caught a rabbit earlier this year...on Easter Sunday no less. Bunnies don't stand much of a chance when being chased by two german shepherds with high prey drives.

Back to the tractor stuff. I spent Saturday looking at dealers in the area. And after sitting on the machines, I like the 3320 more and more....even if it is higher than I wanted to do. I also liked the L3240 model Kubota. So, now its down to these two really. I liked the JD pedal configuration better, but what about loader options? Doesn't the Kubota pretty much come standard with the skid steer type quick attach? The JD 300cx has it as an option, but I haven't priced how much extra that is.

The big reason I don't want to go with much bigger of a tractor is that much of this work is going to be done in the woods. I think a bigger machine won't get through our property as well. I won't be mowing much, and I'll buy 5 ft mower when I get the new machine. The other one is being sold with the Long 445.

The Kubota dealer I would probably go with is 30 min away, but the JD dealer is just up the road about 10 miles. hmmmmm.....

I don't think you will regret buying either, my preference is for the Kubota, but that is just a personal thing and could not come up with any compelling reasons to pick one over the other. Good luck

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #18  

Don't know if skid steer FEL QA is a standard Kubota feature, but I have it on my Mahindra 5525 and highly recommend it.
Also, get double or triple remote hydraulic attachments on your new tractor. It's easier (and likely cheaper) to get these when you buy the tractor than retrofitting them afterwards. Here's a photo of the triples on my 5525

DSCF0066 (Small).JPG DSCF0067 (Small).JPG

I also recommend a metal safety shield to protect yourself when you're using your bush hog rotary mower. Here's mine-- a piece of expanded metal screen from Home Depot (or a local weld shop) attached to the ROPS with hose clamps (don't drill into or weld to the ROPS).

DSCF0084 (Small).JPG

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #19  
[/QUOTE]
I also recommend a metal safety shield to protect yourself when you're using your bush hog rotary mower. Here's mine-- a piece of expanded metal screen from Home Depot (or a local weld shop) attached to the ROPS with hose clamps (don't drill into or weld to the ROPS).

[/QUOTE]

I took a pretty good lick in my back while operating a rotary cutter about 10 years ago. I went to the house to have my wife see what the damage was and she found buried in my back a piece of fence wire about 3/4 inch long. She just pulled it out and no long term harm came of the incident, however, I went straight to my shop and cut a piece of plywood to go behind my tractor seat. That metal screen or something similar would be a must for my cutting, if you don't have a cab. Ken Sweet

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much.
That metal screen is a great idea. I will definitely put one of those up. A buddy works at a welding shop/manufacturing facility. I'm sure he can hook me up.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like its down to the best deal I can find. I'd like to find a used one, but it seems they're few and far between...and not much off the cost of a new one.