Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much.

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #21  
We currently have a Long 445 we've been using for mowing, but its time we get something with a loader. I don't really think we need the 43 hp the Long has, and I'd like something that sits a little smaller. We've got 60 acres in southern IL, and its not really flat. Theres an area of CRP that I want to convert to food plots, so I need something that will pull a small disc ok. Other than that I'll use it for mowing and loader work. We've got lots of stuff to clean up on the property.

The way I understand it, the E series Deere 305 loader will not quick detach from the tractor, while the L3400 will. Trying to decide if this is a must.

Any thoughts? Any other machines I should look at? Can I get the prices down any, or is this about as low as they go?

thanks

Aaron

Sixty acres is alot of ground for a 30hp @ pto tractor. If your projects are limited to "just" a few of those acres and you have no forseeable plans to increase those chores to include more ground; then you'll be happy with a smaller machine. If you ever imagine doing more with your land than a few acres of mowing and some small food plots - I'd be looking at 50-60hp machines.

That said - stay with your original thought on HST vs gear. Loader work and small mowing jobs - HST - no contest.

I'm a believer in leaving the loader on. It adds ballast along the front end of the tractor and for hills and uneven ground (especially with a brush hog type mower on the back) and is very important to maintain both steering control as well as stability. If you drop the loader; you'll need 600lbs of front end weights to safely mow with a brush hog mower in uneven, hilly locations.

I drop my bucket (I have the SS quick attach system) and go about my work. My old tractor had a QA loader and I think I dropped in off the tractor - once. If you search for threads on the various forums here on TBN (all brands) you'll discover legions of complaints and concerns about misadjusted, loose, poor performing QA loaders. There are several design approaches by manufacturers to adjust and align the QA loaders - shims, wedges, etc. but they all have their deficiencies. I'd take a solid-mount loader any day over a QA (unless I needed to finish mow my yard next to the house). But, then I'd be doing that with a 20hp tractor..

AKfish

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #22  
Postscript - prices. Can't speak to Kubota pricing for a final sale; other than the times I've shopped there - they wouldn't discount new tractors as low as Deere.

A reasonable Deere purchase appears to range from 10-15% off MSRP available on the JD website - build your own. Kubota has that feature available, too.

The E models have a bit less wiggle room for the dealer's to work with than say; the 3320. IMO - you should reasonably expect to work a deal for 15% on the 3320.

Best of luck with your decision.

AKfish