Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
When I lived in Maine I cut a lot of wood and like to think I know what I'm doing and stay as safe as I can. That's how I wound up with low-kickback chain in two saws that I haven't used in a long time. There are few trees where I live.

In getting ready to use them, I can hand file the teeth correctly but forgot how I used to do the rakers on this chain. There is another piece of metal on the chain that interferes with filing the raker. I don't know if a standard raker plate is what to use or what to do and not much on the internet for advice.

Any help or advice on filing low-kickback chain rakers?

Last edited:
   / Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #2  
Which low kick back chain? Pic worth 1000 words or at least more info then that given.

Some file just like normal and some dont.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain.
Here they are...
IMG_3889.jpgIMG_3890.jpg

In looking at these ( from two saws) magnified, I can see the anti-kickback things are just thin rakers the same height as the rakers. What do you think I should do?

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #4  
Those 3/8LP 325 chain with shark fins you just take the raker down with the flat file. Those are easy ones to do.

Slowest dang cutting crap chains made IMO in 3/8LP too. Those are what I use for root cutting.

Buy some good chain IMO.

Last edited:
   / Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #6  
Carefully remove the two chains and buy replacement loops of Stihl chain.
Where proper PPE and be careful.
"Safety chain" is for people who shouldn't be operating chainsaws.
"Safety chain" is for people who shouldn't be operating chainsaws.(y)
Agree and couldn't have said it better myself.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain.
Those 3/8LP 325 chain with shark fins you just take the raker down with the flat file. Those are easy ones to do.

Slowest dang cutting crap chains made IMO in 3/8LP too. Those are what I use for root cutting.

By some good chain IMO.
Thank you. My cutting on the flat ground farmland is limited to limbing shelter belt trees. Next chain will be normal.

I've cut plenty over the years but learned watching Buckin' Billy Ray teaching how to sharpen a chain. An entertaining guy.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #8  
A dozen years ago, I bought a roll of chain. I think I got it from Oregon maybe (??) They cut it into loops for me so a box arrives and I've got 20/30 individual chain loops in boxes ready to go.

(I did this because I had taken a chain out to be sharpened.... was felling a tree and the tree settled, pinching my bar. I smiled, went to garage and got my extra bar and freshly sharpened chain......which would not cut butter. They didn't touch the rakers. I'll leave it at that rather than describe how I felt, especially with a tree halfway sawn thorugh)

Now I sharpen myself. Rakers annoy me so last time I thought I'd try an experiment. I might get skinned alive for saying this but, I took my hand held 4" grinder and with a couple light touches, ground them down as best I could to zero.

Went to go cut paying attention to what's going on.... if chain got wonky I was going to flush the project and just slap another chain on. Worked great. I might do that to the rest of them when they are up for sharpening. Didn't take too long.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #9  
You can buy a raker gauge that sits on top of the chain with a cut out for the raker. Use a flat file and file according to the gauge.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #10  
I’ve got a Stihl racker gauge I use and maybe file them a hair lower. I use a Stihl chains but there are other good ones I know. I’ve never seen a chain like the OP showed in his pictures.