Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #11  
A dozen years ago, I bought a roll of chain. I think I got it from Oregon maybe (??) They cut it into loops for me so a box arrives and I've got 20/30 individual chain loops in boxes ready to go.

(I did this because I had taken a chain out to be sharpened.... was felling a tree and the tree settled, pinching my bar. I smiled, went to garage and got my extra bar and freshly sharpened chain......which would not cut butter. They didn't touch the rakers. I'll leave it at that rather than describe how I felt, especially with a tree halfway sawn thorugh)

Now I sharpen myself. Rakers annoy me so last time I thought I'd try an experiment. I might get skinned alive for saying this but, I took my hand held 4" grinder and with a couple light touches, ground them down as best I could to zero.

Went to go cut paying attention to what's going on.... if chain got wonky I was going to flush the project and just slap another chain on. Worked great. I might do that to the rest of them when they are up for sharpening. Didn't take too long.
You’re saying you completely removed the rakers?

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #12  
Here they are...
View attachment 822334View attachment 822335

In looking at these ( from two saws) magnified, I can see the anti-kickback things are just thin rakers the same height as the rakers. What do you think I should do?
I take the chain off of the saw when they come to the shop for sharpening. Bend the chain on each side of the safety link and run then across the bench grinder. And then treat the depth gauges as normal.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #13  
Hopefully the OP has learned what he needed to know.
The first/last time that K had one of those safety chains I put a fresh wheel on my angle grinder and took them down so that they didn't cause problems. I then was able to file the rakers the same way I always do. Since then I've always kept a new chain on hand and replace it the first time it gets put on the saw. I also have two or three old chains kicking around.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #14  
I went back and looked at the OP’s pics again. I don’t understand the purpose of the weird extra link? Almost like a skip chain? I assume it’s a antikick back feature.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain.
I went back and looked at the OP’s pics again. I don’t understand the purpose of the weird extra link? Almost like a skip chain? I assume it’s a antikick back feature.
I'm the OP and that's just the way saws came out of a local place that sold saws. I believe it to be anti-kickback. I used to cut a lot 30 years ago but it's not 30 years ago any more. There are almost no trees here and I'm older and rusty. I sharpened according the the clip from Billy I inserted in this thread and the saws cut perfect. I wear chaps, boots, Kevlar gloves and a helmet since I've seen saw cuts.

All I do is limb shelter belt trees and occasionally cut down a 16" softwood. It's pretty easy, I get nice chips, no dust and fly through the cut. People here cut in flip-flops, one handed or on shaky ladders and things any woodcutter would shudder at in disbelief.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #16  
the extra weird link is a safety link to help prevent the cutters from contacting the wood when they go around the nose of the bar. When the chain goes around the bar nose the rear of that link will extend higher than the depth gauge.

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #17  
grab the 4" angle grinder and get rid of that crap between the cutters!!! Thats the first thing I do when I run into one of these stupid design chains!

/ Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #18  
   / Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #19  
I take the chain off of the saw when they come to the shop for sharpening. Bend the chain on each side of the safety link and run then across the bench grinder. And then treat the depth gauges as normal.
This is what I do.^^^ Then buy non-safety chain in the future.

Last edited:
   / Need help filing rakers on a "low-kickback" chain. #20  
Take a half a dozen swipes with the file over each cutter. See how it cuts. If you
Want more hit it again. You can feel it if it starts getting grabby on you.